Last Movie You Watched

Started by Drasko, April 06, 2007, 07:51:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LKB

Quote from: SonicMan46 on November 23, 2020, 08:12:07 AM
Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (1986) w/ the usual actors + Catherine Hicks (as Gillian, the 20th century whale biologist) - by far, my favorite of the 'movie Star Treks' for its humor and time travel - more HERE - got Susan to even watch and she enjoyed - highly recommended!

It's an entertaining outing. And very few films of any sort feature nuclear wessels...

:P,

LKB
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Karl Henning

Quote from: LKB on November 23, 2020, 11:04:39 AM
It's an entertaining outing. And very few films of any sort feature nuclear wessels...

:P,

LKB

Nice.  Got any LDS?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

SonicMan46

Quote from: LKB on November 23, 2020, 11:04:39 AM
It's an entertaining outing. And very few films of any sort feature nuclear wessels...  :P,

LKB

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on November 23, 2020, 11:33:05 AM
Nice.  Got any LDS?

:laugh: - well, I see you two are quite familiar w/ this film!  Dave

greg

Got the Bluray and watched after for only the second or third time, the first being around when it came out. One of my favorite movies of all time.

Back when I watched it I did get some suspicions for a brief period of time (at least until we took a trip out of state), and eventually I heard that there are actually enough people with this severe thinking disorder to make this an actual known "thing."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Truman_Show_delusion#:~:text=The%20Truman%20Show%20delusion%2C%20informally,are%20being%20watched%20on%20cameras.

And although logically it doesn't resonate at all, definitely still that feeling resonates, the feeling of not being the same as other people and perceiving the fakeness of reality- which it captures well, I guess is the best way to put it.
Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

Madiel

I just finished watching Knives Out.

Hmm. It was kind of fun (my favourite single moment was describing a will reading as like a community theatre production of a tax return), but it never really quite gelled into a complete whole. A lot of the time I felt like I was just supposed to watch the mechanics play out without being fully engaged. Twists didn't quite have the sense of being a twist.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Karl Henning

Sin City I've never watched the sequel(s), should I?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

SonicMan46

Stalag 17 (1953) w/ William Holden, Robert Strauss, Peter Graves, Otto Preminger; Billy Wilder, director; much more HERE for details. Nominated for 3 Oscars w/ Holden winning for 'Best Actor' - Robert Strauss as 'The Animal' is outstanding (Supporting Actor nominee).  The television series Hogan's Heroes (1965 to 1971) was based on a similar Stalag - highly recommended.  Dave :)

SimonNZ

Brian

Hugh Keays-Byrne, villain of two Mad Maxes, has died at 73.

Karl Henning

Paycheck (Ben Affleck, Uma Thurman)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

SurprisedByBeauty

Karl Henning

Last night, Sleuth with Michael Caine  & Olivier (1972)
Tonight, Deathtrap, Michael Caine, Christopher Reeve & Dyan Cannon (1982)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Karl Henning

Willy Wonka & L'usine de chocolat
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Blade Runner (Final Cut, which is what I'm accustomed to watching)
Then, out of curiosity, the 1992 theatrical release, which was, of course, how I first saw the movie.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Daverz

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on December 05, 2020, 04:55:07 PM
Last night, Sleuth with Michael Caine  & Olivier (1972)
Tonight, Deathtrap, Michael Caine, Christopher Reeve & Dyan Cannon (1982)

I remember seeing Deathtrap in the theater when it came out.  At one point there's an unexpected kiss between Caine and Reeves, and a woman in the theater yelled out "Say it ain't so, Superman!"

Madiel

Just watched: Portrait of a Lady on Fire

Well worth it. For starters, the cinematographer deserves every accolade. So often the film looks like a piece of art. And the use of music, though very minimal, is very effective, with The Four Seasons packing a rare emotional punch.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

71 dB

[asin]B0825CGWDF[/asin]
A rather unoriginal and lame ending to the saga, but this wasn't as bad as I feared. The trailer contains pretty much the bad stuff so there wasn't really negative surprises. Jar Jar Abrams tries hard and some things actually work well. C-3PO is surprisingly enjoyable in this one for example. Better than Ruin Johnson's mess aka The Last Jedi.

[asin]B08K9LDMWR[/asin]
Well-written and directed (Vince Gilligan) stylish story of Jesse Pinkman's escape to a new start in life. Younger viewers may find this slow and lacking action. Dave Porter's music wasn't as good as it could have been.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Karl Henning

Quote from: Daverz on December 08, 2020, 12:11:11 AM
I remember seeing Deathtrap in the theater when it came out.  At one point there's an unexpected kiss between Caine and Reeves, and a woman in the theater yelled out "Say it ain't so, Superman!"

When they did, I thought how (had I watched the movie when it was released) that would have made the younger me quite uncomfortable.  That's acting.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Todd

Peterloo.  Mike Leigh's take on that unfortunate event from Manchester's past.  A mixed bag.  On the one hand, the men in power are written and portrayed in a caricatured manner, with some nearly foaming at the mouth in their denunciations of the working class masses.  It's almost cartoonish.  Too, Leigh's script often sounds very play-like, with extended speeches and sequences written in a manner not entirely believable even when adjusting for time and place.  On the other hand, even the most abstruse dialogue possesses a certain energy, and certain vitality, a certain relish in its own wordsmithing that one can't help but enjoy it, whether it's Mr Hunt's stirring oratory, or some more high born ladies talking over some working class women.  Ultimately, though, the film succeeds in the visual realm.  Some botched CG scenics aside - eg, the nascent industrial Manchester skyline - Leigh and cinematographer Dick Pope deliver a montage of wonderful compositions and set pieces.  One speech hall looks like a painting.  The proper use of wide screen composition (one shot with a married couple in bed flanked by candles is simple yet striking) impresses throughout.  Deft use of light and shade in the same frame shows a careful eye.  Wonderful use of physical sets and locations, including some breathtaking shots out of doors, adds life.  Judicious use of motion, be it tracked shots or drone shots, works even in the context of period drama.  It definitely doesn't work in every regard, but one never doubts its bona fides as a serious work of art.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya