Last Movie You Watched

Started by Drasko, April 06, 2007, 07:51:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SonicMan46

Last night, Susan continued w/ her interest in cop/detective films but wanted color this time -  ::)   My pick:

In the Heat of the Night (1967) - a favorite of mine w/ music by Quincy Jones and Ray Charles doing the theme song - the Criterion BD in my collection was rated 5*/5* for both audio and visuals HERE, and looked spectacular on my 4K HDTV (which usually 'upscales' blu-rays).  Dave :)

QuoteIn the Heat of the Night is an American mystery drama film directed by Norman Jewison. It tells the story of Virgil Tibbs, a Black police detective from Philadelphia, who becomes involved in a murder investigation in a small town in Mississippi. It stars Sidney Poitier and Rod Steiger; the screenplay was written by Stirling Silliphant. At the 40th Academy Awards the film was nominated for seven Oscars, winning five including Best Picture and Best Actor for Steiger. (Source)

VonStupp

Quote from: SonicMan46 on August 11, 2022, 08:07:10 AM
Hey VS - believe the Star Wars Franchise is at IX (as added above); there appears to be a X in pre-production (which would bring the saga duration to nearly 50 years - wow!) - see quote/link - for myself, I own the original trilogy (IV-VI) on BD, and earlier this year streamed the same ones as 4Ks on Disney+ (really looked great!) - now, I've streamed all of the remainder but have purchased none (assume I could stream on Disney) - but if memory recalls, I must say that the The Force Awakens is a favorite in that non-original bunch.  :)  Dave

I didn't know there was a 10th on the way Dave, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised. If addicted to that universe, between the big screen and small, one could really be over-saturated, I think.

VS
"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

VonStupp

SW: The Last Jedi (2017)
Daisy Ridley, John Boyega, Adam Driver, Oscar Isaac
Mark Hamill, Carrie Fischer, Benicio del Toro

I have been enjoying these. The girls really like all of the droid and creature humor.

VS

SonicMan46

The Killers (1946) w/ Lancaster in his film debut and a ravishingly young Ava Gardner - synopsis below, much more at the link - if you're into 'film noir' and want to see two future great actors in early roles, then highly recommended!  Dave :)

QuoteThe Killers is an American film noir starring Burt Lancaster, Ava Gardner, Edmond O'Brien, and Sam Levene. Based on the 1927 short story of the same name by Ernest Hemingway; it focuses on an insurance detective's investigation into the execution by two professional killers of a former boxer who was unresistant to his own murder. Directed by Robert Siodmak, it featured an uncredited John Huston and Richard Brooks co-writing the screenplay, which was credited to Anthony Veiller. On release, The Killers was a critical success, earning four Academy Award nominations, including for Best Director and Best Film Editing. Hemingway, who was habitually disgusted with how Hollywood distorted his thematic intentions, was an open admirer of the film. (Source)

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

SimonNZ

Quote from: vandermolen on August 14, 2022, 12:45:09 AM

Ah, there's a new Terence Davies film I was unaware of. And it's about Sigfried Sassoon? what did you think of It?

His The Long Day Closes is, I think, one of the best films ever.

Todd

The Hateful Eight in its serialized, extended version.  I watched this once before, in its roadshow version, projected in 70 mm Panavision on the only local screen capable of showing the movie in that format.  That presentation helped the movie because the imagery was less detailed and obviously much vaster than its digitally mastered, downsized version.  On the high res small screen, Minnie's Haberdashery looks like a TV studio set from the 50s, though in color.  The exterior shots still look good, but a lot of the impact of the movie is lost in the downsizing.  The movie also does not gain from the upsizing of content.  I can't remember every detail of the viewing experience from seven years ago, but the current version, with a bit more exposition, merely seems a bit longer overall.  Some of the dialogue is sharp and compelling, but some also sounds anachronistic to the point of diversion.  One always expects gratuitous violence in a Tarantino movie, and this has it, but it doesn't really help matters.  The movie has not held up well.  It's one of Tarantino's lesser efforts. 
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

SonicMan46

Last few nights, two very different films, i.e. a comedy about an Australian Tarzan and a chilling film noir:

Crocodile Dundee (1986) - short summary below staring Paul Hogan and Linda Kozlowski - I've watched and enjoyed No. 2, but No. 3 to complete a trilogy was poor IIRC but would need to watch again.  The first one is highly recommended for the many laughs!

