The Back Room > The Diner

Last Movie You Watched

<< < (6512/6644) > >>

Todd:

Being the Ricardos.  Tried watching the flick, set during a pivotal week when Lucy's commie past and pregnancy generate existential angst, or something, all delivered with language that Aaron Sorkin pretends may have been used in the 50s.  The film looks good, and the actors are all game, but after maybe forty-five minutes the whole thing seems pointless.  This would have been striking stuff maybe sixty years ago, or maybe even twenty, when people who still cared about 50s sitcoms were still alive.

VonStupp:
Continuing my Robin Williams odyssey:

The Survivors (1983)
Robin Williams, Walter Matthau, Jerry Reed

RW becomes a backwoods survivalist after being robbed at gunpoint by hitman Jerry Reed. Walter Matthau ends up in the middle, and continues to be a treasure despite this rather uneven comedy.

Moscow on the Hudson(1984)
Robin Williams, Maria Conchita Alonzo, Cleavant Derricks
Alejandro Rey, Elya Baskin, Yakov Smirnoff

More drama than comedy, and a nice turn from RW as a defecting Soviet saxophonist, even if the film is too long.

k a rl h e nn i ng:
Last night: The Longest Day, which I started rather late in my day, so that it was 2 AM by the time I hit the hay, but it is marvelous, and I had to watch through to the end. (My own day, after all, was not nearly so long)

SonicMan46:

--- Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on January 30, 2022, 10:35:59 AM ---Last night: The Longest Day, which I started rather late in my day, so that it was 2 AM by the time I hit the hay, but it is marvelous, and I had to watch through to the end. (My own day, after all, was not nearly so long)

--- End quote ---

Great film, but I've been splitting those 3+ hour productions into two nights -  :laugh:  Actually, I'm waiting for a 4K release - now have the BD below (reviewed HERE), but did not pay the price shown (looking back on my Amazon orders - cost me $17 USD in 2012).  Dave :)

P.S. those BD ratings are excellent - a 4K release is going to have to have a spectacular review and decent price for me to 'buy in'?

SonicMan46:
Well, what to do in COVID isolation?  Buy some more video upgrades for my 4K HDTV -  :laugh:

Two new Amazon streaming upgrades: 1) Enemy Mine, DVD > HD (BD equivalent); and 2) Men in Black, BD > 4K UHD

Enemy Mine (1985) w/ Dennis Quaid and Lou Gossett, Jr - short synopsis below - sci fi favorite of mine but not well received on RottenTomatoes (60%); Roger Ebert review also somewhat critical w/ a 2 1/2*/4* rating; but as usual, loved by the Amazonians, 4.7/5 - I'd probably do a 4*/5* rating there - if interested, look at the links and decide.

Men in Black (1997) w/ Tommy Lee Jones and Will Smith - short summary below - funny film (even wife was laughing!) - much better received by RottenTomatoes and Roger Ebert (3*/4*); the Men in Black Franchise has released a number of films - I've seen them all but have only purchased to original one. Highly recommended.  Dave :)

--- Quote ---Enemy Mine is a 1985 American science fiction action drama film directed by Wolfgang Petersen and written by Edward Khmara. The film stars Dennis Quaid and Louis Gossett, Jr. as a human and alien soldier, respectively, who become stranded together on an inhospitable planet and must overcome their mutual distrust in order to cooperate and survive. (Source)
--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---Men in Black is a 1997 American science fiction action comedy film directed by Barry Sonnenfeld, produced by Walter F. Parkes and Laurie MacDonald and written by Ed Solomon. Loosely based on the Men in Black comic book series, the film stars Tommy Lee Jones and Will Smith as two agents of a secret organization called the Men in Black, who supervise extraterrestrial lifeforms who live on Earth and hide their existence from ordinary humans. The film featured the creature effects and makeup of Rick Baker and visual effects by Industrial Light & Magic. (Source)
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version