Last Movie You Watched

Started by Drasko, April 06, 2007, 07:51:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

milk

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on September 10, 2021, 12:37:56 PM

I love Yang. I don't know why I've never clicked with Bergman, though I've never tried this particular film.

George

Quote from: milk on September 11, 2021, 05:04:30 AM
I love Yang. I don't know why I've never clicked with Bergman, though I've never tried this particular film.

Have you tried Winter Light? That is my favorite Bergman film.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

VonStupp

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on September 10, 2021, 05:08:49 PM
Flash Gordon ... another I hadn't seen since the year it opened

What an odd collection of actors, and what a strange cinema artifact, not to mention the soundtrack by Queen... A curious vestige of its time that holds a secret inner delight for me.

"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

SonicMan46

Come From Away - not really a movie, but a Tony winning Broadway musical just starting to air on Apple TV+ - brief synopsis below but much more at the link for those interested - Susan really enjoyed the show; I was less enthusiastic but thought well done and so appropriate since today is 9/11, twenty years later!  Dave :)

QuoteWith an original book, music and lyrics by Tony and Grammy nominees  Irene Sankoff and David Hein,  Come From Away tells the story of 7,000 people stranded in the small town of Gander, Newfoundland after all flights into the U.S. are grounded on Sept. 11, 2001. (Source)

Karl Henning

Quote from: VonStupp on September 11, 2021, 07:43:14 AM
What an odd collection of actors, and what a strange cinema artifact, not to mention the soundtrack by Queen... A curious vestige of its time that holds a secret inner delight for me.

Leaving the cinema, I was walking a line between simply having enjoyed it, and conceding some of the objections I heard. I've subsequently concluded that I can simply enjoy it on its own terms
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

VonStupp

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on September 11, 2021, 08:30:56 AM
Leaving the cinema, I was walking a line between simply having enjoyed it, and conceding some of the objections I heard. I've subsequently concluded that I can simply enjoy it on its own terms

It must have been something in the theatre. I saw a blu-ray of it a number of years ago, and it looked great, even if the spectacle was never convincing.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: milk on September 11, 2021, 05:04:30 AM

I need to see more of Yang's films, embarrassed that Yi-Yi was the only one I've seen of his, and I even saw it when it was released 20 years ago.
Yi-Yi is a masterpiece that consistently reduces me to tears, it's one of the most beautiful, and simple portrayals of a family. It's not that Yi-Yi is sad, but the events, conflicts, and emotions that are displayed are so true to life that its easy to have sympathy for the characters.

Quote from: George on September 11, 2021, 07:35:02 AM

Nice, George, Winter Light is in my que, along with a few other Bergman titles I haven't seen.

vers la flamme

I believe that was also Bergman's favorite of his works. Anyway, yes, quite a perfect film.

George

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on September 11, 2021, 09:09:19 AM
Nice, George, Winter Light is in my que, along with a few other Bergman titles I haven't seen.

:)

George

Quote from: vers la flamme on September 11, 2021, 09:28:52 AM
I believe that was also Bergman's favorite of his works. Anyway, yes, quite a perfect film.

Wow, I hadn't heard that. Thanks for the info.

As sit happens, I have been working through the big Bluray set and Winter Light is up next!

Iota

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on September 10, 2021, 12:37:56 PM
Just watched the trailer for this, looks fascinating. Thanks for posting, Iota..

You're welcome. Hope you get to it sometime and get anything like the pleasure I did from it.

SimonNZ

Fans of Bergmans Winter Light should be sure to see Paul Schraders First Reformed which borrows heavily and pays homage to that film.

TD:

Second Viewing. Its high time they made a follow up to this, detailing what they've since found as they've developed and assessed more of the collection.

milk

OK. I'll put it on my list.

milk

This was pretty good entertainment. Nothing mind-blowing but well-made and a good performance. I like these disaster type movies anyway. Man against nature, etc.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: milk on September 12, 2021, 06:55:02 AM

This was pretty good entertainment. Nothing mind-blowing but well-made and a good performance. I like these disaster type movies anyway. Man against nature, etc.
Thank you for reminding me of that movie.  I've been wanting to watch it.

From what I recall, he said that it was the last movie that he was ever going to be in too.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

DavidW

I watched Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings.  Good movie, awesome martial arts and humor in the first half.  Overly melodramatic and too much cgi in the second half.  First part was great and not so formulaic Marvel.  Second half was okay.  So overall good movie.  I saw it in a nearly empty movie theater.  RIP.

Also saw the latest James Wan movie, Malignant.  It feels like a straight to vhs from the 90s horror movie.  In other words I liked it! :laugh:  Not so much his usual jump scares.  And leans into the campy.  Obviously not for everyone or even most people.

VonStupp

Quote from: milk on September 12, 2021, 06:55:02 AM

A very quiet movie too. The absence of much spoken dialog adds an unnerving quality to his ongoing dilemmas.

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on September 12, 2021, 07:06:01 AM
Thank you for reminding me of that movie.  I've been wanting to watch it.

From what I recall, he said that it was the last movie that he was ever going to be in too.

PD

A fitting enough tribute if he does decide it is his last.

VS

George

Really enjoyed my 4th or 5th viewing of this great film last night with my girlfriend. I love the simplicity of the story, the depth and impact of emotion in this film. Such a honest and direct examination of faith and suffering.   

Todd

Kate.  Something fresh from Netflix!  Well, not really fresh.  Obi-Wan Kenobi's gal stars as a trained-since-childhood assassin taking on the Yakuza in Japan.  Maybe any pseudo-freshness comes in the form of the plot device where the title character gets poisoned with polonium and therefore has a short time to do her thing.  Any freshness certainly does not come in the form of Woody Harrelson cashing a paycheck.  There's much violence and frantic camerawork, and so forth.  I made it through about half of it before turning it off. 
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

SonicMan46

Amistad (1997) w/ Morgan Freeman, Anthony Hopkins, Djimon Hounsou, and Matthew McConaughey; Steven Spielberg, director - docudrama based on a real event - summary synopsis below - historical inaccuracy is an apparent issue and is discussed in the link, but the event did occur and the film is enjoyable, i.e. I'm one for historic dramas (Susan was less enthralled but a BIG Hopkins fan).  Up for many awards, mostly Hopkins for 'Best Supporting Actor', which he won as the Critics' Choice Movie Award - highly recommended if the story appeals.  Dave :)

QuoteAmistad is a 1997 American historical drama film directed by Steven Spielberg, based on the events in 1839 aboard the Spanish slave ship La Amistad, during which Mende tribesmen abducted for the slave trade managed to gain control of their captors' ship off the coast of Cuba, and the international legal battle that followed their capture by the Washington, a U.S. revenue cutter. The case was ultimately resolved by the U.S. Supreme Court in 1841. (Source)