Last Movie You Watched

Started by Drasko, April 06, 2007, 07:51:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

André

Quote from: ritter on January 30, 2021, 08:04:39 AM
The films of Louis de Funès were part of my childhood, but I haven't watched one in around 40 years! So today, I watched La grande vadrouille (released in the UK as Don't Look Now... We're Being Shot At!):

Great stuff!  :)

A classic indeed. I never tire of watching it (every 3-4 years).  :D

ritter

Karl Henning

Quote from: DavidW on January 30, 2021, 07:38:44 AM
I watched Midnight Sky with George Clooney as the last man on Earth.  He is trying to communicate with a ship coming in from a two year mission to Jupiter to warn them about what happened.  It was a surprisingly good movie that I had just randomly selected.

Interesting!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Brahmsian

Quote from: DavidW on January 30, 2021, 07:38:44 AM
I watched Midnight Sky with George Clooney as the last man on Earth.  He is trying to communicate with a ship coming in from a two year mission to Jupiter to warn them about what happened.  It was a surprisingly good movie that I had just randomly selected.

It was quite good. I enjoyed it, David.

SimonNZ

With a friend yesterday: the first two hours of A Brighter Summer Day, the final two hours next week.

SimonNZ

Years ago on a forum that no longer exists someone asked the community if this thing you often see in movies or tv of chess games where someone says "check" and the opponent immediately counters with "checkmate" was actually possible. I and a few others answered that, yes, it technically is - to get out of check you could, say, move your knight to block it which in doing opened up the path of your rook which is now facing the opposite king that has no safe squares to move to and no piece that can block. But even a very very poor player would see this coming and avoid it, it would only happen if your opponent had learnt the rules of chess that day.

This is a perfectly enjoyable kinda-remake of director Luc Besson's own Nikita...but I deduct a big point for perpetuating the check-checkmate cliche.

DavidW

Yeah Simon I hate that check/checkmate nonsense too.  And they always act completely surprised.  I'm a bad chess player but I wouldn't be that surprised.

Benji

Quote from: DavidW on February 01, 2021, 04:24:55 PM
Yeah Simon I hate that check/checkmate nonsense too.  And they always act completely surprised.  I'm a bad chess player but I wouldn't be that surprised.

I think if I was terrible at chess (I don't need to think too hard as it's true), and could see ahead that I was likely to lose in a turn or two I'd 100% take the opportunity to at at least get to say 'check' before I was dispatched 😎😂

DavidW

Quote from: Benji on February 01, 2021, 04:30:48 PM
I think if I was terrible at chess (I don't need to think too hard as it's true), and could see ahead that I was likely to lose in a turn or two I'd 100% take the opportunity to at at least get to say 'check' before I was dispatched 😎😂

:D

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

SonicMan46

Quote from: Dowder on February 01, 2021, 04:17:04 PM
The Misfits from 1961. Gable, Monroe and Clift's last film. Hadn't seen it in about 20 years but an excellent movie.

1+ - just bought the BD recently - outstanding AV reviews HERE - excellent film w/ a great bluray restoration - highly recommended!  Dave :)

milk

SimonNZ

Hadn't realized before now that the tv series was spun off this film.

It started so well, and I especially liked the city council discussing dealing with the problem of returning dead in unemotional dry professional tones like its any other local government problem that might arise. But sadly they ran out of ideas about where to go with the story.

Karl Henning

Last night: The 39 Steps
Tonight: The Man Who Knew Too Much (1934)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

SonicMan46

For the holidays (and still in isolation), we treated ourselves to a new Sony 49" 4K HDTV & Sony 4K BD player - and to test them out watched over several nights the BD films below - both Sony devices are suppose to upscale the standard blu-ray signal - and both films looked (and sounded) spectacular - bought two 4K movies (Bridge on the River Kwai & E.T.) which were outstanding - but not sure that I'll be buying that many 4K replacements for BDs which already look great (and are not a bargain!) - I'll be frugal and read reviews!  8)  Dave

drogulus

Quote from: SonicMan46 on February 04, 2021, 08:56:24 AM
For the holidays (and still in isolation), we treated ourselves to a new Sony 49" 4K HDTV & Sony 4K BD player - and to test them out watched over several nights the BD films below - both Sony devices are suppose to upscale the standard blu-ray signal - and both films looked (and sounded) spectacular - bought two 4K movies (Bridge on the River Kwai & E.T.) which were outstanding - but not sure that I'll be buying that many 4K replacements for BDs which already look great (and are not a bargain!) - I'll be frugal and read reviews!  8)  Dave

If you want to see what UHD HDR can do Planet Earth II and Blue Planet II would be good picks.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

SonicMan46

Quote from: drogulus on February 04, 2021, 09:10:31 AM
     If you want to see what UHD HDR can do Planet Earth II and Blue Planet II would be good picks.

Thanks - I do own Planet Earth BD and I've watched both Planet Earth II and Blue Planet II at my son's house (he has a 50+" 4K HDTV) but I can't remember if he own just the BDs or the 4K versions - now these not inexpensive as shown below, i.e. $58 for a 'combo box' of 10 discs - Dave :)

Addendum: talk to my son who has the 4K versions which I watched @ his house - SO, went ahead and put in the order on Amazon for the combo box below - looking forward to watching ALL!

SimonNZ

A lot of interesting ideas and development with no conclusion just future possibilities, as though it was not a stand alone film but the pilot episode of a tv series.

milk

Quote from: SimonNZ on January 30, 2021, 02:43:40 PM

With a friend yesterday: the first two hours of A Brighter Summer Day, the final two hours next week.
a real gem.

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA