Author Topic: Last Movie You Watched  (Read 2585754 times)

Offline George

• Veteran member
  • Hey Bert!
Re: Last Movie You Watched
« Reply #30240 on: June 29, 2020, 06:09:01 AM »

Second time with this one. Enjoyed it even more than the first time.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Offline steve ridgway

• Veteran member
  • Currently Listening to:
    A Steinway and a xylophone falling in slow motion down endless flights of stairs
« Reply #30241 on: June 29, 2020, 06:12:40 AM »
War Pigs. Enjoyable WWII action film about another bunch of misfits winning the war. The army needs more misfits :P.

"There is nothing new except what has been forgotten." - Marie Antoinette

Offline Madiel

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
    Whatever's listed in my blog.
« Reply #30242 on: June 29, 2020, 01:02:57 PM »
I enjoyed this film quite a bit, although I'm not yearning for a second viewing. I know exactly which segment you're referring to, which did seem out of place but definitely grabbed my attention. I would be interested to read those director comments.

It was a little chunk (near the start) of this: https://www.straight.com/movies/1216666/chinese-director-jia-zhangke-discusses-ufos-loneliness-and-john-woos-killer
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Online SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #30243 on: June 29, 2020, 01:29:13 PM »

Second time with this one. Enjoyed it even more than the first time.

Have you seen the tv series?

Offline George

• Veteran member
  • Hey Bert!
« Reply #30244 on: June 29, 2020, 01:44:48 PM »
Have you seen the tv series?

I haven't. Is it good?

Online SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #30245 on: June 29, 2020, 03:03:06 PM »
Its not essential, but worth a watch. Bradley Cooper makes some cameos along the way, including setting up the opening.

The lead character in this is goofier and responds differently to the drug, which I especially like as one criticism I had of the film was the notion that with more smarts people would naturally become uber-wealthy hedonist sociopaths.

Also welcome to see Jennifer Carpenter, as the lead's police handler, getting more work after finishing as Dexter's cop sister.

Offline George

• Veteran member
  • Hey Bert!
« Reply #30246 on: June 29, 2020, 03:47:37 PM »
Its not essential, but worth a watch. Bradley Cooper makes some cameos along the way, including setting up the opening.

The lead character in this is goofier and responds differently to the drug, which I especially like as one criticism I had of the film was the notion that with more smarts people would naturally become uber-wealthy hedonist sociopaths.

Also welcome to see Jennifer Carpenter, as the lead's police handler, getting more work after finishing as Dexter's cop sister.

Sounds like it's worth a watch. Thanks!

Offline TheGSMoeller

• Veteran member
  • Monkey Greg
« Reply #30247 on: June 29, 2020, 04:24:30 PM »
It was a little chunk (near the start) of this: https://www.straight.com/movies/1216666/chinese-director-jia-zhangke-discusses-ufos-loneliness-and-john-woos-killer

Thanks for the link, I'm not sure I got the sadness from that scene initially, but the filmmaker's description is making it very intriguing for a second viewing now. And I just saw earlier that it's streaming on Amazon Prime.

Offline Madiel

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
« Reply #30248 on: June 29, 2020, 05:47:46 PM »
Thanks for the link, I'm not sure I got the sadness from that scene initially, but the filmmaker's description is making it very intriguing for a second viewing now. And I just saw earlier that it's streaming on Amazon Prime.

No problem.

For me it wasn’t just the key shot, but the whole train journey leading up to it was a bit odd. I guess the point is she has no ties and could go anywhere.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Offline TheGSMoeller

• Veteran member
  • Monkey Greg
« Reply #30249 on: June 29, 2020, 06:17:36 PM »
No problem.

For me it wasn’t just the key shot, but the whole train journey leading up to it was a bit odd. I guess the point is she has no ties and could go anywhere.

Another recent Chinese film I saw last year, around the same time I watched Ash, was Long Day's Journey into Night from filmmaker Bi Gan. I recommend it, it's mesmerizing.

Offline Madiel

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
« Reply #30250 on: June 29, 2020, 07:29:06 PM »
Another recent Chinese film I saw last year, around the same time I watched Ash, was Long Day's Journey into Night from filmmaker Bi Gan. I recommend it, it's mesmerizing.

Hmm. I’m not finding any information about availability of that one here right now.

To be honest every time I see a Chinese film I fight the urge to hunt down Raise the Red Lantern and watch it again. It’s a long time since I saw it but I absolutely loved it.

Offline SurprisedByBeauty

• Veteran member
  • Back. Hello!
    • Surprised by Beauty
    anything from Monteverdi to Widmann and well beyond in either direction and everything in the middle!
« Reply #30251 on: June 29, 2020, 10:00:40 PM »
The Million Pound Note

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/gyePJXDB-uQ" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/gyePJXDB-uQ</a>

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #30252 on: July 01, 2020, 12:49:54 AM »
Disturbia This is a film that is something of a Hitchcockian parody and, as such, it is both successful and watchable.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and leave no doubt.

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #30253 on: July 01, 2020, 12:52:07 AM »
The Million Pound Note

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/gyePJXDB-uQ" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/gyePJXDB-uQ</a>

I have seen that film and it is an interesting study on how the promise of money, even if it is not practically realisable, affects people and their attitudes. It is enjoyable.
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and leave no doubt.

• Veteran member
  • Back. Hello!
    • Surprised by Beauty
    anything from Monteverdi to Widmann and well beyond in either direction and everything in the middle!
« Reply #30254 on: July 01, 2020, 03:24:32 AM »

I have seen that film and it is an interesting study on how the promise of money, even if it is not practically realisable, affects people and their attitudes. It is enjoyable.

Quite enjoyable, if predictably over the top and straight forward. And of course Eddie Murphy would go on to copy parts of it in "Trading Places".

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #30255 on: July 01, 2020, 04:10:56 AM »
Quite enjoyable, if predictably over the top and straight forward. And of course Eddie Murphy would go on to copy parts of it in "Trading Places".

Music by William Alwyn !

Offline Sergeant Rock

• Veteran member
« Reply #30256 on: July 01, 2020, 05:05:58 AM »
Yellowbeard.

"Dying's the easy way out. You won't catch me dying. They'll have to kill me before I die!"   ;D :D ;D

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

• Veteran member
  • Back. Hello!
    • Surprised by Beauty
« Reply #30257 on: July 01, 2020, 06:28:22 AM »
Music by William Alwyn !

Oh, how neat. Didn't take time to notice/read. But that enriches the experience in retrospect! Thanks.

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #30258 on: July 01, 2020, 07:25:46 PM »
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society (2018) w/ Lily James, Michiel Huisman, Glen Powell, Jessica Brown Findlay, Katherine Parkinson, Matthew Goode, Tom Courtenay and Penelope Wilton.  A historical romantic drama - more HERE - Guernsey, one of the Channel Islands off the Normandy coast (see map), was occupied by the Germans in WW II - story of the occupation and post-war recovery; 81% on Rotten Tomatoes - we enjoyed - recommended.  Dave :)

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #30259 on: July 02, 2020, 12:38:50 AM »
Blackhat

A cyber crime thriller with an edge. Worth a watch.