Last Movie You Watched

Started by Drasko, April 06, 2007, 07:51:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SonicMan46

Quote from: VonStupp on June 27, 2022, 08:48:34 AM
I like that they made Sleepy Hollow into a detective mystery, albeit it rather strange. Of course, you get Christopher Walken too!

VS

LOL!  ;D   Walken is certainly a bonus for the film - love his teeth!  Dave :)

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

71 dB

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 27, 2022, 08:55:41 AM
A short snippet of it came on the TV at my host family's in Tallinn (broadcast from Helsinki)

You have watched Finnish TV in Tallinn Karl? Cool!  0:)
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

SimonNZ

The film one night, then director Bogdanovich's commentary track the next

Karl Henning

The Inspector General (1949)
Funny to find that, Danny Kaye's Gipsy drinking song aside, I really hadn't seen this before.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

JBS

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 27, 2022, 07:37:08 PM
The Inspector General (1949)
Funny to find that, Danny Kaye's Gipsy drinking song aside, I really hadn't seen this before.

That's a Gogol story, isn't it?
I confess that I haven't seen even the drinking song.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Spotted Horses

Quote from: SonicMan46 on June 27, 2022, 07:05:33 AM
Boy, I've not seen that film in a while and do not even own as a DVD-R (use to burn hundreds of old public domain films off the TCM channel), but enjoyed - love the Nicholas Brothers, and 'racial' film attitudes changed dramatically from the '30s into the '50s and later, e.g. take a look at this YouTube video w/ them and Gene Kelly from the 1948 film 'The Pirate' - Gene Kelly & Nicholas Brothers.  Dave :)

That is so tame, the Nicholas Brothers must have been required to tone down their performance so as not to show up Gene Kelley.

Compare to this, Jumpin' Jive, with Cab Calloway from Stormy Weather (1943).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8yGGtVKrD8
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

aligreto

Midnight in the Switchgrass:

This is a crime thriller about the abduction and murder of young women. It is also notable for being the final appearance of Bruce Willis due to his illness. It was interesting to see how his verbal content was drastically reduced in the film. Hopefully he will have a long, healthy and happy retirement. He has certainly earned it!

aligreto

Quote from: SonicMan46 on June 26, 2022, 09:33:55 AM

Ratatouille (2007) - Pixar production released by Disney (second quote) - as above, we watched the 4K streaming version, a gorgeous production - reviews: 8.1/10, IMDB; 96%, Rotten Tomatoes - highly recommended.   

A particular favourite of mine also.

aligreto

Quote from: steve ridgway on June 27, 2022, 08:46:36 AM
Silence. Absorbing and unusual, if rather violent, story with some interesting questions such as what converts to a religion introduced by an alien culture might actually believe in.

If you are a reader I can certainly recommend the book on which it was based. It was an excellent read.

Florestan

Quote from: aligreto on June 28, 2022, 01:29:57 AM
If you are a reader I can certainly recommend the book on which it was based. It was an excellent read.

+ 1. A few years ago we even discussed the book in the reading thread, it was quite the rage back then.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

aligreto

Quote from: Florestan on June 28, 2022, 01:33:10 AM
+ 1. A few years ago we even discussed the book in the reading thread, it was quite the rage back then.

Yes, I remember, Andrei.
And, like the film, it made for uncomfortable and challenging reading.

Florestan

Quote from: aligreto on June 28, 2022, 01:43:02 AM
Yes, I remember, Andrei.
And, like the film, it made for uncomfortable and challenging reading.

Possibly the saddest, most depressing book I've ever read. Otomh, only Sebastian Barry's A Long Long Way comes close.

Karl Henning

Quote from: JBS on June 27, 2022, 07:59:22 PM
That's a Gogol story, isn't it?
I confess that I haven't seen even the drinking song.

The opening credits include the legend: Suggested by a play by Nikolai Gogol.

https://www.youtube.com/v/tbQ9UauzdSk
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

steve ridgway

Quote from: Florestan on June 28, 2022, 01:53:53 AM
Possibly the saddest, most depressing book I've ever read. Otomh, only Sebastian Barry's A Long Long Way comes close.

Watching Silence I can see why the Japanese rulers might want to stop the import of Christianity although personally I'm grateful the British rulers hadn't prevented me reading about Zen.

VonStupp

Spy Kids 1, 2, & 3 (2001-2003)
Antonio Banderas, Carla Gugino, Cheech Marin
1: Alan Cumming, Tony Shaloub, Danny Trejo
2: Ricardo Montalbán, Steve Buscemi, Christopher McDonald
3: Sylvester Stallone, Bill Paxton, George Clooney, Elijah Wood

Ricardo Montalbán says 'Don't touch! This is...fine Corinthian leather'. It made the sit through these silly family movies with my girls well worth the while. Excellent cameos for the adults in general.

VS

"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Florestan

Quote from: steve ridgway on June 28, 2022, 07:30:58 AM
Watching Silence I can see why the Japanese rulers might want to stop the import of Christianity

Why then?

aligreto

The Silencing:

This is an atmospheric thriller with a reasonably good storyline. It is worth a watch.

SonicMan46

As Good as It Gets (1997) - just updated from my old DVD to an Amazon HD streamer - wife had not seen in a long time and could not remember the details, but greatly enjoyed - of course, the non-human star is the dog, Verdell w/ that adorable face.  As evident from the quote below, Hunt & Nicholson have great 'chemistry' together - highly recommended.  Dave :)

QuoteAs Good as It Gets is an American romantic comedy-drama film directed by James L. Brooks. The film stars Jack Nicholson as a misanthropic, bigoted, and obsessive-compulsive novelist, Helen Hunt as a single mother with a chronically ill son, and Greg Kinnear as an artist who is gay. The film was a box office hit, grossing $314.1 million on a $50 million budget. Nicholson and Hunt won the Academy Award for Best Actor and Best Actress, respectively, making As Good as It Gets the most recent film to win both of the lead acting awards, and the first since 1991's The Silence of the Lambs. It was also nominated for Best Picture but ultimately lost to Titanic. (Source)

aligreto

Quote from: SonicMan46 on June 29, 2022, 05:54:01 AM
As Good as It Gets (1997) - just updated from my old DVD to an Amazon HD streamer - wife had not seen in a long time and could not remember the details, but greatly enjoyed - of course, the non-human star is the dog, Verdell w/ that adorable face.  As evident from the quote below, Hunt & Nicholson have great 'chemistry' together - highly recommended.  Dave :)

One of my favourite films of all time  8)