The Killing (1956) - synopsis below; many actors in an ensemble cast; Stanley Kubrick, director - guess the ending's moral is 'crime doesn't pay' -  :D 8)  Dave

QuoteCrocodile Dundee is an action comedy film set in the Australian Outback and in New York City. It stars Paul Hogan as the weathered Mick Dundee, and Linda Kozlowski as reporter Sue Charlton. Inspired by the true-life exploits of Rod Ansell, the film was made on a budget of under $10 million as a deliberate attempt to make a commercial Australian film that would appeal to a mainstream American audience, but proved to be a worldwide phenomenon. (Source)

QuoteThe Killing is an American film noir directed by Stanley Kubrick and produced by James B. Harris. It was written by Kubrick and Jim Thompson and based on the novel Clean Break by Lionel White. The drama stars Sterling Hayden, Coleen Gray, and Vince Edwards, and features Marie Windsor, Elisha Cook Jr., Jay C. Flippen and Timothy Carey. (Source)

ritter

Another lesser-known Buñuel, Cela s'appelle l'aurore ("This is Called Dawn").

This movie from 1954 is Buñuel's first French film since his departure for the US and then Mexico at the end of the Spanish Civil War. It's a love story set in a very backward Corsican town, but everything is tinged with strong social critique. Some of the cinematography is simply stunning, and as usual Lucia Bosé's elusive beauty is a great bonus.

The title is taken from a line of Jean Giraudoux's play Électre.

VonStupp

Quote from: SonicMan46 on August 14, 2022, 07:41:38 AM
Crocodile Dundee (1986) - short summary below staring Paul Hogan and Linda Kozlowski - I've watched and enjoyed No. 2, but No. 3 to complete a trilogy was poor IIRC but would need to watch again.  The first one is highly recommended for the many laughs!

Yes, Dave, 3 was not good, other than to see what Paul Hogan was up to.

This past weekend, I finished up the most recent SW trilogy with:

SW: The Rise of Skywalker (2019)
Daisy Ridley, John Boyega, Adam Driver, Oscar Isaac
Carrie Fischer, Billy Dee Williams, Ian McDiarmid

VS

aligreto

Mothering Sunday:

This is a two track [perhaps, specifically, a three track at a push] then and now film about a young woman in service in a big house in 1924. It is quite well done and oftentimes quite atmospheric. It ploughs a good furrow between sentimentality and sensationalism. It was a quietly studied film and I enjoyed it.

pjme

I've seen several films by Ozon. I liked most of them (Huit femmes, Ricky, Potiche, Frantz...) and this (gay) free adaptation of Fassbinder's Petra von Kant is no exception. It is a claustrophobic melodrama of impossible love, full of histrionics, brutal humor and bitter tears.....it is all very theatrical and the set (basically one large room) feels like a prison...Excellent!

relm1

Jaws was on TV yesterday which I started watching.  It really is a great, great film so expertly crafted with memorable characters and excellent directing/editing/screenplay.  And of course, a masterful score by John Williams in his golden age.  I wonder if this was the first film with jump scares, but they are still incredibly effective like when Chief Brody sees Jaws eye to eye for the first time while chumming the water and delivers the "You're going to need a bigger boat" line.

