Last Movie You Watched

Started by Drasko, April 06, 2007, 07:51:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madiel

Quote from: VonStupp on June 19, 2022, 03:06:21 AM
The New Mutants (2020)
Maisy Williams, Alice Braga

Apparently, the last of the Fox series of X-Men movies. Lost this one in the shuffle.

VS

The last couple of ones pretty much disappeared from everyone's radar. I think we were all satisfied to finish with Logan. Well, I know I was.

EDIT: Apparently Dark Phoenix is regarded as one of the biggest box office failures in history. It seems that everyone, including me, looked and asked "why are they basically remaking one of the previous films?".
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Brian

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on June 17, 2022, 06:25:32 AM
There is a lot of movie to take in with RRR, it's runtime, its time-jumps, the song & dance numbers, the over the top action! But it's all done so incredibly well. It's quite the spectacle, and endlessly entertaining.
I personally loved it, and found myself cheering in my living room often.
Exciting to hear this, thanks!

SonicMan46

Yesterday, I was looking on Amazon Prime Video for some 4K UHD offerings and found the film below from 1993 that neither of us had seen:

The Firm (1993) w/ Tom Cruise, Hal Holbrook, Gene Hackman and others (in quote below). A favorite genre of ours, i.e. lawyer and trial films - this one somewhat different (no trials) - generally good reviews - Roger Ebert HERE (3*/4*) - I'd probably do a 4*/5* on Amazon - recommended if you like the young Cruise and Grisham novels or movies based on his books.  Dave :)

QuoteThe Firm is a American legal thriller film directed by Sydney Pollack and starring Tom Cruise, Jeanne Tripplehorn, Gene Hackman, Ed Harris, Holly Hunter, Hal Holbrook, David Strathairn and Gary Busey. The film is based on the 1991 novel The Firm by John Grisham. The Firm was one of two films released in 1993 that were adapted from a Grisham novel, the other being The Pelican Brief. The film was a major commercial success, grossing $270.2 million against a budget of $42 million, making it the highest grossing film adapted from a Grisham novel and the highest-grossing R-rated film of 1993, and received positive reviews for the performances (particularly from Cruise and Hunter). Holly Hunter was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress, while Dave Grusin was nominated for Best Original Score. (Source)

aligreto

Signs:

I have always liked this film. One of the reasons for that is the exceptional performance by the young girl played by Abigail Breslin. Her performance here is one of the best performances that I can remember from a child in a film, given her age at the time.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

The Buttercup Chain: Jane Asher, Roy Dotrice, et al.
The movie is not well-made or best-directed, but the subtle plot is strangely attractive and overall interesting movie.

JBS

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on June 19, 2022, 01:29:47 PM
The Buttercup Chain: Jane Asher, Roy Dotrice, et al.
The movie is not well-made or best-directed, but the subtle plot is strangely attractive and overall interesting movie.

"Martini Movies"
Perhaps they were expecting the audience to be slightly inebriated and therefore less noticing (or more forgiving) of any flaws?

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Apocalypse Now.
It is a well-made movie, but a little superficial. The movie pretends to have a political or humanistic message, but probably it doesn't any.

SonicMan46

1776 - story and fame quoted below, much more at the link.  One of our favorite movies that we watch around this time of the year (i.e. July 4th holiday) - I've owned this from VHS > DVD > BD, and last night decided to buy the Amazon 4K UHD streamer rather than the physical discs shown at the bottom - the film looked and sounded great on our 4K HDTV - recommended!  Dave :)

Quote1776 is a musical with music and lyrics by Sherman Edwards and a book by Peter Stone. The show is based on the events leading up to the signing of the Declaration of Independence, telling a story of the efforts of John Adams to persuade his colleagues to vote for American independence. The show premiered on Broadway in 1969, earning warm reviews, and ran for 1,217 performances. The production won three Tony Awards, including Best Musical. In 1972, it was made into a film adaptation. It was revived on Broadway in 1997; and another Broadway was scheduled for 2021. (Source)

Papy Oli

A couple of nights ago on Netflix:

A second watch for me, many years after the first and it is even better than I remembered. It was a first watch for my partner, she loved it!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Intouchables
Olivier

LKB

Finished watching Spielberg's Lincoln last night. Brilliant work from Daniel Day Lewis, and impressive support from Sally Field, Tommy Lee Jones, Hal Holbrook and others. There are a few imperfections, and l think they weakened the ending with a couple of unnecessary scenes, but it's still a very strong effort.
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

71 dB

Don't Go In The House (Joseph Ellison, 1979) Arrow Blu-ray

Hitchcock's Psycho meets disco music and fire.  ??? This underrated horror movie was misunderstood by the critics, but seems to be getting more appreciation these days. I like this kind of concentration on the dark and depressing mood. For its low budget this is pretty impressive movie. Arrow's release include three versions of the movie:

- Uncut Theatrical cut (83 mins)
- Television version with cuts and additional scenes (89 mins)
- Extended mix that combines all material of the other two cuts (93 mins)

I watched the extented mix.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

aligreto

Enola Holmes:

This is an interesting take on the Sherlock Holmes theme. It centres on the Holmes family and, in particular, the younger sister, Enola, and their mother. It is quirky, very entertaining and definitely worth a watch.

Florestan

On Netflix

Excellent acting from Ben Kingsley (Eichmann) and Oscar Isaac (Peter Malkin).
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

SonicMan46

Last few nights, a couple of 4K UHD physical replacements (3 for 2 sale on Amazon - other film 2001: A Space Odyssey - later):

The Patriot (2000) w/ the main actors in the synopsis below; I've lived in North Carolina since 1971 and have travelled throughout both NC and SC (and the adjacent states) - have read numerous books on the history of the area including many on the Revolutionary War; so, this film is like the happenings in my 'back yard' - BUT, the historical inaccuracies are blatant - the book/movie are really a fictionalized historic drama and the movie can be enjoyed in that way - reviews are mixed; I'd do 4*/5* on Amazon; my wife actually enjoyed the film but would take off a half star which is more in line w/ the usual review websites; typically, the Amazonians voted 4.8*/5*!  Recommended if a Gibson fan and the story is of interest.

Jaws (1975) w/ the actors in the second summary - probably not needed since I assume many know this film; note that both 4K versions of these films received excellent AV reviews HERE for those interested. My wife had never seen this film and enjoyed; the final half hour or so on the ocean trying to 'capture' the huge shark can be 'hair raising' - she did yell a few times -  :laugh:  Highly recommended.

QuoteThe Patriot is an American epic historical war film written by Robert Rodat, directed by Roland Emmerich and starring Mel Gibson, Chris Cooper, Heath Ledger and Jason Isaacs. The story takes place mainly in rural Berkeley County in South Carolina and depicts Benjamin Martin (Gibson), an American colonist opposed to going to war with Great Britain who, along with his adult son, (Ledger) gets swept into the Revolutionary War when his home life is disrupted and one of his sons is murdered by a cruel British officer (Isaacs). Rodat has said Martin is a composite character based on four historical men: Andrew Pickens, Francis Marion, Daniel Morgan and Thomas Sumter. (Source)

QuoteJaws is an American thriller film directed by Steven Spielberg, based on the 1974 novel by Peter Benchley. In the film, a man-eating great white shark attacks beachgoers at a summer resort town, prompting police chief Martin Brody (Roy Scheider) to hunt it with the help of a marine biologist (Richard Dreyfuss) and a professional shark hunter (Robert Shaw). Murray Hamilton plays the mayor, and Lorraine Gary portrays Brody's wife. The screenplay is credited to Benchley, who wrote the first drafts, and actor-writer Carl Gottlieb, who rewrote the script during principal photography. (Source)

Florestan

On Netflix

A very realistic war movie. I hope George MacKay was paid very well for all the ordeals he must have endured duirng filming.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

LKB

I have 1917 on blu-ray. Powerful and haunting, particularly the opening.
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Madiel

I actually have 1917 sitting on my set-top box waiting to be watched.

I do slightly worry that the television broadcast might have had ads in stupid places.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

VonStupp

Quote from: SonicMan46 on June 20, 2022, 12:15:41 PM

My memories from the first time I watched 1776 was being bored, a young man's issue I suspect. Revisiting it a couple of years ago, I was really taken with some of the music; quite dramatically effective in some spots and judicious humor too. The Richard Henry Lee song is a blast!

Quote from: SonicMan46 on June 19, 2022, 07:56:49 AM
The Firm (1993) w/ Tom Cruise, Hal Holbrook, Gene Hackman and others

A fun one!

VS

"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Karl Henning

Quote from: Florestan on June 23, 2022, 04:06:07 AM
On Netflix

A very realistic war movie. I hope George MacKay was paid very well for all the ordeals he must have endured duirng filming.

Thanks for the reminder, I should watch this.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

SonicMan46

Quote from: VonStupp on June 23, 2022, 07:14:38 AM
My memories from the first time I watched 1776 was being bored, a young man's issue I suspect. Revisiting it a couple of years ago, I was really taken with some of the music; quite dramatically effective in some spots and judicious humor too. The Richard Henry Lee song is a blast!

A fun one!

VS

+1 - glad that you 'came around' to 1776:laugh: 8) Dave