Last Movie You Watched

Started by Drasko, April 06, 2007, 07:51:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aligreto

Hunter Killer 

A well made action/war/political thriller that is not fast or furiously paced yet still has lots of tension and suspense throughout.

aligreto

Hitman Redemption

I really liked this one and it deserves your time. The pace is slow but the content is of a high standard I thought. 

SonicMan46

Last few nights, streamed the films below on my Apple TV - both were on my 'to see' list - Dave :)

Wildlife (2018) w/ Carey Mulligan, Jake Gyllenhaal, Ed Oxenbould, and Bill Camp - reviews: 6.9/10, IMDB; 94% Rotten Tomatoes; 3.7/5, Amazon - short first synopsis below; like Jake G. and looking forward to watching the film from the reviews, but rather slow and at times boring for me, the reasons for the lower ratings from the Amazonians - would have to do a 3.5/5 there - for those interested but not sure, then check the reviews.

Wild Rose (2018) w/ Jessie Buckley, Julie Walters, et al - short second synopsis below - reviews: 7.3/10, IMDB; 93% Rotten Tomatoes; 3.9/5, Amazon (unfairly downrated for problems w/ the Scottish accents) - Jessie Buckley (born 1989) is an Irish singer and actress w/ a wonderful voice (sounds like a country music singer) and the film has a great soundtrack - watched w/ Susan who had more trouble w/ the Scottish accents, so a consideration - some debate on the Amazon reviews about subtitles (I did not look, so no comment) - highly recommended.

QuoteFourteen-year-old Joe is the only child of Jeanette and Jerry -- a housewife and a golf pro -- in a small town in 1960s Montana. Nearby, an uncontrolled forest fire rages close to the Canadian border, and when Jerry loses his job -- and his sense of purpose -- he decides to join the cause of fighting the fire, leaving his wife and son to fend for themselves. Suddenly forced into the role of an adult, Joe witnesses his mother's struggle as she tries to keep her head above water.

QuoteFresh out of prison, a Scottish woman juggles her job and two children while pursuing her dream of becoming a country music star. She soon gets her chance when she travels to Nashville, Tenn., on a life-changing journey to discover her true voice.

Karl Henning

Blade Runner. If I were organized, I'd watch this next month in Los Angeles, I suppose.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

aligreto

27 Dresses

It was not my choice!! Honestly!!

André

A very enigmatic movie. Lots of loose ends litter the film, with the viewer left to tie - or not - the clues to the narrative. The exact opposite of Denis Villeneuve's way (Incendies, Sicario, Arrival), where all the loose ends get tied up in the film's last 5 minutes. Burning won the FIPRESCI prize at Cannes last year.

1933. A classic film of anarchy and fantasy. Clearly in the same line as René Clair (À nous la liberté) and even Bunuel. Lindsay Anderson's If (1969) could not have seen the light of day without Zéro de conduite.

pjme

Yesterday, on ARTE: l'Allée du roi

https://www.youtube.com/v/z9KcvL8B6E0

An excellent film. Superb actors (Dominique Blanc as madame de Maintenon!) , wonderful dialogues, magnificent sets (Versailles etc.) and real, exquisite music!
Director Nina Companeez 1995 film is based on a novel  by Françoise Chandernagor,  L'allée du roi/The King's Way, memories of Madame de Maintenon - Françoise d'Aubigné, marquise de Maintenon, the second wife of Louis XIV.

Initially destined for TV, it was broadcast in two episodes (almost 4 hours) and later recut for cinema (106 min.).
What the film possibly lacks in (cinematografic) originality, is compensated in elegance, poetry, refinement and emotion.
A thing of beauty!

SimonNZ

Quote from: André on October 24, 2019, 09:34:45 AM
Lots of loose ends litter the film, with the viewer left to tie - or not - the clues to the narrative.

That was also true of Secret Sunshine.

SonicMan46

Quote from: aligreto on October 24, 2019, 08:16:23 AM
27 Dresses

It was not my choice!! Honestly!!

Well, must be a 'chick flick'?  :P 8)  The Amazonians seem to like the $8 DVD deal for 4 movies (insertion above) - Dave  :laugh:

Todd

Zombieland Double Tap.  An enjoyable zombie related entertainment.  Not great cinema, but that's OK.  Bill Murray steals the movie again.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

George

Silly fun with heart. Watched Season 01 prior to seeing this.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

André

NEXT movie I'll watch: The King.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=svVykTznk9Q

Coming up on Netflix next Friday.

Prince Hal is a fascinating, complex character. Hopefully director Michôd and lead Timothée Chalamet will be up to the task.

Karl Henning

So I Married an Axe Murderer. Great fun!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Ken B

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 27, 2019, 01:54:13 PM
So I Married an Axe Murderer. Great fun!
All Scottish cooking is based on a dare.

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

JBS

"Twas a brae mon that first did eat an oyster."
--(allegedly) said by James VI & I

ETA Google gives a more polished, less Scottish version
"He was a very valiant man who first adventured on eating of oysters"

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Ken B

Quote from: JBS on October 27, 2019, 03:45:23 PM
"Twas a brae mon that first did eat an oyster."
--(allegedly) said by James VI & I
I saw canned haggis for sale the other day. I kid you not.

aligreto

aligreto

Karl Henning

Last night, because sometimes you just want to feel good: The African Queen.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA