Last Movie You Watched

Started by Drasko, April 06, 2007, 07:51:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irons

The adaptation of Ian McEwan's novel On Chesil Beach is a moving and absorbing film. Music, both rock and classical feature strongly - the female lead is a member of a string quartet. Brilliantly conceived and only slightly let down by the closing scene, I have not enjoyed a film so much for ages.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Madiel

Top End Wedding

Good, uncomplicated fun with a dash of authentic Aboriginal culture. Miranda Tapsell is one of those people who just lights up the screen with her energy, which was the main driver for wanting to see this in the first place.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Todd

Since it was streamable, I watched the way too long Knives Out to pass time.  The ensemble cast hams it up in a boring whodunnit with a couple twists and turns.  (Can a whodunnit not have twists and turns?)  Christopher Plummer is delightful in his role, but the reason I watched the whole thing is simple: the ridiculously adorable Ana de Armas.  She lights up the screen. 

Rian Johnson, who showed so much promise with Looper, and the episodes of Breaking Bad he directed, has kind of turned into a dud of a director. 
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Todd on June 28, 2020, 06:48:15 AM

Rian Johnson, who showed so much promise with Looper, and the episodes of Breaking Bad he directed, has kind of turned into a dud of a director.

Interesting take, considering Johnson's two films after Looper were both hugely successful both critically and at the box office.

Carlo Gesualdo

What the worst films you seen, a stupid and a masterpiece well rate but so boring you were like jesus what F word, why is this so well rated...

Ockay worst stupid not well rated I seen was Hulk Hogan  baby sister, I explain why I listen to it, I had terrible headache after drinking a lot ccould not sleep, record breaker hang over, yep it was that bad...and I was too weak to change the channel agonizing on sofa, so I was like darn this is awful but it was rated 6, this mean it not average but bellow average not 7, 7 is like total crap.

But the worst film I seen well rated in a coma state once again was Un dimanche a la campagne a French film it was so boring, I was like what f(word nothing happen in this movie it's so lame and long but I watch it all falling asleep in the process eventually, frustrating wasting my valuable time and it was rated 3 very good thus said I don't and won't get it.

My favorite movie are  from Steve Bescumi, super actor he done Tree Lounge love this film and Ghost world which I find hilarious since I felt the personage of Bescumi was a satyric portrait of me insane old vinyl 18''LP and his nerdy friends.

SimonNZ

Personally I'd put Looper and The Last Jedi on roughly the same level, which is to say enjoyable and well-crafted examples of their genre. I'm surprised you rate Looper any higher than that as its got some very silly and unconvincing elements.

bhodges

Further discussion of movies, please.

--Bruce

SimonNZ

Watchable enough, though I continue to not understand the enduring fascination with a) Bobby Fischer and b) the Fischer-Spassky match.

Madiel

Ash Is Purest White

Lots of positive reviews/acclaim for this one, which is kind of about gangsters, more about being there for a man who fails to be there for you in return. But in the earliest stages I couldn't really see what deserved the acclaim. It did improve a lot, though, not least because the main character improved (the story takes place over a period of about 17 years, and in the very first bits I just didn't find her nearly as convincing as later on).

Every now and then, there was still some odd feature that pulled me out of the story again for a little while. There's one segment that seemed very out of place, even if I've now read the director's take on it. So while I did quite like the majority of it, I'm not sure what I'm taking away... apart from considering whether to have ballroom dancers at my funeral.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Madiel on June 29, 2020, 05:40:58 AM
Ash Is Purest White

Lots of positive reviews/acclaim for this one, which is kind of about gangsters, more about being there for a man who fails to be there for you in return. But in the earliest stages I couldn't really see what deserved the acclaim. It did improve a lot, though, not least because the main character improved (the story takes place over a period of about 17 years, and in the very first bits I just didn't find her nearly as convincing as later on).

Every now and then, there was still some odd feature that pulled me out of the story again for a little while. There's one segment that seemed very out of place, even if I've now read the director's take on it. So while I did quite like the majority of it, I'm not sure what I'm taking away... apart from considering whether to have ballroom dancers at my funeral.

I enjoyed this film quite a bit, although I'm not yearning for a second viewing. I know exactly which segment you're referring to, which did seem out of place but definitely grabbed my attention. I would be interested to read those director comments.

George

Second time with this one. Enjoyed it even more than the first time.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

steve ridgway

War Pigs. Enjoyable WWII action film about another bunch of misfits winning the war. The army needs more misfits :P.

Madiel

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on June 29, 2020, 07:00:00 AM
I enjoyed this film quite a bit, although I'm not yearning for a second viewing. I know exactly which segment you're referring to, which did seem out of place but definitely grabbed my attention. I would be interested to read those director comments.

It was a little chunk (near the start) of this: https://www.straight.com/movies/1216666/chinese-director-jia-zhangke-discusses-ufos-loneliness-and-john-woos-killer

SimonNZ

Quote from: George on June 29, 2020, 07:09:01 AM

Second time with this one. Enjoyed it even more than the first time.

Have you seen the tv series?

George

SimonNZ

Its not essential, but worth a watch. Bradley Cooper makes some cameos along the way, including setting up the opening.

The lead character in this is goofier and responds differently to the drug, which I especially like as one criticism I had of the film was the notion that with more smarts people would naturally become uber-wealthy hedonist sociopaths.

Also welcome to see Jennifer Carpenter, as the lead's police handler, getting more work after finishing as Dexter's cop sister.

George

Quote from: SimonNZ on June 29, 2020, 04:03:06 PM
Its not essential, but worth a watch. Bradley Cooper makes some cameos along the way, including setting up the opening.

The lead character in this is goofier and responds differently to the drug, which I especially like as one criticism I had of the film was the notion that with more smarts people would naturally become uber-wealthy hedonist sociopaths.

Also welcome to see Jennifer Carpenter, as the lead's police handler, getting more work after finishing as Dexter's cop sister.

Sounds like it's worth a watch. Thanks!

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Madiel on June 29, 2020, 02:02:57 PM
It was a little chunk (near the start) of this: https://www.straight.com/movies/1216666/chinese-director-jia-zhangke-discusses-ufos-loneliness-and-john-woos-killer

Thanks for the link, I'm not sure I got the sadness from that scene initially, but the filmmaker's description is making it very intriguing for a second viewing now. And I just saw earlier that it's streaming on Amazon Prime.

Madiel

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on June 29, 2020, 05:24:30 PM
Thanks for the link, I'm not sure I got the sadness from that scene initially, but the filmmaker's description is making it very intriguing for a second viewing now. And I just saw earlier that it's streaming on Amazon Prime.

No problem.

For me it wasn't just the key shot, but the whole train journey leading up to it was a bit odd. I guess the point is she has no ties and could go anywhere.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Madiel on June 29, 2020, 06:47:46 PM
No problem.

For me it wasn't just the key shot, but the whole train journey leading up to it was a bit odd. I guess the point is she has no ties and could go anywhere.

Another recent Chinese film I saw last year, around the same time I watched Ash, was Long Day's Journey into Night from filmmaker Bi Gan. I recommend it, it's mesmerizing.