The Back Room > The Diner

Last Movie You Watched

<< < (6507/6589) > >>

VonStupp:
The World According to Garp (1982)
Robin Williams, Glenn Close
John Lithgow, Mary Beth Hurt

A bit of an emotional roller coaster, and oddly broken into up-and-down dramedy vignettes. I have never read John Irving's source material.

While this is RW's film, Glenn Close as the emotionally shut-off mother who walks backwards into leading a feminist movement, John Lithgow as a sincerely portrayed, transgender ex-pro football player, and Mary Beth Hurt as Williams' wife, make the film.

A fun appearance by Jessica Tandy and Hume Cronyn too!

VS

drogulus:

--- Quote from: milk on January 19, 2022, 04:57:39 AM ---
I'm on Episode 5 (of 6 on Amazon). I never liked the Dead but this is fascinating. They're perhaps the only band that stuck to ideals, at least most of the way through, that set up a way of existing that countered music marketing and money-making generally.
I don't get the music, don't understand it. But I do appreciate them for what they were and for being the only ones. It's interesting because I simply do not find them interesting musically. Anyway, this doc is recommended. 

--- End quote ---

I think my favorite song is Born Cross-Eyed. Listen at your peril. They actually played this live back in '68, kind of a shambles with all due respect, but as with the talking dog, the mere fact......

aligreto:
Constantine:

I watched this film because I like both Reeves and Weisz. It was, in truth, nothing special however.

k a rl h e nn i ng:

--- Quote from: VonStupp on January 23, 2022, 07:59:47 AM ---The World According to Garp (1982)
Robin Williams, Glenn Close
John Lithgow, Mary Beth Hurt

A bit of an emotional roller coaster, and oddly broken into up-and-down dramedy vignettes. I have never read John Irving's source material.

While this is RW's film, Glenn Close as the emotionally shut-off mother who walks backwards into leading a feminist movement, John Lithgow as a sincerely portrayed, transgender ex-pro football player, and Mary Beth Hurt as Williams' wife, make the film.

A fun appearance by Jessica Tandy and Hume Cronyn too!

VS

--- End quote ---

Remember loving that in the cinema. Tried reading the novel, don't believe I finished it.

k a rl h e nn i ng:
TD: re-watched Mankiewicz' Cleopatra last night, and a fascinating documentary, Cleopatra: the Film That Changed Hollywood

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version