The Back Room > The Diner

Last Movie You Watched

<< < (6677/6728) > >>

SonicMan46:
Last night, Susan continued w/ her interest in cop/detective films but wanted color this time -  ::)   My pick:

In the Heat of the Night (1967) - a favorite of mine w/ music by Quincy Jones and Ray Charles doing the theme song - the Criterion BD in my collection was rated 5*/5* for both audio and visuals HERE, and looked spectacular on my 4K HDTV (which usually 'upscales' blu-rays).  Dave :)

--- Quote ---In the Heat of the Night is an American mystery drama film directed by Norman Jewison. It tells the story of Virgil Tibbs, a Black police detective from Philadelphia, who becomes involved in a murder investigation in a small town in Mississippi. It stars Sidney Poitier and Rod Steiger; the screenplay was written by Stirling Silliphant. At the 40th Academy Awards the film was nominated for seven Oscars, winning five including Best Picture and Best Actor for Steiger. (Source)
--- End quote ---

VonStupp:

--- Quote from: SonicMan46 on August 11, 2022, 07:07:10 AM ---Hey VS - believe the Star Wars Franchise is at IX (as added above); there appears to be a X in pre-production (which would bring the saga duration to nearly 50 years - wow!) - see quote/link - for myself, I own the original trilogy (IV-VI) on BD, and earlier this year streamed the same ones as 4Ks on Disney+ (really looked great!) - now, I've streamed all of the remainder but have purchased none (assume I could stream on Disney) - but if memory recalls, I must say that the The Force Awakens is a favorite in that non-original bunch.  :)  Dave

--- End quote ---

I didn't know there was a 10th on the way Dave, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised. If addicted to that universe, between the big screen and small, one could really be over-saturated, I think.

VS

VonStupp:
SW: The Last Jedi (2017)
Daisy Ridley, John Boyega, Adam Driver, Oscar Isaac
Mark Hamill, Carrie Fischer, Benicio del Toro

I have been enjoying these. The girls really like all of the droid and creature humor.

VS

SonicMan46:
The Killers (1946) w/ Lancaster in his film debut and a ravishingly young Ava Gardner - synopsis below, much more at the link - if you're into 'film noir' and want to see two future great actors in early roles, then highly recommended!  Dave :)

--- Quote ---The Killers is an American film noir starring Burt Lancaster, Ava Gardner, Edmond O'Brien, and Sam Levene. Based on the 1927 short story of the same name by Ernest Hemingway; it focuses on an insurance detective's investigation into the execution by two professional killers of a former boxer who was unresistant to his own murder. Directed by Robert Siodmak, it featured an uncredited John Huston and Richard Brooks co-writing the screenplay, which was credited to Anthony Veiller. On release, The Killers was a critical success, earning four Academy Award nominations, including for Best Director and Best Film Editing. Hemingway, who was habitually disgusted with how Hollywood distorted his thematic intentions, was an open admirer of the film. (Source)
--- End quote ---

vandermolen:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version