Last Movie You Watched

Started by Drasko, April 06, 2007, 07:51:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Quote from: SonicMan46 on July 27, 2019, 07:20:23 AM
Boy, I've not seen that film since it's release - probably saw in a theater in Ann Arbor w/ my future wife?  Now available as a BD and can be streamed on Amazon - might put on a 'to watch' list!  Dave

My friend Scott characterizes as part Tati, part Kubrick, and indeed Terry Southern was also a scriptwriter for Dr Strangelove. The typeface for the credits even looks the same. I liked it so well, Dave, the Blu-ray is on my Wish List.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Thread Duty:

Back to the Future & Back to the Future II
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

aligreto

Stoker

This film focuses on the interrelationship between three people after a death and, in particular, one character. It is a good watch and worthy of your time.

George

Second viewing of this one, liked it even more the second time.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

aligreto

Kieslowski: Dekalog, Part 5

This is another very intense film and it explores the correlation between killing and death, and the respective consequences, from both sides of the legal persuasion. It certainly pulls no punches in terms of the delivery of its message. It makes for engrossing viewing.

SimonNZ

I was disappointed to find this more frivilous and comedic than the previous Hirokazu Kore-eda films I've seen.

Karl Henning

The Blues Brothers on Blu-ray.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

drogulus

Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood

It's a Quentin Tarantino film. You have been warned. Margot Robbie is wonderful as Sharon Tate.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Madiel

Scandinavian film festival again: That Time of Year

A very funny and also touching film with dramatic elements, about a family Christmas where plenty of things go wrong. Perfectly captures what it's like to come together with people you only see once a year because you're related to them. Thoroughly enjoyable.

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

ritter

First viewing of Jean Renoir's Le dejeuner sur l'herbe (Picnic on the grass):

Farcical, naive, sketchy at some points, but a sort of Provençal magical realism, visually beautiful, and ultimately endearing. And Catherine Rouvel is so fresh and beautiful as Nenette!  A pleasure to watch.  :)

aligreto

Everest

Based on a true story this is both a watchable and realistic depiction of the very harsh realities on the mountain.

ritter

Another French classic:

Quite wonderful... :)

aligreto

Alien vs Predator

This was a total waste of my time.

LKB

Quote from: aligreto on July 30, 2019, 08:45:39 AM
Alien vs Predator

Indeed. I suffered through it as well when it was in the theaters, at the insistence of another. He eventually earned my forgiveness, but he had to work at it.

:D,

LKB
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

drogulus

Alien vs Predator

I'm trying to imagine an alternative version of me that would go see this film.

Still trying....

Almost there.....

No, this is an actively avoid.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

aligreto

Yes, if anyone has not yet seen it, it is that bad.

Karl Henning

Alien vs Predator

I had speculated on those lines, thanks for taking one for the team.

Thread Duty...

Funnier than ever: 1941
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

SimonNZ

AvP - that's the one set in Antarctica?

I actually thought that was entertaingly trashy. Unlike the ones that followed which really were horrible.

Biffo

Quote from: SimonNZ on July 30, 2019, 05:15:54 PM
AvP - that's the one set in Antarctica?

I actually thought that was entertaingly trashy. Unlike the ones that followed which really were horrible.

That sums it up.

It has been shown on UK television numerous times but I have only seen it all the way through once, usually I missed the start and so a lot of it didn't make sense. I may have only watched it to the end once also. It is the sort of thing I used to come across while listlessly channel flicking.

On a higher plane, All is true is the latest film I have watched. It held my interest and at times was very moving but I can't imagine watching it again. Kenneth Branagh with a false nose as Shakespeare was perplexing; I kept thinking who is this? - I missed some of the opening titles and was too lazy to retrieve the DVD box

aligreto

Alien vs Predator

This has been followed by AVP 2

This one was also poor but not quite so bad as its predecessor.

Well then, you might ask, why watch them or stick with them until their conclusion [which I would not normally do]?. The simple answer is that they were given to me by a colleague in work and there was somewhat of an obligation to watch them as a result.