The Back Room > The Diner

Last Movie You Watched

<< < (6451/6503) > >>

SonicMan46:
Bottle Shock (2008) w/ Alan Rickman as Steven Spurrier (English wine merchant based in Paris) who initiated the event - synopsis below from the movie's Wiki article - script disputed by the real Spurrier himself and the film did receive mixed reviews - the real story HERE w/ a list of the California & French reds and whites tasted along w/ their 'blind tasting' scores - the 1973 Ch. Montelena (chardonnay) and 1973 Stag's Leap Wine Cellar (cabernet sauvignon) came out on TOP!  Those results cannot be disrupted.  At the bottom are a chart of the wines in the competition; plus, in my wine book collection, is a 2006 book on the 'Judgment of Parks' for those interested.  I had the DVD of the film, but bought Amazon's HD streamer which was beautiful on my 4K HDTV but would certainly work fine on a 1080p device.  Although the film may have critics and faults, wife and I have enjoyed and watched it probably 4-5 times - highly recommended to those interested in the topic who have not seen the movie.  Dave :)

--- Quote ---Bottle Shock is a 2008 American comedy-drama film based on the 1976 wine competition termed the "Judgment of Paris", when California wine defeated French wine in a blind taste test. It stars Alan Rickman, Chris Pine, and Bill Pullman and is directed by Randall Miller, who wrote the screenplay along with Jody Savin and Ross Schwartz. (Source)
--- End quote ---

k a rl h e nn i ng:
Paths of Glory

LKB:

--- Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on November 30, 2021, 07:32:13 PM ---Paths of Glory

--- End quote ---

Must be Kubrick in the air, a good thing.  8)

milk:
A masterpiece. There is no one like Altman today. His movies are like finely painted wooden boxes with handmade hinges. I just marvel at the touch. Movies don't have touch anymore. Everyone wants slickness or the studios do. Or maybe things are just made for too big of an audience. Maybe the independent cinema is long gone. But Altman was a singular voice and this film is great and very satisfying. Gould is the 70s noire detective; there are also no stars quite like Gould anymore either.
This movie is so funny and entertaining and interesting as well. It has great character actors too. It's a treat.

k a rl h e nn i ng:

--- Quote from: LKB on November 30, 2021, 10:39:29 PM ---Must be Kubrick in the air, a good thing.  8)

--- End quote ---

Indeed. First I watched this one, too!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version