Last Movie You Watched

Started by Drasko, April 06, 2007, 07:51:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidW

Speaking of Ridley Scott...  I initially liked Raised by Wolves but by the time I reached the end oh I hated it!  It was like it combined the worst aspects of Prometheus and Lost in one show.

71 dB

Quote from: steve ridgway on January 24, 2021, 06:23:01 AM
I tried watching Blade Runner 2049 but gave up half way through, the future world was so grim I couldn't see why anyone could bear to live in it.

Well, North-Korea is a pretty grim place, so why anyone should bear to live in that country? Science fiction is not about future or past. It's about projecting aspects of present time into another time and/or place so that we can study those aspects as outsiders, because oftentimes we are blinded by these aspects around us in everyday life. So, if for example in a sci-fi (book/movie/etc.) technology has made the lives miserable in some ways, the reader/watcher is "supposed" to take that as a hint to inspect our own lives to perhaps realize technology has made our lives miserable kind of a similar way. At best sci-fi increases people's ability to be aware of problems around us, things we would be blind to otherwise and perhaps even fix those problems!

That said, I watched Blade Runner 2049 quite recently for the first time and found it good, but not great. In my opinion the movie struggles in deciding what it's about, contains more (pointless) violence than needed and I also disliked the music (especially those idiotic synth "farts"). I don't consider Blade Runner 2049 a "must see" movie.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: SonicMan46 on January 23, 2021, 09:29:23 AM
Last night, tested out my new Sony 49" 4K HDTV w/ a Sony 4K BDP - watched the two 4K films below - both quite spectacular - each comes w/ standard blu-ray discs but did no comparisons - the reviews are convincing enough for me - E.T. HERE and Bridge...Kwai HERE - not about to replace ALL of my 500+ BDs nor buy many 4K films, but certainly an 'enhanced' experience w/ the new equipment.  :)  Dave

Out of curiosity, how much of a difference do you see in older movies like The Bridge?  I have very few DVDs (still need to get rid of some old VHS!)...and have a basic but good CD/DVD/SACD player.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

DavidW

If you have a premium 4K tv it is like being at the Chinese Mann for the premiere.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on January 24, 2021, 12:36:55 PM
Out of curiosity, how much of a difference do you see in older movies like The Bridge?  I have very few DVDs (still need to get rid of some old VHS!)...and have a basic but good CD/DVD/SACD player.

Hi PD - well, you have a lot of catching up to do!  :laugh:  The first DVD players were released in the USA in the late 1990s - that's when I dumped my small collection of VHS tapes (knew that DVD was coming since collecting CDs since 1984) - then my video collection, i.e. DVDs quickly reached into the hundreds; then around 2006 or so, BDs were released and I started to replace my DVDs (now at about 700+ optical discs w/ 70% or so now being BDs) - just in the last 2 months, I've upgraded my AV equipment to experience the 4K blu-ray experience.

So, take a look at the first pic (Source) - the purple rectangle is the resolution of a DVD (your VHS tapes fit into that tiny space); most BDs are 1920x1080 (green box); and the LARGE orange box is 4K resolution - not sure how many VHS tapes you own or want to replace? Also keep in mind that if you want to start collecting BDs, you'll need a BD player and a decent HDTV (preferably 1080p) - NOW, if you want to explore 4K, then again both a need for new AV equipment plus 4K media.

Sorry to be long winded but getting back to your question, a well restored BD and even more a 4K will put to shame VHS/DVD technology (like watching B&W TV from the 1950s -  ;)) - if you want some comparisons, check out YouTube (left a link a few posts ago) or visit Blu-ray.com (second pic below) where there are plenty of reviews on all of the AV types, now including 4K offerings - one of my favorite sites to check before buying BDs and now 4Ks.  Dave :)

Karl Henning

Quote from: DavidW on January 24, 2021, 10:48:06 AM
I really like Blade Runner 2049.  I know people that didn't like the original, but like the sequel.  Karl, Blade Runner 2049 is not made by Ridley Scott!  It's made by Denis Villeneuve.  Prometheus and Alien Covenant have nothing to do with this.

But Steve yeah I get it.  These days the world is so grim that I'm not really into dystopian sf currently.

Thanks for the corrigenda, Davey!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Madiel

Quote from: SonicMan46 on January 24, 2021, 02:03:47 PM
Hi PD - well, you have a lot of catching up to do!  :laugh:  The first DVD players were released in the USA in the late 1990s - that's when I dumped my small collection of VHS tapes (knew that DVD was coming since collecting CDs since 1984) - then my video collection, i.e. DVDs quickly reached into the hundreds; then around 2006 or so, BDs were released and I started to replace my DVDs (now at about 700+ optical discs w/ 70% or so now being BDs) - just in the last 2 months, I've upgraded my AV equipment to experience the 4K blu-ray experience.

So, take a look at the first pic (Source) - the purple rectangle is the resolution of a DVD (your VHS tapes fit into that tiny space); most BDs are 1920x1080 (green box); and the LARGE orange box is 4K resolution - not sure how many VHS tapes you own or want to replace? Also keep in mind that if you want to start collecting BDs, you'll need a BD player and a decent HDTV (preferably 1080p) - NOW, if you want to explore 4K, then again both a need for new AV equipment plus 4K media.

Sorry to be long winded but getting back to your question, a well restored BD and even more a 4K will put to shame VHS/DVD technology (like watching B&W TV from the 1950s -  ;)) - if you want some comparisons, check out YouTube (left a link a few posts ago) or visit Blu-ray.com (second pic below) where there are plenty of reviews on all of the AV types, now including 4K offerings - one of my favorite sites to check before buying BDs and now 4Ks.  Dave :)

Except those larger boxes are a little misleading. Your TV doesn't magically increase in size. How much difference you actually experience depends on what you're actually viewing the image on.

I have a 4K television. I also have a DVD player as well as an Apple TV 4K. For most purposes the lower resolution of DVD makes precious little difference to me. I mean, sure, if was buying a player now it would be a Blu-Ray of some kind, but thus far sticking with DVD has scarcely been an impediment.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

DavidW

Nearly all the people I know bought dvds, then switched to streaming and never ever picked up blu-ray.  It's kind of the laser disc of the hd era.

Mirror Image

Quote from: DavidW on January 25, 2021, 04:29:42 PM
Nearly all the people I know bought dvds, then switched to streaming and never ever picked up blu-ray.  It's kind of the laser disc of the hd era.

No hardly. LaserDisc had a short life. Remember that Blu-ray won the war with HD DVD. It seems to me that while DVDs are still around, they're becoming less and less prominent in many people's households. Unfortunately, there are just some things you can't buy on Blu-ray, so this is where the DVD is still invaluable, but Blu-ray remains a popular medium. I still have a LaserDisc player and I have the original Star Wars trilogy (i. e. original theatrical releases) before it was butchered and rejiggered by Lucas. I have transferred them all to DVD-R and, right now, they're the only ones I watch if I want to see the original trilogy.

DavidW

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 25, 2021, 04:39:26 PM
LaserDisc had a short life.

lol no.  Laser disc lasted for decades.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Madiel on January 25, 2021, 04:03:42 PM
Except those larger boxes are a little misleading. Your TV doesn't magically increase in size. How much difference you actually experience depends on what you're actually viewing the image on.

I have a 4K television. I also have a DVD player as well as an Apple TV 4K. For most purposes the lower resolution of DVD makes precious little difference to me. I mean, sure, if was buying a player now it would be a Blu-Ray of some kind, but thus far sticking with DVD has scarcely been an impediment.

Quote from: DavidW on January 25, 2021, 04:29:42 PM

Well, the boxes are really not misleading but represent pixel resolution; of course, the importance of resolution will be impacted by the screen image size, HDTV technology, viewing distance, media being used (e.g. DVD vs. BD) and its quality, and likely other factors - in general, DVD resolution quality is inferior to BD but whether a viewer cares about the differences is their decision.

