Last Movie You Watched

Started by Drasko, April 06, 2007, 07:51:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve ridgway

Quote from: Wanderer on May 15, 2021, 08:27:39 AM
It's the old "bad guy listening to classical music" Hollywood cliché.

Yes, but in particular Mahler was banned by the Nazis due to being Jewish. :-\

aligreto

The Commuter:

Quite a good action thriller and worth your time.

SonicMan46

Ronnie's (2020) - another purchase from the Winston-Salem Riverrun Film Festival (last day today - see my previous posts for details and potential ticket buys) - documentary about the tenor saxophonist Ronnie Scott and His Jazz Club - first opening in the Soho district of London in 1959, and still open after several changes in location and management - check link for the number of 'live' albums recorded there! If you're a jazz fan, then almost a MUST viewing - highly recommended.  Dave :)

André

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on April 20, 2021, 07:34:08 PM
I might never have heard of Incubus, if not for its occasional mention in commentary on a couple of Outer Limits episodes.  Well worth a watch. Heck, worth owning, I think.

https://www.youtube.com/v/5iGhLN8qDiY

Directed by Leslie Stevens (of Outer Limits fame), 1965.

My curiosity was aroused by you post Karl, so I watched it this weekend. Thankfully the french subtitles are much less intrusive than the english ones ;D. I understand why it's called a cult classic. Generally that accolade goes to flawed but particularly original, or groundbreaking films. I guess that's the case here, not just for its use of esperanto but also its very special camera work (Conrad Hall went on to win 2 Academy Awards in 1969 and 1999) and the über gothic story. Also the bizarre acting and false eyelashes from the ladies  ::). Shatner's acting is very natural - so much so in fact that he seems very much at odds with the rest of the cast, who all seem to have strayed from a 1930s Hollywood horror movie (I almost expected Bela Lugosi to make an apparition). Lest it sound like a recipe for disaster, it is not. There is a very distinct atmosphere that emanates from the story and the cunning use of natural settings, where the stark contrasts of light and shadow hark back to films from the Dreyer and early Bergman tradition. Superb underwater and water reflection shots. Yes, worth owning !

Karl Henning

Quote from: André on May 16, 2021, 04:38:30 PM

Directed by Leslie Stevens (of Outer Limits fame), 1965.

My curiosity was aroused by you post Karl, so I watched it this weekend. Thankfully the french subtitles are much less intrusive than the english ones ;D. I understand why it's called a cult classic. Generally that accolade goes to flawed but particularly original, or groundbreaking films. I guess that's the case here, not just for its use of esperanto but also its very special camera work (Conrad Hall went on to win 2 Academy Awards in 1969 and 1999) and the über gothic story. Also the bizarre acting and false eyelashes from the ladies  ::). Shatner's acting is very natural - so much so in fact that he seems very much at odds with the rest of the cast, who all seem to have strayed from a 1930s Hollywood horror movie (I almost expected Bela Lugosi to make an apparition). Lest it sound like a recipe for disaster, it is not. There is a very distinct atmosphere that emanates from the story and the cunning use of natural settings, where the stark contrasts of light and shadow hark back to films from the Dreyer and early Bergman tradition. Superb underwater and water reflection shots. Yes, worth owning !

Delighted that you, too, find it worthwhile!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Thread Duty: My Fair Lady
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

George

From the Essential box set on Bluray.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

aligreto

The Hunter's Prayer

There is nothing extraordinary in this crime thriller but I did enjoy it nonetheless.

SonicMan46

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 16, 2021, 07:37:22 PM
Thread Duty: My Fair Lady

Karl - the 4K version will be on Amazon May 25 - review HERE, plus I have awards money just waiting to be used for such an occasion!  8) Dave

Madiel

Quote from: aligreto on May 17, 2021, 02:29:08 AM
The Hunter's Prayer

There is nothing extraordinary in this crime thriller but I did enjoy it nonetheless.

So long as I get to stare at Sam Worthington a lot, I'm interested...
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

milk

Watched this for the second time (with my wife this time). What can I say? It's violent, but it's a darn good time. 

SimonNZ

aligreto

A Star is Born

This is the third iteration that I have seen of this story. The first was with Judy Garland, the second was with Kristofferson/Streisand and now this one with Cooper/Gaga. I am told that there was a fourth version but I do not know it. Anyway, this is the first time that I have seen this particular version and I thought this was by far the best one that I have seen. Gaga was very good but, for me, Cooper was the real star and he was excellent.

SonicMan46

Quote from: aligreto on May 19, 2021, 01:35:33 AM
A Star is Born

This is the third iteration that I have seen of this story. The first was with Judy Garland, the second was with Kristofferson/Streisand and now this one with Cooper/Gaga. I am told that there was a fourth version but I do not know it. Anyway, this is the first time that I have seen this particular version and I thought this was by far the best one that I have seen. Gaga was very good but, for me, Cooper was the real star and he was excellent.

Hi Fergus, the earlier version of the film is from 1937 w/ Janet Gaynor and Fredric March - my favorite version remains the one with Judy Garland mainly because it was a 'vehicle' for her many talents rather than a more 'integrated' story (BUT, I'm a big Judy fan!) - I've seen the Gaga & Cooper remake just once and was impressed with both stars - indeed, I might rank it 'second' in my mind and may want to see it again?  The very worst for me was w/ Kristofferson & Streisand, such talented musicians to have made that DUD!  Dave :)

SonicMan46

Schindler's List (1993) w/ Liam Neeson, Ben Kingsley, Ralph Fiennes, Embeth Davidtz, and others; Steven Spielberg, Director; nominated for 12 Oscars, and winner of 7 including 'Best Picture' - this is a powerful heart wrenching portrayal of the Nazi Holocaust - I purchased the 4K version (includes 3 discs + a digital copy) because the reviews HERE were so superlative (see first pic below and check the link, if a consideration for you, i.e. need the hardware) - this version is a transforming experience - the package just cost me $8 USD w/ some rewards cash on Amazon - WHAT a deal - most highly recommended, but if you have not seen this film, be prepared for an emotional shocker!  Dave :)

Mirror Image

Watched this documentary several nights ago:

Here is my review of this film originally posted via Amazon:

I bought this documentary based on some reviews here (and elsewhere), but I actually find this one of most empty films I've seen on a composer in terms of content. One of the commentators mentioned that the way to understand Strauss is through his employment of the soprano voice throughout his oeuvre, but I say this is nonsense. The way into understanding Strauss' music is of course the most obvious: listening, but also trying to understand the man behind the music. This film does nothing in the way of bringing new facts about the composer to our attention or make compelling assertions about his life that give us pause for further reflection. No, what you get here is a poorly, slapped together mess, which, to me, is nothing in the world but mini-interviews with well-known sopranos who have sung his music through the years: Christa Ludwig, Gwyneth Jones, Brigitte Fassbaender, Renée Fleming et. al. No interesting information on the composer's life were brought to the forefront. Lots and lots of video excerpts of various operas. I'd the say the best thing about this film is its trailer. If you're a Straussian like I am, then consider this review a warning: this documentary will not give you any new insights into his music or life.

aligreto

Quote from: SonicMan46 on May 19, 2021, 01:26:04 PM

Hi Fergus, the earlier version of the film is from 1937 w/ Janet Gaynor and Fredric March - my favorite version remains the one with Judy Garland mainly because it was a 'vehicle' for her many talents rather than a more 'integrated' story (BUT, I'm a big Judy fan!) - I've seen the Gaga & Cooper remake just once and was impressed with both stars - indeed, I might rank it 'second' in my mind and may want to see it again?  The very worst for me was w/ Kristofferson & Streisand, such talented musicians to have made that DUD!  Dave :)

Cheers Dave,

I suspected that you might have come up trumps here and I was not disappointed.  ;)
Thank you for that; much appreciated.  :)

milk

aligreto

I Care A Lot

This was a good film about a scam concerning retirement homes for the elderly and how the main protagonist swindles money from her clients. One transaction unexpectedly does not quite go to plan.

aligreto

Quote from: milk on May 21, 2021, 07:01:52 AM

Marvelous!

Not the first time that I have seen that one recommended. I have not seen it yet.