Last Movie You Watched

Started by Drasko, April 06, 2007, 07:51:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jo498, Holden and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.

Fëanor

Academy Best Film 2019 award nominee, Ford v Ferrari.  Director: James Mangold;  Starring: Matt Damon, Christian Bale, Jon Bernthal, et al.

A pretty good flick.  Somewhat about the Ford GT40 race car;  much more about the interplay of sports car builder Carroll Shelby, his friend & driver Ken Miles, (tragically killed testing a GT40 revision), and Ford Motor executives including Henry Ford II, Lee Iacocca, and Leo Beebe.

IMDB = 8.2;  Metacritic = 81 critics & 7.8 viewers;  Rotten Tomatoes = 92, 98 viewers.  I give it 8/10.

SonicMan46

Yep - been trying to see some of the nominated films - two below recently (first streamed in a hotel a few nights ago, and second at home last night):

A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood (2019) w/ Tom Hanks, Matthew Rhys, et al - bioptic of just a short span on the life of Fred Rogers - first synopsis below.  Reviews: 95% Rotten Tomatoes; 7.6/10, IMDB; 4.2*/5*, Amazon w/ some poor ratings - a little corny but Rhys performance is a strong feature; I'd probably still do a 4*/5* rating on Amazon.

The Joker (2019) w/ Joaquin Phoenix, Robert De Niro, et al - second short synopsis below.  Ratings: 8.6/10, IMDB; 69%, Rotten Tomatoes (88%, Audience); 4.3*/5* - not an easy film to watch and some discrepancy between the critics & audience on Rotten Tomatoes - but we both enjoyed the movie and found Phoenix's performance riveting - he's nominated for Best Actor and is likely one of the favorites. I'd also do a 4*/5* rating.  Dave

QuoteLloyd Vogel is an investigative journalist who receives an assignment to profile Fred Rogers, aka Mr. Rogers. He approaches the interview with skepticism, as he finds it hard to believe that anyone can have such a good nature. But Roger's empathy, kindness and decency soon chips away at Vogel's jaded outlook on life, forcing the reporter to reconcile with his own painful past.

QuoteForever alone in a crowd, failed comedian Arthur Fleck seeks connection as he walks the streets of Gotham City. Arthur wears two masks -- the one he paints for his day job as a clown, and the guise he projects in a futile attempt to feel like he's part of the world around him. Isolated, bullied and disregarded by society, Fleck begins a slow descent into madness as he transforms into the criminal mastermind known as the Joker.

Karl Henning

Last night, again: Pan's Labyrinth.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

aligreto

Chef

I really liked this one as it works on many levels.

Karl Henning

Good to see you, Fergus!

TD:
Over the last two nights, My Fair Lady.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

aligreto

Papy Oli

Yesterday : Gorky Park
For some reasons, the bleakness and tension of that movie stayed in my mind when i saw it as a teen in the mid/late eighties. Rewatching it now, that was still as good.

Today: a first watch of Gone Girl. great story build up and gripping...until the last third of the movie that was just absolute pants really....
Olivier

Karl Henning

Lawrence of Arabia, which remains magnificent.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

SimonNZ

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on January 21, 2020, 03:20:16 PM
Lawrence of Arabia, which remains magnificent.

Watched that just the other day for the first time in a long time.

The photography is amazing, especially the sense of scale. But so.e of the acting is less than great. And for some reason Lean let a lot of telescoping of reactions remain in, so people are often becoming outraged or whatever before they hear the words that are meant to outrage them.

Papy Oli

Victoria and Abdul and The Bookshop - both really good and very well acted

[asin]B0771S63ZT[/asin][asin]B07G2WYGN9[/asin]

Olivier

Papy Oli

Also last night : Made in Dagenham - depicting the women strike of 1968 for equal pay in the Dagenham UK Ford factory. Highly recommended.

[asin]B0046RDW6C[/asin]
Olivier

milk

California Split, by Altman, a gritty yet comic portrayal of two gamblers in the 70s. 
Elliott Gould and George Segal make a great duo but Altman is really unrivaled in American cinema. I don't feel we see this kind of commitment to an aesthetic of realism nor this kind of vision.     
Actually, this film is funny and devastating.

Karl Henning

Quote from: SimonNZ on January 21, 2020, 05:41:20 PM
Watched that just the other day for the first time in a long time.

The photography is amazing, especially the sense of scale. But so.e of the acting is less than great. And for some reason Lean let a lot of telescoping of reactions remain in, so people are often becoming outraged or whatever before they hear the words that are meant to outrage them.

Points well taken, but the flaws didn't get in my way at all.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

George

Working my way through the Bluray Bergman box set, chronologically. Got this set for Christmas and I am very happy with it. Last night I saw The Seventh Seal with my girlfriend.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Karl Henning

Quote from: George on January 22, 2020, 06:43:20 AM

Working my way through the Bluray Bergman box set, chronologically. Got this set for Christmas and I am very happy with it. Last night I saw The Seventh Seal with my girlfriend.

Fabulous!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

SonicMan46

Last night, I tried to get Susan to watch a few 'old' films from my DVD/BD collection (both choices were Criterion BDs) - she tolerated the first old screwball comedy (not her thing, sadly! ;)); the second she indeed enjoyed - I hope so!  Dave

His Girl Friday (1940) w/ Cary Grant & Rosalind Russell - one of the classic comedies for the era - a must watch, IMO.

In the Heat of the Night (1967) w/ Sidney Poitier & Rod Steiger - believe that I've own this film from VHS > DVD > BD; the Criterion BD is a 'New 4K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray' (LINK) - Ray Charles singing of the 'theme' song never sounded better!; plus, plenty of extras, many newly recorded - another strong recommendation!  Dave

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

André

Madiel

Quote from: George on January 22, 2020, 06:43:20 AM

Wow. That's a whole lot of search for the meaning of life to pack into a box (from what admittedly little I know of Bergman's films).
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!