Last Movie You Watched

Started by Drasko, April 06, 2007, 07:51:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madiel

Quote from: T. D. on October 16, 2020, 08:31:44 PM
Missed it when released even though I like Jeff Bridges and the Coens; maybe I doubted the Bros. could direct comedy.

Whaaat? Had Raising Arizona passed you by?

Also The Hudsucker Proxy, though that had passed a lot of people by. I love that one.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Daverz

Quote from: Madiel on October 17, 2020, 03:53:00 PM
Whaaat? Had Raising Arizona passed you by?

Also The Hudsucker Proxy, though that had passed a lot of people by. I love that one.

Loved those films, but not a big fan of some of their other "comedies", e.g. Burn After Reading and the ill-considered remake of The Ladykillers.  (Not all remakes are bad; their "remake" of True Grit was brilliant, since they followed the book closely.)

Madiel

Quote from: Daverz on October 17, 2020, 05:02:44 PM
Loved those films, but not a big fan of some of their other "comedies", e.g. Burn After Reading and the ill-considered remake of The Ladykillers.  (Not all remakes are bad; their "remake" of True Grit was brilliant, since they followed the book closely.)

I've seen Burn After Reading but not the other ones you mentioned. I did still quite like it, but not as much as many of their other films.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Karl Henning

Indiscreet by Stanley Donen.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Escape From New York & Jacob's Ladder
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

drogulus

Quote from: 71 dB on October 16, 2020, 03:39:22 AM
I watched Peeping Tom (Michael Powell, 1960) on TV. I found it quite good, but the plot was maybe too simple and predictable. It's amazing how good these old obscure movies look in HD. Very sharp picture. Amazing vibrant colors. I really liked how this movie looked visually and in these older movies the camerawork is good and there is not too fast cutting which I hate with modern movies. I also think modern movies have often really bad color pallettes. I prefer the vivid colors of older movies (early color movies). 

I just watched an old Hammer film that had beautiful color, though not quite Powell level. I'm heartily sick of all the blue tinted movies made today.

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 15, 2020, 05:48:30 PM
Moon

That's a good one.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

71 dB

Quote from: drogulus on October 18, 2020, 07:01:21 PM
I'm heartily sick of all the blue tinted movies made today.

Yeah. If it was one or two movies here and there. but it's almost everywhere. The "Orange and Teal" colors just work, but it makes movies boring color-wise. Comedy and drama movies use more natural colors.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

71 dB

Parasite (Bong Joon Ho, 2019)

This was the last movie I watched in the movie theatre just before the Covid-19 thing escalated in my country late March. Now I watched it again on Blu-ray (Nordic release with Danish, Finnish, Norwegian and Swedish subtitles and no extra material). In the movie theatre something was wrong in my opinion with the picture. Some kind of resolution error. As if the movie had different resolution than the projector and the resolution change caused some artifacts to the picture. I remember how the first few minutes of the movie were about noticing this "pixel-error". This movie has insanely sharp picture which perhaps explaines the problem. The Blu-ray has very good picture. It might be my "sharpest" Blu-ray. The problems I had in the movie theatre are not on the Blu-ray, but I also noticed this movie really benefits from BIG picture. This movie uses a lot of wide shots together with still camera were the actors are far away from the camera and small. On my small 32" TV this movie looked like watching ants inside a terrarium.  ;D

I don't know if it is my Covid-19 depression or what, but this movie wasn't as funny as it was in the movie theatre. Maybe it's the loss of suprise factor: Now I knew what's going to happen next. This movie surprises anyone watching it for the first time, but when you know the plot, things become logical rather than surprising. Anyway, this is a very good versatile (comedy, drama and thriller) movie. Great to have it on Blu-ray.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Todd

Borat Subsequent Moviefilm: Delivery of Prodigious Bribe to American Regime for Make Benefit Once Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan.  Sacha Baron Cohen apparently hoped lightning would strike twice, but it does not.  The film has good bits - the plastic surgeon bit is the best, the rally, and of course the much ballyhooed but not as juicy as hoped for Rudy Giuliani bit - but it also has clearly staged bits, and too many of the people are more aware of what's happening.  The timing of the release is purposeful (vote!), and parts of the production are just too hasty.  Looks like Cohen was really just a noughtie boy, and his comedic talent has withered, which may be why he is turning more to drama.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Karl Henning

Last night's thumb's-up/thumb's-down exercise: The Omen (2006)

Conclusion: thumb's down

Discussion: I first watched the opening five minutes of this by accident.  I had checked out what I expected to be the original from the library, popped the disc in the tray, and when I saw images of the WTC attack, of course I knew it was the wrong movie.  Same problem, tangentially, when I tried Nightmare on Elm Street. The '06 Omen is in not even the least way value added to the original, to whose storyboards it hews without deviation. I agree with the premise that the original screenplay was not to be "improved upon," but when the final credits roll there is not the shade of an answer to the q.: Just why in the world did they bother?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

milk

Quote from: Todd on October 24, 2020, 04:18:41 AM

Borat Subsequent Moviefilm: Delivery of Prodigious Bribe to American Regime for Make Benefit Once Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan.  Sacha Baron Cohen apparently hoped lightning would strike twice, but it does not.  The film has good bits - the plastic surgeon bit is the best, the rally, and of course the much ballyhooed but not as juicy as hoped for Rudy Giuliani bit - but it also has clearly staged bits, and too many of the people are more aware of what's happening.  The timing of the release is purposeful (vote!), and parts of the production are just too hasty.  Looks like Cohen was really just a noughtie boy, and his comedic talent has withered, which may be why he is turning more to drama.
I'm not watching this although I'm wondering about the Giuliani scene. But not enough to see it. I'm surprised that anyone can get away with parodying a specific country (OK, maybe it it never was about Kazakhstan really - but he could have made up a country) without being cancelled. Though he's clearly talented, I don't really like the concept of trying to find ordinary people to embarrass. There's a little Andy Kauffman in this but Kauffman was so much more of a genius.

Todd

Quote from: milk on October 25, 2020, 06:43:55 AM
I'm not watching this although I'm wondering about the Giuliani scene. But not enough to see it. I'm surprised that anyone can get away with parodying a specific country (OK, maybe it it never was about Kazakhstan really - but he could have made up a country) without being cancelled. Though he's clearly talented, I don't really like the concept of trying to find ordinary people to embarrass. There's a little Andy Kauffman in this but Kauffman was so much more of a genius.

The Giuliani scene is not as shocking or naughty as some outlets have claimed.  Since SBC is attacking a certain subset of people (Trump and his supporters), he can do whatever he wants, even to ordinary people, with his only fear being that of receiving too much adulation.  But that's one thing that's different with this film as opposed to the first: one gets the sense that some of the people are not ordinary people at all, but rather are actors reading scripts. 

George

Borat 2 - I enjoyed it, had quite a few good laughs. The female lead was great.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Brian

Quote from: Todd on October 25, 2020, 06:55:48 AM
But that's one thing that's different with this film as opposed to the first: one gets the sense that some of the people are not ordinary people at all, but rather are actors reading scripts.
I've heard discussion about whether the kooky cabin in the woods guys were all actors/staged.

The thing that bugged me about Borat 1 was that while many of the bits were satiric and pointed, many of them seemed like he just wanted to prank people for the sake of pranking. Like gross out Candid Camera. But I did see it with my parents in the room so maybe I'd enjoy it more without them.

Todd

Karl Henning

It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown
The Nightmare Before Christmas
Rocky Horror Picture Show
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

George

Some good laughs to be had here. Not the best movie I have seen, but certainly enjoyable and worth a watch.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on November 01, 2020, 04:58:10 AM
It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown
The Nightmare Before Christmas
Rocky Horror Picture Show

A classic movie diet for Halloween!  ;D

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

SonicMan46

Criterion was having its 'half sale' recently and obtained the two BDs below:

Heaven Can Wait (1943) w/ Don Ameche, Gene Tierney, Charles Coburn, Louis Calhern, et al; Ernst Lubitsch, Director - short synopsis below - atmospheric settings filmed in gorgeous color and restored beautifully by Criterion, and w/ some of my favorite character actors of the period; Ameche's aging make-up well done.  Highly recommended!  NOTE - a remake w/ the exact same title starring Warren Beatty (1978) is NOT this film but based on Here Comes Mr. Jordan (1941) w/ Robert Montgomery & Claude Rains; also available in a Criterion BD, which is in my collection.

Leave Her To Heaven (1945) w/ Gene Tierney, Cornel Wilde, Jeanne Crain, Vincent Price, et al. - short synopsis below - a psychological film noir but in gorgeous technicolor, and with spectacular outdoor filming in New Mexico & Arizona (e.g. Sedona - a favorite past visits of ours); lake scenes in the Pacific Northwest of Oregon and Washington State - and two of my favorite 'great looking' actresses of the era.  Again, highly recommended!  Dave

QuoteSpoiled playboy Henry van Cleve (Don Ameche) dies and arrives at the entrance to Hell, a final destination he is sure he deserves after living a life of profligacy. The devil (Laird Cregar), however, isn't so sure Henry meets Hell's standards. Convinced he is where he belongs, Henry recounts his life's deeds, both good and bad, including an act of indiscretion during his 25-year marriage to his wife, Martha (Gene Tierney), with the hope that "His Excellency" will arrive at the proper judgment.

QuoteWhile on a train, writer Richard Harland (Cornel Wilde) strikes up a relationship with the gorgeous Ellen Berent (Gene Tierney). Ellen quickly becomes obsessed with Richard and abandons her fiancé, Russell Quinton (Vincent Price), to be with him. The couple rushes into marriage, with both of them caught up in romance and Richard intrigued by Ellen's intensity. Only after settling into marriage, however, does Richard realize that she is psychotically jealous and highly unstable.

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA