Author Topic: Last Movie You Watched  (Read 2700212 times)

Daverz and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online ritter

• Veteran member
  • Raoul Dufy, "Tragédie, Comédie"
Re: Last Movie You Watched
« Reply #30760 on: December 27, 2020, 09:29:34 AM »
Just back from watching Pedro Almodóvar‘s The Human Voice, starring Tilda Swinton.

Almódovar‘s short—his first English language film—is an adaptation and updating of Jean Cocteau‘s monodrama La voix humaine (known to music lovers because of Francis Poulenc‘s operatic version of 1959); it’s quite effective and visually arresting, and Swinton is excellent in her rôle. It’s “very Almodóvar” in it aesthetics, and also has some typical self-references (the filmmaker already used Cocteau’s play for some passages of his early La ley del deseo, and Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown was originally supposed to conclude with the telephone call that is The Human Voice, but then that sequence vanished (as the director himself acknowledges in a short address to the Spanish audience before the start of the film proper).

With this I’ve seen the play and the opera (in a clever staging by Gerardo Vera here in Madrid some 25 years ago, in which we got the play in Spanish translation—with Cecilia Roth—immediately followed by Poulenc’s version with a wonderful Felicity Lott), and now Almodóvar’s screen version.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2020, 09:41:12 AM by ritter »
ritter
-------------------------------------------------------------
« Je recommence ma vie
Je suis né pour te connaître
Pour te nommer

Liberté »

Offline Papy Oli

• Veteran member
« Reply #30761 on: December 28, 2020, 10:32:43 AM »
Recent holiday viewing :

Grease (a first viewing, easy-going, maybe my last  :laugh: )
Paddington 2 - Way more enjoyable that I'd thought
The Dam Busters (another first viewing, great film - I had the Eric Coates CD before even seeing the movie)
Planes, Trains & Automobiles (Another first viewing, good fun this)
Olivier

Online SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #30762 on: December 28, 2020, 10:45:16 AM »
Recent holiday viewing :

Grease (a first viewing, easy-going, maybe my last  :laugh: ) - seen once likely rented when released - that was enough for me -  :laugh:
Paddington 2 - Way more enjoyable that I'd thought - I really enjoyed both of the Paddington bear films - did not buy though - watch again?
The Dam Busters (another first viewing, great film - I had the Eric Coates CD before even seeing the movie) - saw way back - want the BD!
Planes, Trains & Automobiles (Another first viewing, good fun this) - seen once which was enough.  8)

Hey Papy Oli - quite an eclectic mix - my comments in bold above.  Dave :)

Offline 71 dB

• Veteran member
  • 私はコーヒーを飲む
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #30763 on: December 28, 2020, 12:14:23 PM »
Recent holiday viewing :
Planes, Trains & Automobiles (Another first viewing, good fun this)

First viewing? Wow! This is such a gem and works so well on repeated viewings thanks to John Candy and Steve Martin being so damn good (funny) together.

In Finland this movie is called "Vauhdilla Chicagoon" (with speed to Chicago).   :P
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW track "Ecclesiastical Secularism"

Offline Madiel

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
  • Currently Listening to:
    Whatever's listed in my blog.
« Reply #30764 on: December 28, 2020, 03:46:36 PM »
Paddington 2 is a total delight. You can just tell that all the actors were having a great time.

Most recently watched: Onward.

In many ways standard Pixar fare. Which means well crafted and emotionally affecting. I enjoyed it, as I enjoy nearly all their films, without thinking it's one of their greats. Chris Pratt does lots of good work.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Online SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #30765 on: December 29, 2020, 09:53:44 AM »
Well, we watched a number of 'Christmas Holiday' films but Susan wanted something about New Years, so she selected the one below, which we streamed from Amazon:

After the Thin Man (1936) w/ William Powell, Myrna Loy, James Stewart, and of course, Asta, their dog - short synopsis below, first quote - based on the novel, The Thin Man by Dashiell Hammett (see second quote); this is the second of 6 'Thin Man Films' made w/ the co-stars from 1934-1947, all quite entertaining - events occur around New Year's Eve w/ nightclub scenes, etc. - recommended, especially if you have not seen the 'chemistry' between Powell and Loy in these detective films.  Dave :)

Recently returned home from vacation, private detective Nick Charles (William Powell) and his socialite wife, Nora (Myrna Loy), are back on the case when Nora's cousin, Selma, reports her husband Robert missing. As the duo search for the disreputable Robert, Selma's friend David Graham (James Stewart), who secretly pines for her, aids the investigation. When the three begin to unravel Robert's secret life, the missing persons case turns into one of murder.

Dashiell Hammett (1894–1961) was an American author of hard-boiled detective novels and short stories. He was also a screenwriter and political activist. Among the enduring characters he created are Sam Spade (The Maltese Falcon), Nick and Nora Charles (The Thin Man), the Continental Op (Red Harvest and The Dain Curse) and the comic strip character Secret Agent X-9. (Source)

Offline SurprisedByBeauty

• Veteran member
  • Back. Hello!
    • Surprised by Beauty
    anything from Monteverdi to Widmann and well beyond in either direction and everything in the middle!
« Reply #30766 on: December 30, 2020, 04:07:17 AM »
Well, we watched a number of 'Christmas Holiday' films but Susan wanted something about New Years, so she selected the one below, which we streamed from Amazon:

After the Thin Man (1936) w/ William Powell, Myrna Loy, James Stewart, and of course, Asta, their dog - short synopsis below, first quote - based on the novel, The Thin Man by Dashiell Hammett (see second quote); this is the second of 6 'Thin Man Films' made w/ the co-stars from 1934-1947, all quite entertaining - events occur around New Year's Eve w/ nightclub scenes, etc. - recommended, especially if you have not seen the 'chemistry' between Powell and Loy in these detective films.  Dave :)

I want to see that! I love these types of films.

Meanwhile, we went for something silly and light, after Lawrence of Arabia:

This is Spinal Tap

Offline Papy Oli

• Veteran member
« Reply #30767 on: December 30, 2020, 04:25:14 AM »
2 more classics off the first viewing list yesterday  :-[ Very enjoyable too.

Singing in the Rain & Some like it hot.

One of the songs of Singing in the Rain stuck in my head as being already familiar. After about half an hour of humming the tune, it came back to me that it had been used in a French TV ad in the 80's... for a mattress brand.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/quL_bCKBRGQ" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/quL_bCKBRGQ</a>
Olivier

Offline greg

• Veteran member
« Reply #30768 on: December 31, 2020, 09:46:03 PM »
Re-watch of Cloverfield.

Gonna say it now, this really might be my favorite movie of all time, if I had to choose. (The Truman Show being 2nd and Silent Hill being 3rd).

The biggest, most reoccurring problem of any creative work in any genre is the tendency to be boring. And this is the least boring, possibly most intense movie I've ever seen.

Going to watch the two sequels from my blu ray in the next few days (for the first time).
Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

Offline AlberichUndHagen

« Reply #30769 on: January 01, 2021, 11:48:00 AM »
Re-watched The man who would be king yesterday. A good fun as always.

Offline Madiel

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
    Whatever's listed in my blog.
« Reply #30770 on: January 01, 2021, 02:59:22 PM »
The Wrestler.

It's always nice when something lives up to the reviews. This was a strong movie, set in a world I wouldn't expect to care about but I cared about Mickey Rourke and Marisa Tomei.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Offline greg

• Veteran member
« Reply #30771 on: January 01, 2021, 10:22:33 PM »

Watched 10 Cloverfield Lane and The Cloverfield Paradox.

The former being a highly suspenseful thriller and the latter being a very difficult, but interesting, plot. Both waaaay different from the first one, and also way different than each other. But still the same consistent tone of trying to figure out the underlying truth of what is actually going on.

Such an awesome movie trilogy. Seems it still keeps you in the dark about the commonality between the three movies, though, other than the obvious aspects that you can observe.
Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

Offline Christo

• Veteran member
  • ... an opening of those magic casements ...
« Reply #30772 on: January 02, 2021, 05:08:20 AM »
Roma, by Mexican film maker Alfonso Cuarón. An incredible dive into the early 1970s, with all details fitting; and an every day's life story that convinces enough:
… music is not only an 'entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Online SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #30773 on: January 02, 2021, 11:54:32 AM »
Sweet Smell of Success (1957) w/ Burt Lancaster, Tony Curtis, et al - features the Chico Hamilton Quintet - synopsis below; the interaction of Burt and Tony, both 'dirt balls' is excellent - I enjoyed but Susan wasn't enthralled - recommended if the description below is of interest.

Songcatcher (2000) w/ Janet McTeer, Aidan Quinn and many others, including Taj Mahal & Iris DeMent - synopsis below - although reviews were somewhat mixed on release, we love this movie - filmed around Asheville and the North Carolina mountains, just 'close to home' for us.  The musical performances are the highlight in my mind - more at the link.  Dave :)

Sweet Smell of Success is a 1957 film noir drama film directed by Alexander Mackendrick, starring Burt Lancaster, Tony Curtis, Susan Harrison, and Martin Milner. The shadowy noir cinematography filmed on location in New York City was shot by James Wong Howe. The musical score was arranged and conducted by Elmer Bernstein and the film also features jazz performances by the Chico Hamilton Quintet. The film tells the story of powerful and sleazy newspaper columnist J.J. Hunsecker (based on Walter Winchell) who uses his connections to ruin his sister's relationship with a man he deems unworthy of her. Despite a poorly received preview screening, the film has greatly improved in stature and is now highly acclaimed by film critics, particularly for its cinematography and screenplay. In 1993, the film was selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry by the Library of Congress as being "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant."(edited  Source)

Songcatcher is a 2000 drama film directed by Maggie Greenwald. It is about a musicologist researching and collecting Appalachian folk music in the mountains of western North Carolina. Although Songcatcher is a fictional film, it is loosely based on the work of Olive Dame Campbell, founder of the John C. Campbell Folk School in Brasstown, North Carolina, and that of the English folk song collector Cecil Sharp, portrayed at the end of the film as professor Cyrus Whittle. (Source)

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, D. Scarlattii, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Martinů, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #30774 on: January 03, 2021, 04:07:51 PM »
Once again, Uma Thurman has killed Bill.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline SurprisedByBeauty

• Veteran member
  • Back. Hello!
    • Surprised by Beauty
    anything from Monteverdi to Widmann and well beyond in either direction and everything in the middle!
« Reply #30775 on: January 04, 2021, 06:28:42 AM »

We watched that, a few nights ago. Boy... if it weren't for Powell and Loy, it would probably be a stinker. The more often I see James Stewart, the more convinced I am that he really _was_ a lousy actor. That goshdarn whiney, oily, dawdling, mouth-full-of-marbles voice of his, medium-full of righteous pity, and the hang-dog look: He can be really quite insufferable -- unless he's in a tight, tight script. (Vertigo, for example.)

Still, I'm not sure if now I don't want to watch the other "Thin Man" bits, after all. :-) I'm conflicted.

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #30776 on: January 04, 2021, 06:36:48 AM »
Roma, by Mexican film maker Alfonso Cuarón. An incredible dive into the early 1970s, with all details fitting; and an every day's life story that convinces enough:

A great movie indeed.

Offline Papy Oli

• Veteran member
« Reply #30777 on: January 04, 2021, 07:02:22 AM »
Bridget Jones, Edge of Reason & It's a Wonderful Life.

;D

Olivier

Online SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #30778 on: January 04, 2021, 09:27:16 AM »
We watched that, a few nights ago. Boy... if it weren't for Powell and Loy, it would probably be a stinker. The more often I see James Stewart, the more convinced I am that he really _was_ a lousy actor. That goshdarn whiney, oily, dawdling, mouth-full-of-marbles voice of his, medium-full of righteous pity, and the hang-dog look: He can be really quite insufferable -- unless he's in a tight, tight script. (Vertigo, for example.)

Still, I'm not sure if now I don't want to watch the other "Thin Man" bits, after all. :-) I'm conflicted.

Hi Jens - the chemistry between Powell & Loy was special, assume the reason a half dozen films were made - I've seen them all and that main star relationship remains strong; however, after seeing the second one, my wife was not interested in continuing on w/ the series, so a 'conflicted' family here in North Carolina!  :laugh:

About James Stewart, I own many of his films from the famous early ones (Destry Rides Again, Little Shop Around..Corner, Mr. Smith...Washington, It's Wonderful Life) to the later '50s Westerns he made w/ Anthony Mann - not sure how many to these you may have seen but he was and remains a favorite of his many fans.  Dave :)

Offline milk

• Veteran member
« Reply #30779 on: January 06, 2021, 04:51:31 PM »