Last Movie You Watched

Started by Drasko, April 06, 2007, 07:51:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SonicMan46

The Matrix (1999) w/ Keanu Reeves, Carrie Ann Moss, Laurence Fishburne, et al - a film that I've owned first on VHS tape > DVD > BD and now as a 4K Dolby Vision digital streamer - just bought from my Apple TV w/ a recent gift card (still have a few more to decide upon) - after watching this 4K enhanced version (outstanding review HERE), I likely will just donate my BD is my usual local charity.  Dave :)

P.S. click the image to enlarge and read the synopsis if not familiar w/ the story.

71 dB

Body Double (Brian De Palma, 1984) British INDICATOR Blu-ray (Region free)

As part of my journey to explore the movies of Brian De Palma I bought this for a pretty good price. I like Brian De Palma's directing. Good usage of camera movements/angles and lenses. Good visual storytelling. This movie has got a relatively good erotic murder mystery plot and is a bit Hitchcockian. Pino Donaggio's music is great, althou maybe too "classical/symphonic" rather than "cinematic" at times. "Relax" by Franky Goes to Hollywood is used nicely in this movies. Also, Tangerine Dream's "Love on a Real Train" from the 1983 movie "Risky Business" has clearly been an inspiration for Pino Donaggio or/and Brian De Palma. There are some moments (the beginning and the end) when this movie feels a bit silly/cartoonish, but otherwise I quite like it. This movie seemed strangely familiar, so I might have seen it in the past at least partly, probably while channel surffing, because only some scenes looked familiar.

Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on April 20, 2021, 03:09:50 AM
Ammonite - VG - recommended:

I've heard a number of good things about this movie.  Would like to see it when it comes out on DVD...or is it already?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Karl Henning

Quote from: SonicMan46 on April 18, 2021, 08:36:12 AM
Cotton Club (Encore) (1984/2019) w/ Richard Gere, Gregory Hines, Diane Lane, Lonette McKee, and so many others; FF Coppola, director - saw this film on release so many years ago; Coppola re-edited the film (taking out 13 mins and adding 24 mins) a few years ago; Susan wanted to see the movie, so bought on Amazon Prime in 4K/UHD for $10 (rental was $5) - kind of a 1920/30s gangster musical focusing on the historic Cotton Club in Harlem, NYC.  On release in the 80s, the film had mixed reviews and not well received - Coppola's restoration has changed the whole mood for me w/ much more emphasis on the black characters and the musical scenes, especially the fabulous tap dancing of the late Gregory Hines. Diane Lane and Lonette McKee (from Round Midnight) are also excellent; and Richard Gere played his own cornet scenes in the film.  Some reviews: Vanity Fair, Hi-Def Digest, Roger Ebert

The reviews above are all good to excellent for the 'new version' of Cotton Club - could have been even better but for myself, an improved production that I'll be watching again - if rating on Amazon, I would have given 3* for the 1984 release and now would up to 4* - recommended.  Dave :)

Just watched this; I readily remembered how greatly I enjoyed so much of the original release, so I was naturally keen to see Coppola's "do-over." Fabulous.  I guess that had been my first glance at both Nicolas Cage and Tom Waits, but I knew nothing of them then. Thanks for the prompt, Dave!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

SonicMan46

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on April 20, 2021, 05:15:23 PM
Just watched this; I readily remembered how greatly I enjoyed so much of the original release, so I was naturally keen to see Coppola's "do-over." Fabulous.  I guess that had been my first glance at both Nicolas Cage and Tom Waits, but I knew nothing of them then. Thanks for the prompt, Dave!

Welcome Karl - glad that you enjoyed the re-do!  Yes, all were quite young back 36+ years ago!  Where has the time gone?  Dave :)

Karl Henning

I might never have heard of Incubus, if not for its occasional mention in commentary on a couple of Outer Limits episodes.  Well worth a watch. Heck, worth owning, I think.

https://www.youtube.com/v/5iGhLN8qDiY
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

aligreto

Quote from: SonicMan46 on April 20, 2021, 09:05:19 AM
The Matrix (1999) w/ Keanu Reeves, Carrie Ann Moss, Laurence Fishburne, et al - a film that I've owned first on VHS tape > DVD > BD and now as a 4K Dolby Vision digital streamer - just bought from my Apple TV w/ a recent gift card (still have a few more to decide upon) - after watching this 4K enhanced version (outstanding review HERE), I likely will just donate my BD is my usual local charity.  Dave :)

P.S. click the image to enlarge and read the synopsis if not familiar w/ the story.

I have not watched that one in a long time. When I do so again, I wonder will I think that it held up well over the years?

Daverz

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on April 20, 2021, 07:34:08 PM
I might never have heard of Incubus, if not for its occasional mention in commentary on a couple of Outer Limits episodes.  Well worth a watch. Heck, worth owning, I think.

https://www.youtube.com/v/5iGhLN8qDiY

This is the film with dialogue all in Esperanto.

