Last Movie You Watched

Started by Drasko, April 06, 2007, 07:51:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

North Star

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on July 05, 2019, 08:25:49 AM
Well, now I have at last seen Blood Simple. I guess I still do not understand the title.
Quoth WikipediaFalsani, Cathleen. (2009). The Dude Abides: The Gospel According to the Coen Brothers. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan. p. 31.: The film's title derives from the Dashiell Hammett novel Red Harvest (1929), in which the term "blood simple" describes the addled, fearful mindset of people after prolonged immersion in violent situations.

Title aside, what did you think?
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

aligreto

I am minded to watch Kieslowski's Dekalog serise. I have started at the beginning with Dekalog, Part 1....

This is an emotionally powerful film that has some haunting moments, both visually and musically. "Thou shalt not worship graven images", in this case logic, reason and computers. The results can be tragic; this film explores that process very well.

SonicMan46

A couple of new Criterion BDs just added to my collection from a half-off Barnes & Noble sale:

Swing Time (1936) w/ Fred Astaire & Ginger Rogers who made 10 movies together from 1933 to 1949; this is one of their best IMO, especially w/ the music and lyrics by Jerome Kern & Dorothy Fields - the blu-ray restoration is not as pristine as most Criterion efforts but is still stunning for its age (80+ years!) - a review HERE - a 'must see' if a fan of the dancing film genre.

Harold and Maude (1971) w/ Ruth Gordon and Bud Cort - as stated in the short synopsis below, considered a 'cult classic' (whatever that is worth?) - a quirky funny movie depending on your 'comedy genes', I guess; but Susan & I enjoyed - from the year of our first wedding anniversary, so into the music of the times which is by Cat Stevens in the film.  If not familiar w/ this movie, worth streaming at least once.  Dave

QuoteCult classic pairs Cort as a dead-pan disillusioned 20-year-old obsessed with suicide and a loveable Gordon as a fun-loving 80-year-old eccentric. They meet at a funeral, and develop a taboo romantic relationship, in which they explore the tired theme of the meaning of life with a fresh perspective.

Karl Henning

Quote from: North Star on July 05, 2019, 11:13:57 AM
Quoth WikipediaFalsani, Cathleen. (2009). The Dude Abides: The Gospel According to the Coen Brothers. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan. p. 31.: The film's title derives from the Dashiell Hammett novel Red Harvest (1929), in which the term "blood simple" describes the addled, fearful mindset of people after prolonged immersion in violent situations.

Title aside, what did you think?

Thanks, Karlo. I enjoyed it.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

aligreto

The Discovery

This is a deep, thought provoking film about a search for the afterlife. It is definitely worth a watch if you want something different and meaningful.

aligreto

Kieslowski: Dekalog, Part 2

The second installment in the series is another wonderful film which investigates the interrelationships between various people and the various effects that circumstances and events have on those relationships. The performances of the two main protagonists are very fine.

aligreto

Cold Light of Day

This is a quite watchable and entertaining enough thriller.

Florestan

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 27, 2019, 03:10:47 PM
One of the biggest letdowns for me was that Scott raised more questions than he answered

Agreed completely. Pretty much all actions of Prometheus's characters, humans, androids or "engineers" alike, are quite illogical. There is no strong rationale behind any of them, save the lady's self-performed abortion. No, really, that movie is crap.

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

SonicMan46

Don Juan DeMarco (1994) w/ Marlon Brando, Johnny Depp, and Faye Dunaway - this film has mixed reviews, e.g. 69% on Rotten Tomatoes (check link below, if interested), but we like the movie and watch about once a year - one of my main attractions is to see Brando and Depp together - shortened synopsis below - recommended if a 'pyschiatric fantasy' piques your interest and you're fans of the main stars?

Dick Tracy (1990) w/ Warren Beatty, Glenne Headley, Madonna, Al Pacino, Dustin Hoffman, Mandy Patinkin and many others - based on the comic book character - another film w/ mixed reviews (e.g. 63%, Rotten Tomatoes HERE) - this is a 'love or hate' experience, I guess, so look at the link first if planning to watch - for me, the lush primary color scenes are fabulous on blu-ray and the make-up making a number of the actors unrecognized - again, recommended w/ the reservations discussed - Susan and I enjoy watching this movie together on occasion.  Dave :)

QuoteA psychiatrist treats a most unusual patient, only to find that the doctor is the one who gains the most from their sessions in this philosophical romantic comedy. A young man in a mask and cape (played by Johnny Depp) is standing atop a billboard, threatening to jump. When the potential suicide is finally talked down, he's brought to a psychiatric facility where after one doctor washes his hands of the case, he's placed under the supervision of Dr. Jack Mickler (Marlon Brando), an aging psychiatrist soon to retire. The patient informs Mickler that he is actually the great lover Don Juan.........LINK

JBS

Quote from: SonicMan46 on July 07, 2019, 08:23:10 AM

Dick Tracy (1990) w/ Warren Beatty, Glenne Headley, Madonna, Al Pacino, Dustin Hoffman, Mandy Patinkin and many others - based on the comic book character - another film w/ mixed reviews (e.g. 63%, Rotten Tomatoes HERE) - this is a 'love or hate' experience, I guess, so look at the link first if planning to watch - for me, the lush primary color scenes are fabulous on blu-ray and the make-up making a number of the actors unrecognized - again, recommended w/ the reservations discussed - Susan and I enjoy watching this movie together on occasion.  Dave :)

I can't say I loved DT, but I certainly thought it was a good one. My main complaint was Mr. Mumbles, as played by Dustin Hoffman, whose mumbles were so mumbly that I can't see how any of the other characters, much less the movie audience, was supposed to know what he was saying.  There were enough plot twists, especially those involving Madonna's character, that the movie can't be classified as a straight out comic blockbuster. It owes as much to the film noir genre as it does to its actual source.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Karl Henning

Quote from: JBS on July 07, 2019, 08:43:29 AM
I can't say I loved DT, but I certainly thought it was a good one. My main complaint was Mr. Mumbles, as played by Dustin Hoffman, whose mumbles were so mumbly that I can't see how any of the other characters, much less the movie audience, was supposed to know what he was saying.  There were enough plot twists, especially those involving Madonna's character, that the movie can't be classified as a straight out comic blockbuster. It owes as much to the film noir genre as it does to its actual source.

I need to watch that one again. Haven't seen it since it opened. So, at the time I had no bottom who Mandy Patinkin was. But maybeMandy Patinkin wasn't Mandy Patinkin, yet....
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

SonicMan46

Quote from: JBS on July 07, 2019, 08:43:29 AM

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on July 07, 2019, 09:32:22 AM
I need to watch that one again. Haven't seen it since it opened. So, at the time I had no bottom who Mandy Patinkin was. But maybeMandy Patinkin wasn't Mandy Patinkin, yet....

Hoffman as 'Mumbles' - not sure anyone understood him until Tracy slowed down the tape and his voice was then clear - by 1990, Patinkin had already done a number of TV and movie roles, including the films 'Ragtime', 'Yentl', and 'The Princess Bride' (IMDB list below); and also appeared on Broadway in 'Evita' and 'Sunday in the Park with George' - Dave

Karl Henning

Quote from: SonicMan46 on July 07, 2019, 09:51:31 AM
Hoffman as 'Mumbles' - not sure anyone understood him until Tracy slowed down the tape and his voice was then clear - by 1990, Patinkin had already done a number of TV and movie roles, including the films 'Ragtime', 'Yentl', and 'The Princess Bride' (IMDB list below); and also appeared on Broadway in 'Evita' and 'Sunday in the Park with George' - Dave

I was a latecomer to The Princess Bride, Dave
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

SonicMan46

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on July 07, 2019, 12:22:45 PM
I was a latecomer to The Princess Bride, Dave

Hi Karl - believe that movie has come up a number of times in this thread :) - yet another fav of mine!  But if you get a chance to see Tracy, try to catch a blu-ray version (e.g. cheap HD stream off Amazon) - Dave

Ken B

Madiel

Dick Tracy also has some of the best songs Madonna ever did, arguably because Sondheim wrote several of them.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Karl Henning

Quote from: Madiel on July 08, 2019, 01:12:31 AM
Dick Tracy also has some of the best songs Madonna ever did, arguably because Sondheim wrote several of them.

Tangential Thread Duty:
The San Francisco Symphony concert performance of Sweeney Todd. Loved it!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

SimonNZ

Front Runner: very well written, but not a very interesting story

Vice: a very interesting story, but not very well written

SonicMan46

Quote from: SimonNZ on July 08, 2019, 09:24:23 AM

Vice: a very interesting story, but not very well written

Despite the mixed reviews (above from Rotten Tomatoes), we streamed Vice from Amazon back in May - we enjoyed the film and Christian Bale's make-up/performance, but could have dug deeper into the character.  Dave :)

SonicMan46

Well, still going through my DVD/BD database w/ Susan - again, 'Ladies Choice' - now on the E-Fs - last night watched the two below, both BDs:

Erin Brockovich (2000) w/ Julia Roberts, Albert Finney, et al - biopic dramatization of a true story (short synopsis below) - 5 Oscar nominations, Roberts winner for Best Actress.  Recommended w/ Julia in great 'physical form'! ;)

East of Eden (1955) w/ James Dean, Julie Harris, Raymond Massey, Jo Van Fleet et al. - first of Dean's 3 films before his tragic accidental death at age 24 years - based in part on Steinbeck's book - short synopsis below for those unfamiliar w/ the novel/film - a definite must watch if never seen before; excellent restoration on BD.  Dave :)

QuoteErin Brockovich (Julia Roberts) is a woman in a tight spot. Following a car accident in which Erin is not at fault, Erin pleads with her attorney Ed Masry (Albert Finney) to hire her at his law firm. Erin stumbles upon some medical records placed in real estate files. She convinces Ed to allow her to investigate, where she discovers a cover-up involving contaminated water in a local community which is causing devastating illnesses among its residents.

QuoteIn this film based on John Steinbeck's epic novel, Cal Trask (James Dean), the son of a California farmer (Raymond Massey), feels that his father cares only about his brother, Aron (Richard Davalos). When Cal embarks on a business venture to gain the favor of his dad, he finds himself dealing with his estranged mother (Jo Van Fleet), now the owner of a brothel, and tensions in the family rise even further when he begins to fall for Aron's girlfriend, Abra (Julie Harris).