Last Movie You Watched

Started by Drasko, April 06, 2007, 07:51:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Todd

Coming 2 America.  I made it through about half of the flick before turning it off.  It's just fucking awful.  Everything is rehashed and tired, and the digital effects - whether the scenics, the animals, or the grotesque digital de-aging - all suck.  Only the sight of Wesley Snipes as the military dictator of Nextdoria is worth seeing, and then only for a few scenes.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

SonicMan46

Quote from: Todd on March 06, 2021, 05:40:18 AM

Coming 2 America.  I made it through about half of the flick before turning it off.  It's just fucking awful.  Everything is rehashed and tired, and the digital effects - whether the scenics, the animals, or the grotesque digital de-aging - all suck.  Only the sight of Wesley Snipes as the military dictator of Nextdoria is worth seeing, and then only for a few scenes.

Thanks Todd for the comments - own the BD above of the original and enjoy (although my wife won't watch the film again) - so I'm sure she would hate the sequel - after your comments, don't believe that I'll plan to view the film - even though 'free' to me w/ Amazon Prime - for those considering, just looked at some of the usual rating places: 5.6/10, IMDB & 51% Rotten Tomatoes (both critics & audience); and a LOT of 1* reviews even on Amazon.  Dave :)

SimonNZ

An astonishing showcase of the cinematographers art. A miracle of highly individualistic photography.

And even leaving the agitprop/propaganda aspects of the film aside there are also many equally remarkable moments of historical reenactment and of a time and place captured in a moment of transition..

Highly recommended.

aligreto

Photograph

This is one of those films where nothing really happens yet it is still totally engaging, engrossing and compelling viewing. It centres around a man in India who works as a photographer in Mumbai sending all of his money home to his grandma in his village to pay off family debts. However, the grandma decides that she will find a wife for him in the village. Panicking, he asks a girl whose photograph he has taken to pose as his girlfriend in order to convince the grandma that he has already found someone. Naturally, the grandma decides to come to see this girl. It is all wonderfully done.

Madiel

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on March 01, 2021, 10:04:08 AM
The first one of the Department Q trilogy:  "The Keeper of Lost Causes".  Sat on the edge of my seat but enjoyed doing it.  :)

PD

Not a trilogy. There's 4 films so far.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Madiel

Most recently watched: Magic Mike.

There are a few nice bodies. Channing Tatum can dance. The plot is serviceable but it all kind of peters out at the end. It's no match in that respect for The Wrestler.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

DavidW

The Vigil, decent horror movie.  It is by the numbers but well done.

SonicMan46

Glory (1989) w/ Matthew Broderick, Denzel Washington, Morgan Freeman, & Cary Elwes - about the 54th Massachusetts black regimen commanded by the 25 y/o Bostonian, Colonel Robert Gould Shaw - about the July 18, 1863 battle to take Ft. Wagner on Morris Island protecting the town of Charleston, SC - the 4K/UHD version is just dazzling on our new video equipment (my old BD will go to a local charity).

Because of construction of jetties on Morris Island, the lighthouse is now in the ocean (see my pic below) and the locale of Ft. Wagner has long been washed away - the actual march to the fort was filmed on Jekyll Island (to the south in Georgia) which we saw from a dolphin cruise boat not too long ago on a visit there.  Dave :)

SimonNZ

I haven't read the book. Is it more for grown-ups than this film is? Is the metaphysical stuff more subtle, less heavy-handed?

André

I enjoyed the book more than the film (too disneyfied for my taste).

DavidW

Quote from: SimonNZ on March 07, 2021, 01:25:35 PM

I haven't read the book. Is it more for grown-ups than this film is? Is the metaphysical stuff more subtle, less heavy-handed?

I've read it.  It is pretty much the same.  I think if I recall the only thing lacking was the part in the book where he adopts all religions.  And there was a part where he meets another man in the fog.  But no the movie is a faithful adaptation, it didn't receive the Hollywood treatment.  If you didn't like the movie you wouldn't like the book.

aligreto

Jungle

This is the well worn story of the trip into the wilderness that inevitably goes wrong. However, this one is factually based. I felt that the film was OK. Anyway, when I looked up the true story it appears that one of the main protagonists was asked what he thought of the film. His response was interesting and I am paraphrasing his answer. He said something like Hollywood always tends to over dramatise events but in this case the reality was much more horrific. The film, he said, was just a fair reflection of the facts.

Stürmisch Bewegt

On Netflix: the tear-inducing story of two unlikely partners in the blues, Satan & Adam. Trailer here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYmby6hWKwE
Leben heißt nicht zu warten, bis der Sturm vorbeizieht, sondern lernen, im Regen zu tanzen.

SonicMan46

Beverly Hills Cop (1984) w/ Eddie Murphy, John Ashton, Judge Reinhold, Ronny Cox, and others - owned this film for many decades from DVD > BD > 4K - outstanding 2160p video transfer (see review HERE) - for sound, I wore headphones (wife not a fan of the film nor Murphy) and must say that I was hearing some extra channels vs. listening on my 2-speaker stereo (from the link - "the audio sounds like the same DTS-HD MA 5.1 mix from the previous release") - usually don't watch films w/ headphones but may try some more - I'm assuming that I was just hearing more w/ my ears covered.  If you have gotten into 4K yet and enjoy this film, then recommended.  Dave :)

drogulus

I'm about halfway through the documentary Apollo 11, which uses 65mm footage intended for a NASA doc that never happened. Now it's been scanned at ultra high resolution and then reduced to 4k! It's HDR, too.

https://www.youtube.com/v/uOp08ToyzlM&ab_channel=CNN
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

LKB

Quote from: drogulus on March 08, 2021, 07:15:25 PM
      I'm about halfway through the documentary Apollo 11, which uses 65mm footage intended for a NASA doc that never happened. Now it's been scanned at ultra high resolution and then reduced to 4k! It's HDR, too.

https://www.youtube.com/v/uOp08ToyzlM&ab_channel=CNN

I saw this in the theatre, and it's every bit as impressive on Blu-Ray.

And if Drogulus ( or anyone else ) should wish a more immersive Apollo experience, try:

https://apolloinrealtime.org/

8),

LKB
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

SonicMan46

Quote from: drogulus on March 08, 2021, 07:15:25 PM

Wife & I saw the documentary on the big screen on release - quite impressive, both visuals and sound!  But I never bought a 'version', so in exploring Amazon USA, there were 2 options, i.e. the 4K physical package for nearly $30 on the marketplace vs. the streaming 4K UHD choice for $14 - the 4K disc is certainly the better quality choice but for a film I'd watch a few more times, the streamer is the bargain - I'm assuming that you're watching this doc on the disc?  Dave :)

Madiel

Guardians of the Galaxy, which is easily one of the more entertaining movies in the Marvel franchise.

SimonNZ

pjme

François Ozon: Frantz

I like Ozon : " Huit femmes", "Swimming pool", "Ricky", "Potiche" , "Le temps qui reste"