SonicMan46

Quote from: aligreto on April 21, 2021, 12:56:03 AM
I have not watched that one in a long time. When I do so again, I wonder will I think that it held up well over the years? Re: The Matrix

Hi Aligreto - well, as you may remember, when the characters 'escape' the matrix to return to Morpheus' ship, they need to find a phone, often a phone booth; well, those don't seem to exist anymore, so dated but now cute (as in one of the Superman movies) - I think the film was spectacular when released and I owned it on VHS tape years ago, and the new 4K version is just phenomenal - for an assessment of the 'aging of Matrix', check out THIS REVIEW - Dave :)

Karl Henning

Quote from: Daverz on April 21, 2021, 01:53:55 AM
This is the film with dialogue all in Esperanto.

That's right. I am grateful for the English subtitles. Might have been Shatner's greatest acting challenge.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

aligreto

Quote from: SonicMan46 on April 21, 2021, 06:43:07 AM
Hi Aligreto - well, as you may remember, when the characters 'escape' the matrix to return to Morpheus' ship, they need to find a phone, often a phone booth; well, those don't seem to exist anymore, so dated but now cute (as in one of the Superman movies) - I think the film was spectacular when released and I owned it on VHS tape years ago, and the new 4K version is just phenomenal - for an assessment of the 'aging of Matrix', check out THIS REVIEW - Dave :)

Cheers Dave. I had not thought of the phone situation BTW. It was a film that I really liked. I always felt that the trilogy was one of the great Romance/Love stories on film, actually.

SonicMan46

Quote from: aligreto on April 21, 2021, 07:01:29 AM
Cheers Dave. I had not thought of the phone situation BTW. It was a film that I really liked. I always felt that the trilogy was one of the great Romance/Love stories on film, actually.

Hi again Aligreto - I own only the first film, The Matrix - I did see the others on release but did not make a purchase, likely did not like them as much and probably will not revisit the sequels - interestingly, a 4th Matrix film is in production for a release this December, although I suspect the COVID pandemic has delayed or suspended its making, don't know?  Dave :)

QuoteThe first film was an important critical and commercial success, winning four Academy Awards, introducing popular culture symbols such as the red pill and blue pill, and influencing action filmmaking. For those reasons it has been added to the National Film Registry for preservation.[1] Its first sequel was also a commercial success, becoming the highest-grossing R-rated film in history, until it was surpassed by Deadpool in 2016. As of 2006, the franchise has generated $3 billion in revenue. A fourth Matrix film is in development for its December 22, 2021 release, with Lana Wachowski producing, co-writing and directing and Reeves and Moss reprising their roles.(Source)

aligreto

Quote from: SonicMan46 on April 21, 2021, 08:40:45 AM
Hi again Aligreto - I own only the first film, The Matrix - I did see the others on release but did not make a purchase, likely did not like them as much and probably will not revisit the sequels - interestingly, a 4th Matrix film is in production for a release this December, although I suspect the COVID pandemic has delayed or suspended its making, don't know?  Dave :)

Cheers, Dave  :)

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on April 21, 2021, 06:47:46 AM
That's right. I am grateful for the English subtitles. Might have been Shatner's greatest acting challenge.
I see that it had been lost in a French film vault for 35 years.  I wonder whether or not Mr. Shatner might have hoped that it would have stayed there?  :-\  ;) Could be fun to watch though.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Karl Henning

(* chortle *)

It plays and looks like an exceptionally good feature-length Outer Limits episode, PD, exquisitely shot by Conrad Hall.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

André

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on April 21, 2021, 10:36:50 AM
(* chortle *)

It plays and looks like an exceptionally good feature-length Outer Limits episode, PD, exquisitely shot by Conrad Hall.

Apart from a few naysayers, reviews on Amazon are very positive. It certainly looks like something very different from your usual sci-fi movie.

The Outer Limits was a great series, my brother and myself would watch it almost religiously - never mind that I was sometimes scared out of my wits  ::). I'm surprised our parents let us watch it  ;D.

George

Second time through this one.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

drogulus

Quote from: George on April 21, 2021, 11:16:36 AM

Second time through this one.

I should see this one again. If you like timelooper sci fi I recommend Predestination.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Madiel

Quote from: SonicMan46 on April 21, 2021, 08:40:45 AM

When I went to see the 3rd Matrix film at the cinema, part of the purpose was to establish whether I could buy the 1st one on DVD and try very hard to pretend the sequels never happened.

And that was the outcome. No.2 was not that great, but No.3 was frankly one of the most boring movies I'd ever sat through.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

milk

Hubba Hubba, Hoo-Ha, Yowza, Hubba Bubba, Blimey, Zoinks!!!!!!
This movie is hottt. It sizzles.