Last Movie You Watched

Started by Drasko, April 06, 2007, 07:51:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Quote from: John Copeland on September 27, 2021, 12:11:30 PM
Recently watched "The Day After Tomorrow" made circa.2004.  Nice that they made and environmentally conscious movie in 2004.  Nice too that it had a setting in Scotland.  Shame it was the biggest load of tosh I've watched in years.   :o   Truly awful.  However, I watched "The Killing Fields" made 20 years earlier, a harrowing movie about the Khmer Rouge, but a truly brilliant movie in every respect.  Had me in tears.  Movie making at it's best.

If you've not yet seen Spaulding Gray's Swimming to Cambodia, you're in for a treat!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: John Copeland on September 27, 2021, 12:11:30 PM
...However, I watched "The Killing Fields" made 20 years earlier, a harrowing movie about the Khmer Rouge, but a truly brilliant movie in every respect.  Had me in tears.  Movie making at it's best.
That was a great movie!  Like you and LKB, I remember being horrified and upset by what I was watching.

Quote from: LKB on September 27, 2021, 12:44:50 PM
I remember being appalled by The Killing Fields in the theater decades ago. And if memory serves, the Cambodian actor who won an Academy award for his performance was murdered years later...

Yup. I don't often resort to Wikipedia, but this time it felt appropriate:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haing_S._Ngor

So very sorry to hear that he was murdered--particularly after all that he went through!   :'(

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

SonicMan46

The Big Easy (1987) w/ Dennis Quaid, Ellen Barkin, John Goodman, and Ned Beatty - set and filmed in New Orleans and described as a 'neo-noir' romantic thriller (Source) - I've been watching this film since VHS days (no BD in the USA to my knowledge) - love NOLA and have been there at least a dozen times; the history, music, food, atmosphere, etc. is just unique - Barkin and Quaid have great chemistry together.  I thought Quiad's accent was good but from the link "the film is praised for the accuracy of Quaid's Cajun accent, which he meticulously researched in preparation for the role. However, residents of the New Orleans area were not so pleased, referring to it as "cringe-inducing." - don't agree but not a native - recommended!

Muhammad Ali (2021) - documentary film by Ken Burns on the legendary boxer - now streaming on our local PBS station; 4 episodes of about 2 hrs each - we've now seen three; as expected from Burns, well done w/ plenty of fight scenes - this is a MUST SEE if you're a boxing and Ali fan; Susan hates boxing but is enjoying the 'film', plenty of non-boxing discussion, especially regarding his religious beliefs.  Dave :)

SonicMan46

Band Wagon, The (1953) w/ Fred Astaire, Cyd Charisse, Jack Buchanan, Nanette Fabray, and Oscar Levant; Vincente Minnelli, director - from the BD box of the four musicals shown; on the AFI 'Best Musicals' LIST below as number 17 (amazing that I own 21 of those top 25 films) - actually, I would rank this film higher w/ the dance duo of Fred and Jack and the Triplets scene (Triplets) several of the many highlights for me; up for 3 Oscars (no wins) - highly recommended if a fan of old MGM musicals.  Dave :)

aligreto

Despite the Falling Snow

The basic premise of the story was a good one but I felt that the execution of it was poor given the quality of the actors that were on hand.

VonStupp

Lifeforce (1985)

Lifeforce is based on a novel called The Space Vampires and that pretty well sums up anything your mind could conjure up about this movie.

A fun turn from Patrick Stewart and a score from Henry Mancini are highlights, but this movie is better than it has any right to be. The puppetry of the desiccated humans are a sight to see!

Cannon Films (Golan/Globus) are infamous for their B-level knockoff action/adventures, and I have a soft spot for them - those such as Cobra, Masters of the Universe, River of Death, King Solomon's Mines, and lest I forget, Superman 4: The Quest for Peace. Death Wish, Missing in Action, and Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo are equally infamous.

Lifeforce is pretty big budget comparatively, and you can tell. Tobe Hooper from Chainsaw Massacre fame, directs.

"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

drogulus

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

DavidW

Evil Dead 2: Dead by Dawn.  Had not seen it in a million years.  I remembered the evil hand, but I also thought he had an Evil Ash doppleganger but that was not in the movie!  Anyway lots of fun.  I think I'll rewatch Army of Darkness soon.

VonStupp

Quote from: DavidW on October 02, 2021, 08:05:28 AM
Evil Dead 2: Dead by Dawn.  Had not seen it in a million years.  I remembered the evil hand, but I also thought he had an Evil Ash doppelgänger but that was not in the movie!  Anyway lots of fun.  I think I'll rewatch Army of Darkness soon.

The last two of that trilogy are scads of fun for sure! The first is a tad disturbing...

VS

George

Help

Jodie Comer plays a home care worker in a nursing home. Then Covid strikes. The film makes strong political points at the end, but to me, the real story was between Comer's character and one of her patients. Not the greatest film, by any means, but emotionally moving.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Karl Henning

Quote from: VonStupp on October 02, 2021, 08:10:42 AM
The last two of that trilogy are scads of fun for sure! The first is a tad disturbing...

VS

I wonder if that's the one I once saw ....
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 02, 2021, 09:31:15 AM
I wonder if that's the one I once saw ....

No, it was a different Sam Raimi title entirely: Drag Me to Hell.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

VonStupp

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 02, 2021, 09:43:16 AM
No, it was a different Sam Raimi title entirely: Drag Me to Hell.

If, pardon the expression, plant rape doesn't sound familiar, then you haven't seen the first Evil Dead (1981). I don't even visit it anymore, but continue to enjoy 2 & 3 for their goofiness.

VS

Karl Henning

Quote from: VonStupp on October 02, 2021, 09:56:25 AM
If, pardon the expression, plant rape doesn't sound familiar, then you haven't seen the first Evil Dead (1981). I don't even visit it anymore, but continue to enjoy 2 & 3 for their goofiness.

VS

Wondering if I had seen it, I watched the Evil Dead trailer on Youtube just before my 2nd post. I don't believe I'll watch the feature.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Mirror Image

Watched several nights ago:

[asin]B077ZCTV9V[/asin]

This is still a hugely enjoyable film for me. It's such a shame that Henson passed away at young age (53). There's no telling what else he would've done.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 02, 2021, 10:46:33 AM

[asin]B077ZCTV9V[/asin]

This is still a hugely enjoyable film for me. It's such a shame that Henson passed away at young age (53). There's no telling what else he would've done.

What movie? The image doesn't show ....
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

VonStupp

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 02, 2021, 10:46:33 AM

[asin]B077ZCTV9V[/asin]

Nice! My wife quotes Ogra(?) from time to time. I like how edgy Jim Henson was too!

Mirror Image

Karl Henning

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 02, 2021, 11:57:23 AM
Sorry, Karl. It's The Dark Crystal.

No worries, John! And, thanks, George! That's the movie I had expected. I remember enjoying it very much in the cinema.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA