Last Movie You Watched

Started by Drasko, April 06, 2007, 07:51:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florestan

A Lucky Man (after Henrik Pontoppidan's novel)

Having read the book I can say this is one of the best ecranisations I've ever seen. Great performance from all the main characters. I enjoyed it immensely, if enjoyment is the right word for such a dark and tragic story.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

aligreto

Beast

A really well made drama with a different slant on the serial killer genre. This focuses on the personality behind the killer and not on the victims. Really worthwhile.

Karl Henning

Last night, for the nth time: Alien;  the horror plot points aside, a beautiful film to watch, stylishly designed and shot, and Ridley Scott's elegant pacing is exemplary.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

j winter

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on April 03, 2020, 05:45:47 AM
Last night, for the nth time: Alien;  the horror plot points aside, a beautiful film to watch, stylishly designed and shot, and Ridley Scott's elegant pacing is exemplary.

Agreed... that one still gets me, my dad let me watch it when I was about 12, and I haven't been right since...  :P
The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

Karl Henning

Quote from: j winter on April 03, 2020, 07:04:41 AM
Agreed... that one still gets me, my dad let me watch it when I was about 12, and I haven't been right since...  :P

I still remember nearly jumping out of my skin in the cinema that fateful night.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

greg

The VVitch
In summary same feelings as the movie Candyman- entertaining but didn't really make much sense.
Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

ritter

Just finished watching Claude Berri's Jean de Florette (based on Marcel Pagnol):

I first watched this in the cinema when it was released in 1986. This story of pettiness in a bucolic provençal setting is quite engaging, nicely acted (Gérard Depardieu, Yves Montand and Daniel Auteuil) and directed. Will watch the second part (and denouement of the story), Manon des sources, this weekend.

aligreto

Quote from: ritter on April 03, 2020, 08:18:08 AM
Just finished watching Claude Berri's Jean de Florette (based on Marcel Pagnol):

I first watched this in the cinema when it was released in 1986. This story of pettiness in a bucolic provençal setting is quite engaging, nicely acted (Gérard Depardieu, Yves Montand and Daniel Auteuil) and directed. Will watch the second part (and denouement of the story), Manon des sources, this weekend.

Two wonderful films.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on April 03, 2020, 05:45:47 AM
A classic!  :)  Edge of the seat tension....
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Needed some levity, so watched Eddie Izzard's "Unrepeatable".  It's a live concert from 1994 filmed at the Albery Theatre.  Good to laugh for a while.   :)  His whacky, but intelligent, sense of humor hit the spot.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Karl Henning

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on April 04, 2020, 03:17:17 PM
Needed some levity, so watched Eddie Izzard's "Unrepeatable".  It's a live concert from 1994 filmed at the Albery Theatre.  Good to laugh for a while.   :)  His whacky, but intelligent, sense of humor hit the spot.

PD

Nice!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on April 04, 2020, 03:13:41 PM
A classic!  :)  Edge of the seat tension....

You are my lucky star....
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

aligreto

Blue Jay

This is a wonderful film. There are basically only two actors and the plot revolves around them meeting up after some time and reliving their past, together with all of the issues and baggage involved. It is a charming film and definitely worth a look.

SonicMan46

Showboat (1936) w/ Irene Dunne, Allan Jones, Paul Robeson, Helen Morgan, Charles Winninger, et al - Criterion's just released restoration of the Edna Ferber classic novel w/ words/music by Oscar Hammerstein II & Jerome Kern - both the new visuals and audio are superb for an 84 y/o film - as usual, Criterion offers an excellent booklet (written by Gary Giddins) and numerous special features (listed below first quote) - after watching the film, we viewed the Paul Robeson tribute narrated by Sidney Poitier and the 'Recognizing Race in Show Boat', a recent half hour look at the racial issues and stereotypes of the times, told by Professor Shana Redmond, UCLA.

