Started by Drasko, April 06, 2007, 07:51:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Watched Funny Face last night. Diverting, but not destined to be a favorite.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Ken B

The Ox-Bow Incident
1943, directed by William Wellman

Had not seen this in decades.

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Ken B

The Sisters Brothers

Supposedly a comedy, and there are a few recognizable attempts at humor, but mostly just dull and aimless.
Watchable but nothing more.

aligreto

Kieslowski: Dekalog, Part 9

This is a very touching and even tender film about infidelity, its consequences and circumstances within and outside of your control.

SonicMan46

Hi All!  I've been absent the last few weeks mainly because of the 'bug issue' - was frustrating trying to post but hopefully corrected? :)

We've been mainly re-watching JAG - now on the 4th season (aired 1995-2005, 10 seasons, 227 episodes) - our 2nd time through a purchased DVD set - not sure that we will go all the way but enjoying again!.

Streamed a number of recent films from Amazon that were on my 'to see list', but turned all off and no need to even mention their names - ;)

As to films that I own and liked recently:  Hud (1963) w/ Paul Newman, Melvyn Douglas, Patricia Neal, & Brandon deWilde; beautiful B&W photography and great ensemble acting - nominated for 7 Oscars, winner of 3 including Neal (Best Actress) & Douglas (Best Supporting Actor) - highly recommended despite Newman's unlikeable personality for those who are fans of the actor, as I am.

Reap the Wild Wind (1942) w/ John Wayne, Raymond Milland, Paulette Goddard, Raymond Massey, and many others; Ceclle B. DeMille, director - new blu-ray acquisition w/ glorious color restoration - short synopsis below; won an Oscar for 'Visual Effects', although Wayne wrestling a cephalopod is dated, but hey loved it as a kid (a giant squid - in Wake of the Red Witch, 1948, Wayne battles w/ an octopus - he dies in both films, a rarity for 'The Duke').  Dave

QuoteAlong the seaboard of the American South during the 1840s, cut-throat salvagers who profit from the wrecks of transatlantic cargo ships move from exploiting shipwrecks to causing them. As the most dangerous of the salvagers, King Cutler (Raymond Massey), takes aim at the ships of the wealthy Devereaux Company, ambitious ship captain Jack Stuart (John Wayne) and company lawyer Stephen Tolliver (Ray Milland) vie for the hand of feisty Loxi Claiborne (Paulette Goddard).

aligreto

Quote from: SonicMan46 on September 13, 2019, 09:42:14 AM
Hi All!  I've been absent the last few weeks mainly because of the 'bug issue' - was frustrating trying to post but hopefully corrected? :)

Likewise. It is indeed good to be back among friends and like minded thinkers.

Cato

Marvelous score by David Arnold: excellent movie, filmed in Banff, Alberta, Canada.

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

vandermolen

I'd forgotten just how great this film is. One of the classic films I think. I wish that Rumon Gamba would record the extraordinary score by Allan Gray for Chandos:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

aligreto

Knight and Day

Mindless but entertaining.

SimonNZ

Lots to recommend it, but let down by the main character's man-child performance being a little too caricature.

aligreto

Drag Me To Hell

A masterpiece it definitely is not. Don't bother.

Ken B

Ocean's 8

A big bag of not quite good enough to be meh. Some jokes work, but mostly it's just tiresome, with lots of montage and music.  Helena Bonham Carter looks great at 50.

greg

I'm noticing a theme between the posters of the movie I watched last night and the above poster.

Eh... wasn't bad, wasn't good. Just made me want to study Spanish again.
Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

aligreto

Quote from: greg on September 15, 2019, 07:16:47 AM
I'm noticing a theme between the posters of the movie I watched last night and the above poster.

Eh... wasn't bad, wasn't good. Just made me want to study Spanish again.

A least you got something out of your viewing  ;D

Karl Henning

Quote from: aligreto on September 15, 2019, 02:33:43 AM
Drag Me To Hell

A masterpiece it definitely is not. Don't bother.

Agreed!

Thread Duty:
Last night—The Silence of the Lambs
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

aligreto

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on September 15, 2019, 10:02:59 AM

Thread Duty:
Last night—The Silence of the Lambs

Now that one is certainly on a different level altogether.

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Ken B

Crooked House

Based on the book by Agatha Christie. It's hard to put a finger on just why, but this doesn't really work. It's reasonably faithful, and seems like it should have been better than it is, but isn't. I suppose having Julian Sands in the cast never helps.