Started by Drasko, April 06, 2007, 07:51:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Todd

Terminator: Dark Fate.  James Cameron and his current hot property director neatly dispatch with the last three Terminator movies in the first three or so minutes and then deliver a Grrrl Power remake of Terminator 2: Judgment Day.  It's modestly entertaining with now run of the mill effects.  Arnie proves once again that humor is one of his strengths in his very secondary role.  The movie didn't need to be made and the franchise is twenty-eight years past its formidable action movie peak.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

aligreto

T2 Trainspotting

Revisited this one after quite some time and still enjoyed it.

AlberichUndHagen

Not ashamed to admit that I really like this one. It may not be a masterpiece like 2001 but it was highly entertaining (although one could argue that these kind of movies should not be entertaining).

aligreto

Quote from: AlberichUndHagen on November 12, 2019, 07:22:53 AM

Not ashamed to admit that I really like this one. It may not be a masterpiece like 2001 but it was highly entertaining (although one could argue that these kind of movies should not be entertaining).

I also like that one a lot.

aligreto

Little Man Tate

An engrossing and engaging tale that is well told.

Karl Henning

Last night: Spaceballs. Just had to.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

aligreto

SonicMan46

Quote from: aligreto on November 13, 2019, 12:46:06 AM
Little Man Tate

An engrossing and engaging tale that is well told.

One of a small handful of films that my wife & I watch over again together, but has been a while - Dave :)

aligreto

Mechanic: Resurrection

I was in the mood for an action thriller. I had seen it before and I like Jason Statham so I knew what I was in for.

aligreto

Quote from: SonicMan46 on November 14, 2019, 05:06:05 PM

One of a small handful of films that my wife & I watch over again together, but has been a while - Dave :)

Yes, quite a good one Dave.

Todd

The King.  A Netflix mashup of the Henriad presented with a cinematic version of realism, the movie works pretty well.  Robert Pattinson obviously has a good time as the Dauphin, and Joel Edgerton makes Falstaff a serious character of real gravity.  The movie also manages to include one novel form of murder I'd not yet seen on screen.  It could probably benefit from tighter editing.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

aligreto

Central Intelligence

Entertaining nonsense but quite witty in places.

SonicMan46

Couple of movies recently - one a BD replacement for a Clint Eastwood film, plus one seen today on the big screen:

Bronco Billy (1980) w/ Clint Eastwood, Sandra Locke, and others - short first synopsis below - not the usual Eastwood venue but a film that I've really enjoyed over the years - a nice blu-ray restoration (review HERE); also own the two main stars in 'The Outlaw Josey Wales', another favorite - recommended for Eastwood fans.

Harriet (2019) w/ Cynthia Erivo as Tubman and many other fine actors; bioptic of Harriet Tubman (introductory Wiki article on her in the second quote, for those who may not know this historic woman); reviews: 73% (critics), Rotten Tomatoes but 97% audience; 6.4, IMDB; not enough Amazon comments yet, but I'd probably do a 4* rating there - recommended.  Dave

QuoteAs the leader of a struggling Wild West show, Bronco Billy (Clint Eastwood) gives it his all to keep his entertainers' spirits high despite the declining public interest. While on tour, Billy encounters Antoinette Lily (Sondra Locke), a spoiled, newlywed heiress who was recently deserted by her scheming husband, John Arlington (Geoffrey Lewis). After some convincing, Lily decides to join the troupe as Billy's assistant but, much to the crew's displeasure, she seems to bring only bad luck.

QuoteHarriet Tubman (1822-1913) was an American abolitionist and political activist. Born into slavery, Tubman escaped and subsequently made some 13 missions to rescue approximately 70 enslaved people, including family and friends, using the network of antislavery activists and safe houses known as the Underground Railroad. During the American Civil War, she served as an armed scout and spy for the Union Army. In her later years, Tubman was an activist in the struggle for women's suffrage. (Source)

Karl Henning

Lethal Weapon & Lethal Weapon 2
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

George

Can you guys recommend Alan Arkin's funniest films? I saw Slums of Beverly Hills, Little Miss Sunshine and i want to see more.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

SonicMan46

Quote from: George on November 18, 2019, 03:49:44 PM
Can you guys recommend Alan Arkin's funniest films? I saw Slums of Beverly Hills, Little Miss Sunshine and i want to see more.

Hi George - will just recommend the one below - a must see!  The Criterion BD is superb (review HERE) - Dave

Karl Henning

Quote from: SonicMan46 on November 18, 2019, 03:57:44 PM
Hi George - will just recommend the one below - a must see!  The Criterion BD is superb (review HERE) - Dave

Absolutely!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

George

Thanks guys! Will check that one out.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure