The Back Room > The Diner

Last Movie You Watched

<< < (6513/6673) > >>

aligreto:
Geostorm:

This film is a political thriller bound up in a web of weather and space science. I found it to be entertaining enough.

André:
Kon Ichikawa’s An Actor’s Revenge, (1963) - a tale of the bizarre, where kabuki theater mixes with virtuosic camera shots to the strains of hollywoodian lounge music.

Damnation (1988). Another bizarrerie, the first film of a trilogy by maverick hungarian director Bela Tarr (the others are Satantango and the splendid Werckmeister Harmonies). Tarr explores the despair of individuals in the confines of a locked in, end-of-regime communist country just before the fall of the Berlin Wall.

Madiel:

--- Quote from: André on February 01, 2022, 07:46:56 PM ---Tarr explores the despair of individuals in the confines of a locked in, end-of-regime communist country just before the fall of the Berlin Wall.

--- End quote ---

Presumably this is your commentary, not the film-maker's intent/the plot, unless you're suggesting he successfully predicted the fall of the Berlin Wall was coming.

aligreto:
I Don’t Feel At Home In This World Anymore:

It all starts with a break in to the home of a docile and demure female living alone. She gets no help from the local police so she decides to take things into her own hands. Events take a downward spiral from there but her strength of character certainly improves. This is a bit of a quirky but very enjoyable film. The film was a winner at Sundance which is always a recommendation for me. I did enjoy it.

ritter:
Haven't watched it yet, but a bound to do so soon, as I've just learned that Monica Vitti has died today (aged 90) in Rome. So, which of the five Antonioni films she worked in will it be? Or shall I watch the OTT Modesty Blaise, directed by Joseph Losey? Or Dramma della gelosia (The Pizza Triangle), by Ettore Scola? What a great and versatile actress she was!

What I can say is that she appears (in a supporting role) in the movie hat probably has had the strongest impact on me of all those I have seen, Antonioni's La Notte (with Marcello Mastroianni and Jeanne Moreau). I had never thought the film could be such a strong medium for artistic expression until I saw this masterpiece. The still above is from that movie.

R.I.P. Monica Vitti.  :(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version