The Back Room > The Diner

Last Movie You Watched

<< < (6593/6644) > >>

k a rl h e nn i ng:
Star Trek, the Motion Picture (Director's cut) on the big screen. This I found great fun. I cannot even hazard a guess as to whatever quarrel I .thought I had with the movie back when I first saw it (at college.)

k a rl h e nn i ng:
Anything Else. Of the last six Woody Allen pictures I've seen, this is easily the runt of the litter. But as with all great artists, even when he's just riffing, the result id engaging entertainment.

DavidW:

--- Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 22, 2022, 05:14:15 PM ---Star Trek, the Motion Picture (Director's cut) on the big screen. This I found great fun. I cannot even hazard a guess as to whatever quarrel I .thought I had with the movie back when I first saw it (at college.)

--- End quote ---

It is much closer to the style and tone of the tv series than any of the other movies, going for hard scifi instead of space opera.  The beautiful cinematography and high production value takes it well beyond what you would see on tv (excepting the new shows which have enormous budgets).

It is funny to see how they were clearly setting up to have another Star Trek series with the original cast and then it never happened. 

Anyway I also loved seeing it on the big screen!

71 dB:

--- Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on May 21, 2022, 06:50:09 AM ---Love the movie, love John Hurt in the movie. 

--- End quote ---

The BFI Blu-ray has interesting info about this production. It was supposed to be a TV miniseries originally, but Margaret Thatcher, a close friend of Profume, pressured the TV stations to turn the idea down. So, they made the movie instead which explains why the scenes are so short and why the movie is so jump-cut-heavy. There is just so much to cover within two hours. even Harvey Weinstein was involved, because his company bought the American rights.

SonicMan46:

--- Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 22, 2022, 05:14:15 PM ---Star Trek, the Motion Picture (Director's cut) on the big screen. This I found great fun. I cannot even hazard a guess as to whatever quarrel I .thought I had with the movie back when I first saw it (at college.)

--- End quote ---

Hi Karl - the original movie series below (and the followers) - believe that I've seen most of these films over the years, but own only two as Amazon 4K streamers, i.e. The Wrath of Kahn (1982) and The Voyage Home (1986) - probably need to watch that first one (1979 - the year I was promoted to an Assistant Professor - long time ago!).   :laugh:  Dave

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version