Started by Drasko, April 06, 2007, 07:51:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

steve ridgway

Quote from: Florestan on June 28, 2022, 11:48:33 AM
Why then?

It's cultural imperialism; some of their Japanese subjects would become loyal to the Pope.

Iota

The main pleasure of this very enjoyable film for me, is its joyful celebration of the Beatles songs, though there are plenty of others - the hilarious roadie 'Rocky' whose comic timing is perfect, the generally excellent fit of everybody to their roles, the clever/funny script, and the 'wow, this is actually rather touching' moments, particularly towards the end.
If you don't know the conceit, it's about a guy who wakes up after a road accident in a world where the Beatles have never existed, and he's the only one who remembers.

aligreto

Waterworld:

I liked it a lot when it came out originally.
I did not enjoy it so much after not having viewed it for a long time.

SonicMan46

Quote from: aligreto on June 30, 2022, 06:48:00 AM
Waterworld:

I liked it a lot when it came out originally.
I did not enjoy it so much after not having viewed it for a long time.

Hi Fergus - my sentiments also - owned on DVD and discarded - liked it for an initial view, second time around - meh - the film has been released in 4K as a physical disc or a streamer ($14 on Amazon either way) - still don't plan a purchase despite a decent 4K review HERE - Dave :)

aligreto

Quote from: SonicMan46 on June 30, 2022, 06:59:15 AM

Hi Fergus - my sentiments also - owned on DVD and discarded - liked it for an initial view, second time around - meh - the film has been released in 4K as a physical disc or a streamer ($14 on Amazon either way) - still don't plan a purchase despite a decent 4K review HERE - Dave :)

Perhaps we just grew up in the meantime, Dave  ;D

Florestan

Quote from: steve ridgway on June 29, 2022, 09:00:35 AM
It's cultural imperialism; some of their Japanese subjects would become loyal to the Pope.

That's not what the book implies in the least. Most Japanese Christians were externely poor, downtrodden peasants whose only desire was to be left alone to worship at their improvised altars. They had no idea about a far away Pope and when martyrized died singing about the afterlife not crying "Long live the Pope!" They posed no threat to the power of warlords.

If the movie implies otherwise then it's a betrayal of the book's letter and spirit.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

DavidW

Quote from: Florestan on June 30, 2022, 09:54:41 AM
That's not what the book implies in the least. Most Japanese Christians were externely poor, downtrodden peasants whose only desire was to be left alone to worship at their improvised altars. They had no idea about a far away Pope and when martyrized died singing about the afterlife not crying "Long live the Pope!" They posed no threat to the power of warlords.

If the movie implies otherwise then it's a betrayal of the book's letter and spirit.

The movie takes the same perspective that you take.  And I personally thought it was a great movie.

Florestan

Quote from: DavidW on June 30, 2022, 10:14:55 AM
The movie takes the same perspective that you take.  And I personally thought it was a great movie.

I haven't seen it yet. I must watch it asap.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

drogulus

Quote from: Florestan on June 30, 2022, 10:37:10 AM
I haven't seen it yet. I must watch it asap.

I think it's an excellent film, so be warned.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

geralmar

A "thinking man's" action drama, which means more talking than action.  Far more talking.  Too bad, really:  the rare action scenes are impressive, especially considering they were mounted long before CGI.  The "brown face" casting of Olivier would definitely be viewed askance today.  Also the historical accuracy is "fanciful" at best.

Watch Zulu (1964) instead. At 138 minutes only four minutes longer than Khartoum but the time flys by.  About the same level of preachiness, unfortunately; but one can't have everything in a1960s historical spectacular.

geralmar

Quote from: VonStupp on June 19, 2022, 03:06:21 AM
The New Mutants (2020)
Maisy Williams, Alice Braga

Apparently, the last of the Fox series of X-Men movies. Lost this one in the shuffle.

VS

I'm sure it's just me; but I am reminded of this poster:

J

ritter

Revisiting, after many years, Roberto Rossellini's Rome, Open City

Despite some (isolated) lines in the dialogues that today sound a bit forced or unnatural, this is as great a film as I remembered it to be. Stupendous cinematography, and great acting by Anna Magnani, Aldo Fabrizi, and the mainly non-professional supporting cast. This film fully deserves its legendary status.

SimonNZ

Second viewing of both

VonStupp

Star Wars: Phantom Menace (1999)
Liam Neeson, Ewan McGregor, Natalie Portman

The girls first watched the 70's/80's Star Wars trilogy last summer. We are continuing on, although with trepidation from me.

I never really enjoyed 'Duel of the Fates' as a separate piece of music, but it works in the context of the film quite well.

VS

"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

bhodges

Valley of the Dolls (1967, dir. Mark Robson) - My third time seeing this in the last year (don't ask), and it's as deliciously bad as you might have heard. Too many hilarious scenes to name, but at the moment, Susan Hayward valiantly singing "I'll Plant My Own Tree" -- amid a weirdly irrelevant set design that looks like bastardized Alexander Calder -- is the winner.

Definitely a good candidate for "Best Worst Movie of All Time."

--Bruce

Karl Henning

Quote from: Brewski on July 03, 2022, 08:43:53 AM
Valley of the Dolls (1967, dir. Mark Robson) - My third time seeing this in the last year (don't ask)

Okay, I'm not asking, but I admit it's a struggle.

I probably chanced on it, channel-surfing one day, and promptly moved on. Even as a period artifact, it might try my patience 8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Florestan

Quote from: drogulus on June 30, 2022, 04:09:01 PM
     I think it's an excellent film, so be warned.

I read the book and enjoyed it --- if that's the right term for such a sad, depressing work. If the movie sticks to the book's letter and spirit then I'll enjoy it too.

DizzyD

I had never seen this version. I dunno...

bhodges

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on July 03, 2022, 08:51:15 AM
Okay, I'm not asking, but I admit it's a struggle.

I probably chanced on it, channel-surfing one day, and promptly moved on. Even as a period artifact, it might try my patience 8)

I can't blame you. To paraphrase, "one man's kitsch is another's torment" or something like that. And it does go on...and on...and on. For a silly melodrama, it definitely outwears its welcome.

But then you get Patty Duke, hilariously overacting, and everyone else in the cast following suit. With all the pre-publicity (e.g., Judy Garland bowing out, Susan Hayward not getting along with the rest of the cast, Jacqueline Susann calling it a piece of s***), it's as if everyone eventually realized, this movie is an utter disaster so we might as well just have some fun.

Or something.  ;D

--Bruce