Last Movie You Watched

Started by Drasko, April 06, 2007, 07:51:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on April 06, 2020, 12:49:15 PM
Never heard of it, but it sounds interesting!
You might find it on Turner Classics or one of the On Demand or something like it services.
Pohjolas Daughter

SonicMan46

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on April 06, 2020, 12:49:15 PM
Never heard of it, but it sounds interesting!

Well, back when I was in HS (early '60s - yep, I'm OLD!), the 'Cold War' was in all of our minds and nuclear annihilation considered a possibility - consequently, novelists and Hollywood jumped on the 'bandwagon' to make some $$ writing about and filming these 'armageddon' type scenarios - below, just a few that come to mind from that era - I'm sure others can add more!  :laugh:  Dave

P.S. I saw 'Fail Safe' years ago (and may have read the book - can't remember?)

SimonNZ

There was an interesting lesser-known one with Powers Boothe and Rebecca DeMornay as bomber pilots I'd quite like to see again.

I know I saw Fail Safe a couple of decades ago but I can barely remember it now.

edit:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/By_Dawn%27s_Early_Light

Kaga2

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on April 05, 2020, 12:02:10 PM
Came in partway on this movie:    It was filmed in black and white and is from 1964 starring some of the greats:  Henry Fonda, Walter Matthau, and more.  Gripping!  Will have to catch it from the beginning when I have a chance.  It has to do with what can happen when military communications go awry.  Still think that it is relevant these days (though we do have more safeguards in place these days).  Makes you think.

Is anyone else here familiar with this film?

PD

Yes, a famous movie. It was quasi remade a few years ago, but stick to the original. Fonda is great. Well worth a watch.

aligreto

No Escape

The story of an American worker and his family caught up in a coup in Asia. Watchable.

Karl Henning

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on April 06, 2020, 01:23:56 PM
Last night, I watched Alien Resurrection, which is my least favorite of the franchise, for (to start with) the following reasons:

A. Supreme Script Stupidity # 1 they check the crew of the Betty for weapons, supposedly they will not allow weapons, but they let them board the Auriga with their weapons.

B. The underwater swim through the kitchen was impossible, Vriess in particular drowned;  and they should have known it was impossible from the challenges to the cast in filming the sequence

C.  Related to that, firing those weapons underwater had to have been one super-dumb idea

D.  Supreme Script Stupidity # 2  As Call is a machine, I just don't believe that the gunshot to her chest rendered her "unconscious"

E. No, I don't believe the "false start by the alien" hosted inside Purvis, when the latter shrugs it off and says, "I'm okay."

F.  The ridiculously miraculous pool-shot carom gunplay by whichever member of the Betty crew that is

G. Supreme Script Stupidity # 3 The Baby getting sucked/blown out into space through a pinhole in a window

Is there anything I like about the movie?

Although it's bad Junk Science, I do rather like Ripley 8 as a character (I'll suspend my disbelief in that case.

Related to that, although the 1-7 holding lab is another of those "looking is difficult" experiences, I really like Weaver's performance there (as 8, I mean)

The Ripley 8/Call relationship is one of the highlilghts of the script.

Also, Ripley's explanation to Purvis. "Any questions?"

Quoth Columbo, "Just one more thing."

Call being a drpid, I do not believe she needed trial-&-error when spritzing breath samples in here attempt to gain access to Ripley 8
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

aligreto

Love Happens

A romantic tale with a bit of a difference. As these things go it is worth your time.

Florestan

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant_(2017_film)

A moving film. Particularly interesting for me because gave me the opportunity of hearing the Basque language.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

greg

The Platform

Definitely a unique, interesting movie. The ending is a bit open to interpretation...
Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

Karl Henning

Quote from: drogulus on April 08, 2020, 10:34:51 AM
     Coronavirus State-By-State Projections: When Will Each State Peak?

The model makes some key assumptions about how state leaders will act — and depending on what they do, the picture could change. First, it assumes that all states will continue social distancing through the end of May, which is longer than the White House has asked Americans to practice social distancing. Second, it assumes states that have not already implemented three key social distancing measures — closing schools, closing nonessential businesses and issuing stay-at-home orders — will do so in one week.

This second assumption is particularly important for a state like Massachusetts, which has closed nonessential businesses and schools, but has not ordered residents to stay at home. Republican Gov. Charlie Baker has resisted calls to mandate a stay-at-home order, though he has enacted a voluntary stay-at-home advisory. "I do not believe I can or should order U.S. citizens to keep confined to their homes for days on end," Baker said last month.

Wrong thread, Ernie.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

drogulus

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

greg

Minority Report

This was a good one.

Actually was curious about this one since the anime Psycho Pass (which is highly regarded) pretty much took this movie's concept of Pre-Crime and made its entire show about that.
Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

SimonNZ

As entertainment I suppose this was a fun romp. But as history it was a jaw-dropping whitewash.

aligreto

From Paris With Love

A good thriller with a good twist. Travolta was very good in it.

Karl Henning

Last night: Reign Over Me.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Omicron9

OK, I'm going to come right out and say it:

Sharknado.

So bad it's really entertaining.  There is a series (maybe 5?); I've only seen a couple.  I know they weren't intended to be comedies, but man....

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2724064/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

Regards,
"Signature-line free since 2017!"

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

SimonNZ

Second viewing. And admired it even more this time than I did the first.

Christo

Was lucky to see a handful of extremely fine new movies over the last few months + some Tarkovsky again (the one and only). This one comes close however, wow. The final scene - I couldn't watch without wet eyes - a subtle and hardly concealed homage to Tarkovsky's masterpiecer The Mirror.

Paweł Pawlikowski, Zimna wojna (2019) aka 'Cold War':

... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948