Wife and I being BIG Broadway musical fans of course loved the 'new' presentation - for those into this genre, the Criterion BD gets my highest recommendation - Showboat was a seminal musical on the New York stage (see second quote - start of a Wiki article) in 1927, and sits next to Oklahoma (1943) (both w/ lyricist Hammerstein) as early precedents in the musical's development - NOW, one of dear friends who grew up in NYC and hates musicals would likely say 'meh' - :laugh:  Dave

QuoteSPECIAL FEATURES
* New, restored 4K digital transfer, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
* Audio commentary from 1989 featuring American-musical historian Miles Kreuger
* New interview with James Whale biographer James Curtis
*Recognizing Race in "Show Boat," a new interview program featuring professor and author Shana L. Redmond
*Paul Robeson: Tribute to an Artist (1979), an Academy Award–winning short documentary by Saul J. Turell, newly restored
*Four performances from the sound prologue of the 1929 film version of Show Boat, including songs from original Broadway cast members Helen        Morgan, Jules Bledsoe, and Tess Gardella, plus twenty minutes of silent excerpts from the film, with audio commentary by Kreuger
*Two radio adaptations of Show Boat, featuring stage and screen cast members Morgan, Allan Jones, and Charles Winninger; producer Orson Welles; and novelist Edna Ferber 
PLUS: An essay by critic Gary Giddins

QuoteThe musical was first produced in 1927 by Florenz Ziegfeld. The premiere of Show Boat on Broadway was an important event in the history of American musical theatre. It "was a radical departure in musical storytelling, marrying spectacle with seriousness", compared with the trivial and unrealistic operettas, light musical comedies and "Follies"-type musical revues that defined Broadway in the 1890s and early 20th century. (Source)

GioCar

This afternoon on Netflix

Wow! Who the hell are those brothers Safdie? Never heard of them, but their movie is amazing, as weel as Adam Sandler.
Among the best films I've seen lately.

George

Quote from: GioCar on April 05, 2020, 09:11:26 AM
This afternoon on Netflix

Wow! Who the hell are those brothers Safdie? Never heard of them, but their movie is amazing, as weel as Adam Sandler.
Among the best films I've seen lately.

For sure, a helluva film. I checked out the film they did prior to this one, but didn't like it nearly as much. YMMV.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

greg

Hush

It was alright, was kinda expecting more shenanigans than what there were. Definitely the quietest movie I've ever seen.
Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

Pohjolas Daughter

Came in partway on this movie:    It was filmed in black and white and is from 1964 starring some of the greats:  Henry Fonda, Walter Matthau, and more.  Gripping!  Will have to catch it from the beginning when I have a chance.  It has to do with what can happen when military communications go awry.  Still think that it is relevant these days (though we do have more safeguards in place these days).  Makes you think.

Is anyone else here familiar with this film?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Karl Henning

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on April 05, 2020, 12:02:10 PM
Came in partway on this movie:    It was filmed in black and white and is from 1964 starring some of the greats:  Henry Fonda, Walter Matthau, and more.  Gripping!  Will have to catch it from the beginning when I have a chance.  It has to do with what can happen when military communications go awry.  Still think that it is relevant these days (though we do have more safeguards in place these days).  Makes you think.

Is anyone else here familiar with this film?

PD

Never heard of it, but it sounds interesting!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Last night, I watched Alien Resurrection, which is my least favorite of the franchise, for (to start with) the following reasons:

A. Supreme Script Stupidity # 1 they check the crew of the Betty for weapons, supposedly they will not allow weapons, but they let them board the Auriga with their weapons.

B. The underwater swim through the kitchen was impossible, Vriess in particular drowned;  and they should have known it was impossible from the challenges to the cast in filming the sequence

C.  Related to that, firing those weapons underwater had to have been one super-dumb idea

D.  Supreme Script Stupidity # 2  As Call is a machine, I just don't believe that the gunshot to her chest rendered her "unconscious"

E. No, I don't believe the "false start by the alien" hosted inside Purvis, when the latter shrugs it off and says, "I'm okay."

F.  The ridiculously miraculous pool-shot carom gunplay by whichever member of the Betty crew that is

G. Supreme Script Stupidity # 3 The Baby getting sucked/blown out into space through a pinhole in a window

Is there anything I like about the movie?

Although it's bad Junk Science, I do rather like Ripley 8 as a character (I'll suspend my disbelief in that case.

Related to that, although the 1-7 holding lab is another of those "looking is difficult" experiences, I really like Weaver's performance there (as 8, I mean)

The Ripley 8/Call relationship is one of the highlilghts of the script.

Also, Ripley's explanation to Purvis. "Any questions?"
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA