Last Movie You Watched

Started by Drasko, April 06, 2007, 07:51:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drogulus

Hitchcockian videophiles should know about this box set.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Madiel

Went to the cinema for the first time in a long time, and saw The Translators.

Quite fun, consciously styled after Agatha Christie (though it's not about murder but about who is leaking pages from an upcoming bestseller). Totally outlandish plot elements but entertaining and well acted.

Slightly exasperated, though, that a film about translation actually had a mistake in the subtitles throughout. The author of the bestseller, who people talk about a lot because most people have never seen him, is quite clearly named Brach, and yet the English subtitles call him Bach over and over.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

aligreto

Breaking The Bank

Some lighthearted English humour and entertainment.

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Over the past two nights, The Terminator & Terminator 2: Judgment Day
It had been a while.  I had forgotten just how good the first is;  heck, I even like the grain on my DVD copy . . . takes me back to Akron, where, with my College of Wooster buddies, I saw it for the second time.  The second is outstanding, and is probably in the running for Strongest Sequel Ever.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

SonicMan46

Well, talked Susan into watching two of my favorite 'swashbucklers' - she got tired of the sword fighting!  :o  BUT, I enjoyed again after many viewings:

Scaramouche (1952) w/ Stewart Granger, Eleanor Parker (BOY, that red hair!), Janet Leigh (another beauty), & Mel Ferrer - French revolution, mistaken identities, sword duels, glorious technicolor, and beautiful ladies - what more could a man asked for?  :laugh:

Scarlet Pimpernel (1982) w/ Anthony Andrews, Jane Seymour, and Ian McKellen - yet another beautiful actress and excellent performances by the male co-stars; again, the French revolution and plenty of intrigue and daring escapes - Andrews especially good in makeup roles - of course, a remake of the 1934 B&W film w/ Leslie Howard, Merle Oberon, and Raymond Massey, which I own as a DVD-R from the TCM channel - in all honesty, if the story appeals, I would recommend the newer film in color and with quite appealing actors.  Dave

vers la flamme

Quote from: milk on September 08, 2020, 06:35:46 AM
A Brighter Summer Day

Definitely one of the best movies ever made.

Never heard of it. Looks amazing, so I'll have to talk my girlfriend into watching it with me.

SonicMan46

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on September 29, 2020, 11:24:53 AM
Over the past two nights, The Terminator & Terminator 2: Judgment Day
It had been a while.  I had forgotten just how good the first is;  heck, I even like the grain on my DVD copy . . . takes me back to Akron, where, with my College of Wooster buddies, I saw it for the second time.  The second is outstanding, and is probably in the running for Strongest Sequel Ever.

Karl - own both of those films on BD - going through my database collection w/ Susan and we're on 'S', so 'T' coming up - could I possibly talk her into watching these two great films?  She's been more receptive in this 'COVID Isolation' - will give it a try in the next week?   :laugh:  Dave

Karl Henning

Quote from: SonicMan46 on September 29, 2020, 03:05:29 PM
Karl - own both of those films on BD - going through my database collection w/ Susan and we're on 'S', so 'T' coming up - could I possibly talk her into watching these two great films?  She's been more receptive in this 'COVID Isolation' - will give it a try in the next week?   :laugh:  Dave

Cheers, Dave.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Karl Henning

Last night's thumb's-up/thumb's-down exercise: Blade Trinity.

Conclusion: Thumb's-up

Discussion: I had fetched in the three-disc set on the basis of interest in the Guillermo del Toro movie (II) and curiosity to see the first movie (of which I had seen a brief excerpt on the Break Room TV at the MFA) in its entirety. I don't think either movie Great, but I enjoy them well enough (albeit the sort of fare I need to be just in the humor for viewing) I was morally prepared for disappointment in Trinity.  But I found that I pretty much liked both Jessica Biel (I thought her being an archer was a nice add, and—be fair—"Whistler's daughter" is a cute inversion of "Whistler's Mother" and. even though he was often a passive prisoner, Ryan Reynolds whom (though I hadn't known his name) I had seen in the remake of The In-Laws.  I liked his banter with Blade, as well as Blade's unablated dislike of Hannibal.  I would probably have been disappointed (read: "would have rolled my eyes) if they had suddenly (i.e., at the film's outset) been bosom buddies.  The story has its flaws, but I bake that into the model.  Someday, I'll watch it again, but there's no rush.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

aligreto

Nieve Negra

Set in the mountains in Patagonia, this is the tale of a broken family with a secret. Following the death of the father the siblings must meet up after many years and confront the issues which they have never spoken about. Through a series of flashbacks the plot, and indeed the secret, gradually unfolds. It is quite a dark film and I found it to be compelling viewing.