SonicMan46

Grand Hotel (1932) w/ Greta Garbo, John & Lionel Barrymore, Joan Crawford, Wallace Berry, and others - excellent restoration for a 90 year-old film!  Garbo states her famous line 'I want to be alone' - made in the pre-code days but not too racy (from others that I've seen or own); ratings good, i.e. 7.3/10, IMDB & 86%, Rotten Tomatoes - recommended especially to see Garbo and the profiles of her and John B. (3rd pic below - 2nd pic the two brothers together w/ the young Joan Crawford).  Dave :)

QuoteGrand Hotel is an American pre-Code drama film directed by Edmund Goulding. The screenplay by William A. Drake is based on the 1930 play of the same title by Drake, who had adapted it from the 1929 novel Menschen im Hotel by Vicki Baum. To date, it is the only film to have won the Academy Award for Best Picture without being nominated in any other category. Grand Hotel has proven influential in the years since its original release. The line "I want to be alone", famously delivered by Greta Garbo, placed number 30 in AFI's 100 Years...100 Movie Quotes. In 2007, the film was selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry by the Library of Congress for being "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant". (Source)

vandermolen

Quote from: SimonNZ on August 14, 2022, 03:02:30 AM
Ah, there's a new Terence Davies film I was unaware of. And it's about Sigfried Sassoon? what did you think of It?

His The Long Day Closes is, I think, one of the best films ever.

We really liked it. Rather sad and moving with fine performances, especially from Jack Lowden as the young Sassoon.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

LKB

Quote from: relm1 on August 15, 2022, 05:52:26 AM
Jaws was on TV yesterday which I started watching.  It really is a great, great film so expertly crafted with memorable characters and excellent directing/editing/screenplay.  And of course, a masterful score by John Williams in his golden age.  I wonder if this was the first film with jump scares, but they are still incredibly effective like when Chief Brody sees Jaws eye to eye for the first time while chumming the water and delivers the "You're going to need a bigger boat" line.

It's a near-perfect film. Every scene serves the story in some way, whether by defining the characters, raising the dramatic stakes or providing visceral motivation for investing in the story.
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Karl Henning

Quote from: LKB on August 15, 2022, 08:34:50 AM
It's a near-perfect film. Every scene serves the story in some way, whether by defining the characters, raising the dramatic stakes or providing visceral motivation for investing in the story.

Spielberg endured a watery hell making the movie, and to his credit, the result transcends its problematic birthing utterly.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

aligreto

The Changeling:

A man loses his wife and daughter in a road accident. He decides to relocate to another part of the country. He rents an old house and soon discovers that it has a particular past. Supernatural events begin to occur. This all leads him to unearth a tragic history that had taken place in the house in the past. It was quite good for a film of this type for its time [1979] and it was very watchable.

relm1

What do you all think of Spielberg's next film, Close Encounters?  To me, it's a unique film with arguably the best score by John Williams (what single score from any other film has greater range from a-tonal fear to mystical to adventure to otherworldly, childlike awe and wonder regardless of composer?).  The film is masterful in its directing, cinematography, acting, innovative casting (French New Wave director, François Truffaut, in his only pure acting role), editing, but is quite confused in its story telling.  There is a strong undercurrent about Pinocchio that doesn't quite fit in to the story.  Even the music incorporates Jiminy Cricket's song, "When You Wish Upon a Star" into the score.  The government conspiracy subplot is right out of watergate.  I just get confused what exactly is the message the film wants to give?  I get its not to be afraid of the scary aliens but they did kidnap alot of people over decades in very scary ways.  Was it right for Roy to abandon his family for his vision?  Why was he the only one chosen to join them?  Do the aliens seek someone who abandons their family?  Regardless, it is incredibly moving by the final moments and one of the must awe and wondering films I've ever seen regardless of its flaws.

Roasted Swan

Quote from: relm1 on August 15, 2022, 05:52:26 AM

Didn't Tarantino state that "jaws" was the greatest movie every made - specifically movie NOT film in the sense that it most perfectly fulfils the requirements of an audience in this type of film?  Also, didn't Robert Shaw improvise the "bigger boat" line?