Last Movie You Watched

Started by Drasko, April 06, 2007, 07:51:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Holden and 12 Guests are viewing this topic.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on May 24, 2022, 11:22:54 AM
If you liked Celebrity, you may like Truffaut's Two English Girls as well.

Thanks, buddy!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

маразм1

Heyoooo Barry Lyndon (part 1)

Karl Henning

Tonight: two contrasting love stories

King Kong (1933)
Roxanne
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Madiel

Spider-Man (2002, the first Tobey Maguire film)

I've seen this and the next one before, ones after that will be new to me.

It's kind of okay, but it's striking how old-fashioned this feels in the wake of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. I don't so much mean some of the special effects that don't hold up (most are actually still pretty good), but more the tone and dialogue of some sections. Peter's home life with his aunt and uncle is very much from another era - I'm not sure it was modern even in 2002, it might have been intentionally a bit old-fashioned.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Karl Henning

L.A. Story. I hadn't recognized Patrick Stewart back when I first saw it. Brilliant!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

SonicMan46

Good, Bad, & Ugly, The (1966) - the classic spaghetti western - decided to buy the Amazon 4K streaming version which looks great on my HDTV (film is nearly 60 years old!) If not familiar w/ this movie, check the link below for more of the story, production, and filming locations.  Dave :)

QuoteThe Good, the Bad and the Ugly is a 1966 Italian epic spaghetti Western film directed by Sergio Leone and starring Clint Eastwood as "the Good", Lee Van Cleef as "the Bad", and Eli Wallach as "the Ugly". The film is known for Leone's use of long shots and close-up cinematography, as well as his distinctive use of violence, tension, and highly stylised gunfights. The plot revolves around three gunslingers competing to find a fortune in a buried cache of Confederate gold amid the violent chaos of the American Civil War.... (Source)

Madiel

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 26, 2022, 06:56:47 PM
L.A. Story. I hadn't recognized Patrick Stewart back when I first saw it. Brilliant!

Wait, what, Patrick Stewart is in it? I don't remember that.

I should rewatch, I have the DVD. Probably Steve Martin's finest hour.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

SimonNZ

iirc he is the chef of a super snobby resteraunt

Much as I love LA Story I think Steve Martin's finest hour may be The Spanish Prisoner

Papy Oli

A handful of recent gripping viewings on Netflix:

Olivier

Karl Henning

Quote from: Madiel on May 26, 2022, 09:38:42 PM
Wait, what, Patrick Stewart is in it? I don't remember that.

I should rewatch, I have the DVD. Probably Steve Martin's finest hour.

Also, an uncredited Rick Moranis.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

milk

First time and we really enjoyed this one. Burl Ives is quite something here. The main thing is the beauty of the flick. Cinematography. But the film itself kept me interested even though it's not the most original movie even for its time. But I appreciate it as filmmaking. The mechanics of the story worked well. And it's gorgeous.

Karl Henning

Quote from: milk on May 27, 2022, 08:25:37 AM

First time and we really enjoyed this one. Burl Ives is quite something here. The main thing is the beauty of the flick. Cinematography. But the film itself kept me interested even though it's not the most original movie even for its time. But I appreciate it as filmmaking. The mechanics of the story worked well. And it's gorgeous.

It's a beauty!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

SonicMan46

Quote from: milk on May 27, 2022, 08:25:37 AM

Hey Milk - a favorite of mine for decades; have gone from VHS > DVD > BD (inserted above - AV review HERE, if interested); would probably go to 4K if ever offered?  As you likely know, Burl Ives won the Oscar for Best Supporting Actor.  Dave :)

P.S. AND Jean Simmons is a 'knock-out' in that film!  :P

bhodges

The Rules of the Game (1939, Jean Renoir) - Renoir's Grand Illusion is one of my all-time faves, so expectations were high. Well...this outing wasn't a disaster, but considering the film's reputation, maybe I didn't quite "get it." Perhaps the mediocre print quality was the culprit; truly, it looked like an original 1939 copy, complete with so-called "cue marks" (the circles in the upper right corner that indicate time to change reels), and other distressed elements, e.g., cracks, blotches, other tiny distractions. (I was not watching the Criterion release, which has been restored, and now would like to -- to give it another chance.)

--Bruce

milk

Quote from: SonicMan46 on May 27, 2022, 10:42:58 AM
Hey Milk - a favorite of mine for decades; have gone from VHS > DVD > BD (inserted above - AV review HERE, if interested); would probably go to 4K if ever offered?  As you likely know, Burl Ives won the Oscar for Best Supporting Actor.  Dave :)

P.S. AND Jean Simmons is a 'knock-out' in that film!  :P
I read Eisenhower screened it at the White House for four nights in a row. Meanwhile, the critics didn't seem to love it at the time even while it was so hugely popular. Ives was in Cat on a Hot Tin Roof also - another film from 1958. Good year for Ives. Gigi took all the awards I guess. I don't recall if I've ever seen Gigi. Even while Big Country has unoriginal aspects, it still seems fresh to me. Not only is the photography amazing, but the story somehow manages to transcend its defects whatever they are.

VonStupp

HP & the Deathly Hallows, Part 1 (2010)

My daughter finished the last HP book while finishing up her school year at the same time.

I remember this one being filled with endless angsty camping scenes, and that was here, but it was better than my remembrances.

VS

"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Karl Henning

Quote from: VonStupp on May 28, 2022, 03:59:23 AM
HP & the Deathly Hallows, Part 1 (2010)

My daughter finished the last HP book while finishing up her school year at the same time.

I remember this one being filled with endless angsty camping scenes, and that was here, but it was better than my remembrances.

VS

angsty camping scenes. Like Blazing Saddles, eh? j/k
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

VonStupp

"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA