The Back Room > The Diner

Last Movie You Watched

<< < (6673/6730) > >>

SonicMan46:

--- Quote from: VonStupp on August 08, 2022, 03:07:14 PM ---Fun Dave! I do like that Bernadette Peters stage 'film' and it might be my preference.

As an aside, I was involved in a local production of Into the Woods recently, and Sondheim's music is quite tricky to pull off.

VS

--- End quote ---

Hi VS - well, that's Sondheim - the women seem to just love the guy (despite his proclivities?) - my wife is a singer from early on (was in choral groups at Brown U. & U. of Chicago - even did some lead singing back then) and just adores Stephen S. (I have to pretend and make up corny jokes which she ignores -  :laugh:) - Dave :)

vandermolen:
On TV - very good, balanced and moving with a fine soundtrack (sadly not on CD  :()

Roasted Swan:
On Netflix at the moment is Benediction;

which is the story of Siegfried Sassoon.  Rather well done and acted I thought although it does rather just descend into a series of witty barbs fired out by bright young things struggling with their memories and their lives.  Of course it was a remarkable time and there were many remarkable people in the society Sassoon moved in.  All of which made the characters slightly more tiresome than sympathetic but perhaps that is how they were - Ivor Novello as portrayed was clearly a prize s**t.  Of further interest to CM lovers as they use quite a lot of original music - ie the Tallis Fantasia covers the last minutes of the film and the credits.  Peter Capaldi as the old embittered Sassoon is pretty dreadful as he really struggles with the "cut-glass" accent and his acting feels self-concious and stiff as a consequence.  But overall it was well worth a watch.

milk:

--- Quote from: milk on August 08, 2022, 03:55:52 AM ---Wings of Hope
An awesome move. Literally. Doc by Werner Herzog.
The story of Juliane Koepcke who “as a teenager in 1971…survived the LANSA Flight 508 plane crash, after a fall of 3,000 m (9,843 ft), still strapped to her seat…then survived 11 days alone in the Amazon rainforest.” - Wikipedia says.

Watch it on YouTube at the moment for free:
https://youtu.be/msipyM4vyLg

--- End quote ---
I don’t think you guys heard me. Her airplane crashed and everyone in it died but she landed on the ground along with a row of seats. Then, she spent 11 days in the jungle alone finding her way out. At 17 years old. No, really.   ???

vandermolen:

--- Quote from: Roasted Swan on August 08, 2022, 10:06:31 PM ---On Netflix at the moment is Benediction;

which is the story of Siegfried Sassoon.  Rather well done and acted I thought although it does rather just descend into a series of witty barbs fired out by bright young things struggling with their memories and their lives.  Of course it was a remarkable time and there were many remarkable people in the society Sassoon moved in.  All of which made the characters slightly more tiresome than sympathetic but perhaps that is how they were - Ivor Novello as portrayed was clearly a prize s**t.  Of further interest to CM lovers as they use quite a lot of original music - ie the Tallis Fantasia covers the last minutes of the film and the credits.  Peter Capaldi as the old embittered Sassoon is pretty dreadful as he really struggles with the "cut-glass" accent and his acting feels self-concious and stiff as a consequence.  But overall it was well worth a watch.

--- End quote ---
Thanks - I really want to see this film.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version