milk

An astoundingly great film. Remarkable in so many ways and unique. This just mesmerized me from beginning to end.

Madiel

^^I still haven't seen that despite hearing good things about it a number of times.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

SonicMan46

Over the previous week, 3 new blu-ray additions to my collection; the first two DVD replacements, the last a favorite from the past which I had on a poor DVD-R:

Love Me Tonight (1932) pre-code musical comedy w/ Maurice Chevalier, Jeanette MacDonald, and many others - short synopsis below; music by Rodgers and Hart - one of the best musicals from the '30s w/ many memorable songs (much more in the link) - if a fan of early Hollywood musicals and 'screwball comedies', then a MUST see; plus, the video and audio (latter more important to me) restoration is excellent!

Roman Holiday (1953) w/ Audrey Hepburn, Gregory Peck, and Eddie Albert - summary below - Hepburn in her first role is just beautiful, charming, and adorable winning an Oscar for Best Actress - filmed in Rome - highly recommended.

The World in His Arms (1952) w/ Gregory Peck, Ann Blyth, Anthony Quinn, et al. Brief recap below - seafaring yarn from the 1850s when the Russians 'owned' Alaska - fascinating historic times.  Just by coincidence, I purchased two Gregory Peck films involving princesses - in one he gets her in the end, but not in the other.  Dave :)

QuoteLove Me Tonight is a 1932 American pre-Code musical comedy film produced and directed by Rouben Mamoulian, with music by Rodgers and Hart. It stars Maurice Chevalier as a tailor who poses as a nobleman and Jeanette MacDonald as a princess with whom he falls in love. It also stars Charles Ruggles as a penniless nobleman, along with Charles Butterworth and Myrna Loy as members of his family. (Source)

QuoteRoman Holiday is a 1953 American romantic comedy film directed by William Wyler. Audrey Hepburn is a princess out to see Rome on her own and Gregory Peck as a reporter. Hepburn won an Academy Award for Best Actress for her performance; the screenplay and costume design also won. The script was written by John Dighton and Dalton Trumbo, though with Trumbo on the Hollywood blacklist, he did not receive a credit; Trumbo's credit was reinstated when the film was released on DVD in 2003 (Source)

QuoteIn San Francisco in 1850, a Russian Countess runs away from an arranged marriage to a Russian Prince and falls into the arms of an American sea captain who occasionally poaches seals in Russian Alaska. (Source)

SimonNZ

The Black Panthers: Vanguard of the Revolution

Like the Freedom Riders documentary I rewatched a couple of weeks ago this is made by Stanley Nelson Jr and just as expertly done. There's another he made between these two called Freedom Summer, which unfortunately doesn't seem to be available locally.

aligreto

Winter's Bone:

This is a hard hitting story about a seventeen year old girl's attempt to save her two young siblings, her chronically depressed mother and their home when the law comes looking for her wayward father who has long left. It is a wonderful story and Lawrence, and indeed the rest of the cast, all give fine performances. Not an entertainment film but one that is very engaging and absorbing.

milk

Quote from: Madiel on October 03, 2020, 06:31:15 AM
^^I still haven't seen that despite hearing good things about it a number of times.
re: City of God. Having digested it a bit, my appreciation has gone down a little. But it's a great watch. I won't spoil it but there are some weak points of this movie.

LKB

Just finished The Mr. Jackson's The Lord of the Rings trilogy for probably the thirtieth time.

I'm keenly interested in the upcoming 4k version, it may well be the deciding factor in whether l decide to finally invest in new equipment.

Hoping,

LKB
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...