Last Movie You Watched

Started by Drasko, April 06, 2007, 07:51:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iota

Hmm, if it had not been for the stellar turn from Oldman as Winston, I'm not sure how much I would have got from this film. Not that it's bad and it does look nice, as well as make some interesting setting of contexts (albeit with liberties with historical accuracy), but apart from Oldman, to me it felt rather undistinguished.

Madiel

Quote from: aligreto on July 21, 2021, 04:40:39 AM
I have not. Is it based on this film?

Let's just say it is very heavily based on the tone and aesthetics of the film. The plot details might differ from season to season, but the general idea is the same - criminals who are not masterminds, bad planning, miscommunication, quirky characters etc etc.

Each season is a completely separate story, through there are little linkages to indicate they are all inhabiting the same universe.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

VonStupp

The Ipcress File (1965)

I had never watched this Michael Caine film previously. It is a great espionage yarn, but with more office antics and conspiracy threads, and very artsy camera shots. The John Barry score, with its cimbalom tune, is ever reminiscent of James Bond's guitar motive.

It looks like I have a number of sequels to catch up on too.

"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Iota

Quote from: Papy Oli on July 11, 2021, 02:55:17 AM
A few days back :

This was pure fun, predictable in many ways yes, but we did enjoy it immensely, it drew us in, with some proper laughs along the way.

Spotted a couple of hidden references to unmentioned Beatles songs, worthy of another watch another time to find some more.

Agree great fun, and very funny at times. I thought the ending could have been a *touch* less fairytale maybe, to complement the bittersweet nature of the film. Thought all the leads played their parts well, and I loved his Beatles covers!

Imagine a composer waking up and finding nobody had ever heard of Bach e.g, then started churning out his masterpieces! I imagine he'd just get called a charlatan for coming up with irrelevant, derivative rubbish or something. Strange thought.

SimonNZ

Fifth or sixth viewing. A perfect gem of a film.

SimonNZ

Madiel

Persona non Grata

Best thing I've seen at the Scandinavian Film Festival so far. A comedy-drama about a woman who hated her country childhood going back home for a family wedding.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Florestan

Interesting for two reasons: the gorgeously sombre Faroe landscape and the opportunity to learn some Danish words and phrases. Otherwise, mediocre.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Papy Oli on July 11, 2021, 02:55:17 AM
A few days back :

---we did enjoy it immensely, it drew us in, with some proper laughs along the way.

Hey Dude ...don't make it bad.
Take a sad song and make it better. ;D

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Papy Oli

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on July 25, 2021, 08:49:29 AM
Hey Dude ...don't make it bad.
Take a sad song and make it better. ;D

Sarge

Nice one, Sarge !
:laugh:

Olivier

SonicMan46

Black Widow (2021) w/ the stars in the quote below; 24th continuation of the Marvel films distributed by the Disney Studios - now playing in theaters, but also put on Disney+ so I could stream from home (on my son's Disney account) - over the years I've stream most of these Marvel comics films and am not a big fan, fast-action CGI blow em up and killed anybody in sight!  :laugh:  However, this one seems to have gleamed some better reviews, e.g. 81% from the critics on RottenTomatoes (92% audience rating) - I don't own any of these movies nor plan to rewatch them - stream this one on my new 50" 4K HDTV and looked good!  Only recommended to die-hard Marvel Cinematic Universe fans, which I'm sure we have some here?  Dave :)

QuoteBlack Widow is a 2021 American superhero film based on Marvel Comics featuring the character of the same name. Produced by Marvel Studios and distributed by Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures, it is the 24th film in the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU). The film was directed by Cate Shortland from a screenplay by Eric Pearson, and stars Scarlett Johansson as Natasha Romanoff / Black Widow alongside Florence Pugh, David Harbour, O-T Fagbenle, Olga Kurylenko, William Hurt, Ray Winstone, and Rachel Weisz. Set immediately after the events of Captain America: Civil War (2016), the film sees Romanoff on the run and forced to confront a conspiracy tied to her past. (Source)

DavidW

Quote from: SimonNZ on July 24, 2021, 05:04:00 PM

as good as promised

That was actually surprisingly upbeat.  That is my movie of the year.

SonicMan46

Quote from: DavidW on July 25, 2021, 11:54:13 AM

David - we enjoyed the film which won many awards, including Oscars for Best Picture and Actress!  Dave  :)

71 dB

I have been rewatching "James Wan/Leigh Whannel" horror on Blu-ray in July:

The Conjuring
The Conjuring 2
Annabelle
Annabelle: Creation
Annabelle Comes Home
Lights Out
Insidious
Insidious Chapter 2
Insidious Chapter 3
Insidious: The Last Key
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

SimonNZ

Huh. Somehow I was unaware it got the best picture Oscar. Surprising they'd give it to something so understated and languid. And to something that goes out of its way to avoid many popular storytelling cliches (for example the bit with the dog made for an interesting conversation after the film).

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: DavidW on July 25, 2021, 11:54:13 AM
Thanks for reminding me about that movie; will see if I can get it through my library.  :)

Recently stumbled across a broadcast of "Back to the Future".  I had forgotten how fun that movie was!  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Karl Henning

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on July 26, 2021, 03:27:17 AM
Thanks for reminding me about that movie; will see if I can get it through my library.  :)

Recently stumbled across a broadcast of "Back to the Future".  I had forgotten how fun that movie was!  :)

PD

Heavy!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

The new erato

As Good As It Gets. Fabulous performance by Nicholson.

The new erato

Quote from: Papy Oli on July 25, 2021, 10:24:59 AM
Nice one, Sarge !
:laugh:
Absolutely great, nostalgic movie. I have seen it twice, often with a lump in my throat.