Last Movie You Watched

Started by Drasko, April 06, 2007, 07:51:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SonicMan46

Quote from: DavidW on January 20, 2021, 10:16:15 AM
Enjoy Dave!  And don't forget to pick up some 4k discs to watch. :)

Hi David - as starters, last night ordered the two below which got great reviews HERE - not planning to replace my current DVD/BD collection but will be nice to have a dozen or so around -  :laugh:  Dave

DavidW

Old movies generally look great on the format because good quality 35 mm offers very high resolution, and a wide color gamut that 4k hdr can take advantage of.  It is usually the newer movies that use 2k digital intermediates and fake hdr grading that are iffy.  My rule of thumb is that if it is an older movie JUST BUY IT.  It will look better for sure.  If it is a newer movie, that is what I jump to reviews for.

But don't expect to be blown away, it is a subtle upgrade.  I have a 75 inch tv and I'm perfectly fine with hd.  This is just not like the upgrade from dvd to hd, or from vhs to dvd before that.

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Papy Oli

Couple of nights ago.

Funny, very sarcastic, also quite touching. A very good balance.
Olivier

milk

71 dB

I got a 5 euros birthday voucher from CDON online store. They had a five Blu-ray set of Superman movies on sale for 15 euros. With the voucher and shipping I payed 12.90 euros. I have watched the three first movies so far:

Superman (1978)

I have seen this maybe 2-3 times on TV in the past. I used to think it's a bit crappy and the special effects of Superman flying are, but otherwise this is actually a solid and entertaining movie! Good soundtrack by John Williams and I like how slow this movie is compared to 21st century ADHD superhero movies.

Superman II (1980)

To my surprise I had never seen this. This was a completely new movie for me. I was pleased with this. I enjoyed it a lot. It has a great relaxed feel and is very entertaining. This is a really good sequel to the first movie.

Superman III (1983)

Another movie I had never seen before! Did they never show these on TV beyond the first one or what? Unfortunately this one is not on the level of the first two. It tries hard, too hard if you ask me. It seems to have too many ideas and fails to do any of them well. Georgio Moroder's music sounds crappy. The slow spacing of the first two movies is replaced by neurotic story telling where nobody stops to think if it makes sense or not.

I have to say Christopher Reeve is really really good in this role of Clark Kent/Superman. He was born for this role the same way Harrison Ford was born to play the roles of Indiana Jones and Han Solo.  0:)
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

André

I have to say Christopher Reeve is really really good in this role of Clark Kent/Superman. He was born for this role the same way Harrison Ford was born to play the roles of Indiana Jones and Han Solo

I absolutely agree. Reeve's Man of Steel is equally believable as an endearing, goofy and classy superhero. All others who followed are one-dimensional in comparison.

SimonNZ

Thought this very well written and well made, let down only by Sam Rockwell's performance being waaay over the top and promising a conclusion it doesn't deliver.

milk

Quote from: SimonNZ on January 21, 2021, 04:36:16 PM

Thought this very well written and well made, let down only by Sam Rockwell's performance being waaay over the top and promising a conclusion it doesn't deliver.
This movie really rubbed me the wrong way. I thought it was very self-conscious and strained. It seemed like it did everything you'd want to do if you admired the Coen brothers (which I do). Everything was too much in this film, although I could see why the actors thought they'd struck gold when they read the script. It's very...um...script-y. 

71 dB

Superman IV - The Quest for Peace (1987)

I had not seen this one either. Clearly they had learned from the mistakes done with the third movie, because this movie felt a return to the style of the first two movies. I liked the international feel: Superman is not only for the US. He also helps Russian cosmonauts and Italians. Apparently Superman can speak any language which is cool. I liked the anti-war/anti-nuclear weapons message. I liked the "newspapers should tell the truth" message which is even more important today than it was back in 1987. John Williams is back and delivers a score that sounds great after the moronic score of Georgio Moroder in the third movie. The double role of Clark Kent/Superman provides plenty of comedy and Christopher Reeve executes it all very well. This movie isn't perhaps quite as good as the first two, but it's a clear improvement over the third one. Unfortunately the soundtrack is strangely unstable. Listening to it on headphones as I did felt like the sonic equivalence of driving a car on a bumpy road.  :-\
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: milk on January 21, 2021, 09:03:11 PM
This movie really rubbed me the wrong way. I thought it was very self-conscious and strained. It seemed like it did everything you'd want to do if you admired the Coen brothers (which I do). Everything was too much in this film, although I could see why the actors thought they'd struck gold when they read the script. It's very...um...script-y.

I get that vibe just from the title, actually... ;-)

TD:

The Big Sick

Kumail Nanjiani's semi-autobiographic rom-com.

Actually very touching and rather funny.
Ray Romano comes close to stealing the show.
Avail. on Amazon Prime.

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

SonicMan46

Last night, tested out my new Sony 49" 4K HDTV w/ a Sony 4K BDP - watched the two 4K films below - both quite spectacular - each comes w/ standard blu-ray discs but did no comparisons - the reviews are convincing enough for me - E.T. HERE and Bridge...Kwai HERE - not about to replace ALL of my 500+ BDs nor buy many 4K films, but certainly an 'enhanced' experience w/ the new equipment.  :)  Dave

DavidW

Looks like we're on the same page.  Better, but not replace a whole library better.  Especially not at the premium prices.  Studios have really slowed down (not that they were ever fast) 4k physical disc releases because it is not a good value proposition for most people including collectors.  Most are happy to just stream at that quality (the discs do have higher bandwidth though fyi).

SonicMan46

Quote from: DavidW on January 23, 2021, 10:29:12 AM
Looks like we're on the same page.  Better, but not replace a whole library better.  Especially not at the premium prices.  Studios have really slowed down (not that they were ever fast) 4k physical disc releases because it is not a good value proposition for most people including collectors.  Most are happy to just stream at that quality (the discs do have higher bandwidth though fyi).

Hi David - yep, I'll be very 'miserly' in purchasing physical 4K offerings for the reasons you mention - buying 4K streaming HD might be more appealing but the physical discs will still have better quality and sound, although might be close as long as your internet connection is good.  My son and I have been discussing these issues via email (he's been into 4K for a while) - sent me a link 4K BD vs. 4K Streaming worth watching for those trying to make this decision; of course, many of these physical 4K products include a standard BD + a code to obtain a digital version - Dave :)

SimonNZ

steve ridgway

I tried watching Blade Runner 2049 but gave up half way through, the future world was so grim I couldn't see why anyone could bear to live in it.

SonicMan46

Quote from: steve ridgway on January 24, 2021, 06:23:01 AM
I tried watching Blade Runner 2049 but gave up half way through, the future world was so grim I couldn't see why anyone could bear to live in it.

Enjoy the original w/ Harrison Ford and own on BD (may upgrade to 4K now that I have some new AV equipment?) - but I streamed Blade Runner 2049 in early 2018 - I keep short notes of movies seen in a database and just checked - basically said 'not bad but too long' (clocks in at 163 mins!) - RottenTomatoes ratings shown below - an 81% audience listing is similar to 4*/5* which would be the most I could give the film, but at least a 3 1/2* for me; I don't plan to rewatch it.  Dave :)

Karl Henning

I don't see myself having the patience for it. I still half-regret the time spent watching Prometheus.  And you cannot pay me to watch Alien Covenant.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

DavidW

I really like Blade Runner 2049.  I know people that didn't like the original, but like the sequel.  Karl, Blade Runner 2049 is not made by Ridley Scott!  It's made by Denis Villeneuve.  Prometheus and Alien Covenant have nothing to do with this.

But Steve yeah I get it.  These days the world is so grim that I'm not really into dystopian sf currently.