As to optical disc sales (from CDs, DVDs, BDs, and now 4Ks), obviously a drastic loss has occurred in the last 20 years - this is a well known fact as is evident by the graph below (Source) w/ a corresponding increase in streaming services, as is apparent - BUT in this forum, many still are buying physical CD media and DVDs, BDs, and 4Ks will also still sell, just not at the volumes their producers would hope - streaming is obviously the future.  For myself, in the last year or so, I probably have not bought more than a few dozen physical optical discs but have done a LOT of streaming and have purchased much visual media as digital streaming products.  The graph shows what is happening but individuals will still follow their own minds in buying and using this media.  Dave :)

Madiel

Quote from: SonicMan46 on January 25, 2021, 07:15:35 PM
Well, the boxes are really not misleading but represent pixel resolution

Yes, but pixel resolution does not = a bigger picture, when you have the same screen. It means a more detailed picture of the same size.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Madiel

Just watched Chappaquiddick.

The news cycle and political spin, 1969 style. Pretty good.

EDIT: I had zero idea the actor playing Ted Kennedy is Australian.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Madiel on January 25, 2021, 10:09:21 PM
Just watched Chappaquiddick.

The news cycle and political spin, 1969 style. Pretty good.

EDIT: I had zero idea the actor playing Ted Kennedy is Australian.

Wife & I are always amazed at the Aussie (and British, too) actors and actresses who can do perfect American accents - just one example is inserted above, i.e. Hugh Jackman as Curly in the London stage version of Oklahoma which we own on BD and watch at least once a year.  Dave :)

Karl Henning

For only the second time, Barry Lyndon.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Wanderer

Some of the films I watched during the holidays and throughout January:

La Grande Bellezza (Paolo Sorrentino, 2013)
Shoplifters (Hirokazu Kore-eda, 2018)
The Handmaiden (Chan-wook Park, 2016)
Train to Busan (Sang-ho Yeon, 2016)
Son of Saul (László Nemes, 2015)

Bellissima (Luchino Visconti, 1951)
I vitelloni (Federico Fellini, 1953)
Roman Holiday (William Wyler, 1953)
Nights of Cabiria (Le notti di Cabiria, Federico Fellini, 1957)
The White Sheikh (Lo sceicco bianco, Federico Fellini, 1952)
La dolce vita (Federico Fellini, 1960)
La strada (Federico Fellini, 1954)

SonicMan46

Jesse Stone Movies staring Tom Selleck as the police chief in the small fictional New England town of Paradise (loosely based on the town of Marblehead, MA) - streaming on Amazon - have watched the first three films below (best to start w/ Night Passage, then Stone Cold) - based on a series of detective novels (see list below from link) by Robert B. Parker (more HERE).  Dave :)

André

Quote from: Wanderer on January 28, 2021, 04:39:12 AM
Some of the films I watched during the holidays and throughout January:

La Grande Bellezza (Paolo Sorrentino, 2013)
Shoplifters (Hirokazu Kore-eda, 2018)
The Handmaiden (Chan-wook Park, 2016)
Train to Busan (Sang-ho Yeon, 2016)

Son of Saul (László Nemes, 2015)

Bellissima (Luchino Visconti, 1951)
I vitelloni (Federico Fellini, 1953)
Roman Holiday (William Wyler, 1953)
Nights of Cabiria (Le notti di Cabiria, Federico Fellini, 1957)
The White Sheikh (Lo sceicco bianco, Federico Fellini, 1952)
La dolce vita (Federico Fellini, 1960)
La strada (Federico Fellini, 1954)

Great selection ! What did you think of the films I bolded ?

Among the Fellinis, Nights of Cabiria is my favourite, probably Masina's best performance ever and Fellini's best movie from the fifties.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: André on January 28, 2021, 11:24:35 AM
Great selection ! What did you think of the films I bolded ?

Among the Fellinis, Nights of Cabiria is my favourite, probably Masina's best performance ever and Fellini's best movie from the fifties.

Yes they all are great movies.
Cabiria is a great movie though I must say that my favorites are Casanova and Satyricon.

André

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on January 28, 2021, 11:57:41 AM
Yes they all are great movies.
Cabiria is a great movie though I must say that my favorites are Casanova and Satyricon.

Indeed, Satyricon is his greatest opus IMO, with Cabiria, Roma and 8 1/2 coming next. I didn't really like Casanova though. I watched it when it came out and haven't seen it since. Time to invest in that Tutto Fellini box, methinks...