Author Topic: Last Movie You Watched  (Read 3367814 times)

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
Re: Last Movie You Watched
« Reply #33560 on: September 20, 2022, 10:13:02 AM »

Not as heavily cut as the McKellen, but still more cut than I was expecting from a project like this (2 hours 15 minutes, compared to the complete BBC version at 4 hours). But very well done by all, and Sophie Okonedo more convincing as an old mad Margaret than as the younger manipulator in Henry VI.

Also watched: Marcel Ophuls' documentary on the state of Irish politics in the early days of the Troubles. Released in 1972, but filmed in 1971 before Bloody Sunday. Every bit as worthy as his more famous The Sorrow And The Pity. Particularly fascinating long interviews with Bernadette Devlin.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2022, 10:28:18 AM by SimonNZ »

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #33561 on: September 20, 2022, 11:59:10 AM »
Why is this the standout in the franchise for you gents?

Karl - I'm with you - the ranking of the Indy films HERE are in my preferred order (might reverse their Nos. 1 & 2 -  :laugh:) - Dave

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, D. Scarlattii, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Martinů, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #33562 on: September 20, 2022, 05:06:19 PM »
Karl - I'm with you - the ranking of the Indy films HERE are in my preferred order (might reverse their Nos. 1 & 2 -  :laugh: ) - Dave

I didn't mean so much that my own ranking differs, Dave, but am interested to know what they really enjoy about Temple of Doom. I certainly remember seeing it in the movie house with pleasure, especially the Busby Berkeley musical homage at the start.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline George

• Veteran member
  • Hey Bert!
« Reply #33563 on: September 20, 2022, 05:23:21 PM »

Good little film. Who knew Aubrey had this much range?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2022, 05:45:33 PM by George »
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #33564 on: September 20, 2022, 06:17:21 PM »
Have you seen Legion? She gets to do a lot of crazy stuff in that.

Offline George

• Veteran member
  • Hey Bert!
« Reply #33565 on: September 20, 2022, 07:09:14 PM »
Have you seen Legion? She gets to do a lot of crazy stuff in that.

No, I should check that out. Thanks.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #33566 on: September 21, 2022, 01:14:17 AM »

I believe that this may be the first time that I have seen this film since it was originally released in the cinema when I then saw it. I enjoyed it then and I enjoyed it on this viewing.
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and leave no doubt.

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, D. Scarlattii, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Martinů, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #33567 on: September 21, 2022, 05:52:01 PM »
And Then There Were None (1945)
I've only seen this back when I was a boy, so I only learn tonight that the score is by Castelnuovo-Tedesco.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #33568 on: September 22, 2022, 12:56:34 AM »
Tibet: Cry of the Snow Lion

This is a documentary film from 2007 which details the effect that the invasion, annexation, subjugation and ultimately the genocide that was applied by the Chinese government in the 1950s in Tibet. The attempted annihilation of the culture of the Tibetan people by brute force by the destruction of their monasteries and the then precious libraries and artefacts, let alone those defenceless people themselves can be difficult to watch.

The really difficult part was watching how the world ultimately turned its back on the Tibetans and what was happening to them in order to appease the Chinese so that the Chinese markets could be opened up to Western powers for major mutual business deals. The footage is amazing to see both in a good and a bad way.
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and leave no doubt.

Offline geralmar

« Reply #33569 on: September 22, 2022, 07:07:18 PM »

The quality of production can be gauged by noting where the desert backdrop touches the stage floor:

Offline 71 dB

• Veteran member
  • I'm not insensitive. I'm an INTJ/P.
    • Soundcloud
    This and that...
« Reply #33570 on: September 23, 2022, 08:35:24 AM »
I watched the Six Million Dollar Man pilot movie from 1973.

Not much happened in it. Most of the 74 minutes run time was wasted on building the cyborg version of Steve Austin, but hey, this is for nostalgia...  0:)
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW track "Jazzz"

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #33571 on: September 23, 2022, 09:23:14 AM »

Not much happened in it. Most of the 74 minutes run time was wasted on building the cyborg version of Steve Austin, but hey, this is for nostalgia...  0:)
Hi Poju - thanks for the memories!  8)  My young son (4-5 years old) and I watched the last 2 years of that series (described below for those not in the know) faithfully - checking Amazon (second pic), the 'complete series has been released as a 33-BD box ($125 USD on Amazon) - will not be a purchase -  :laugh:   And, we of course also watched the Bionic Woman.  Dave

The Six Million Dollar Man is an American science fiction and action television series, running from 1973 to 1978, about a former astronaut, USAF Colonel Steve Austin, portrayed by Lee Majors. After a NASA test flight accident, Austin is rebuilt with superhuman strength, speed and vision due to bionic implants and is employed as a secret agent by the U.S. government. The series was based on the novel Cyborg. Following three television films intended as pilots, which all aired in 1973, The Six Million Dollar Man television series aired for five seasons from 1974 to 1978. A spin-off television series, The Bionic Woman, featuring the lead female character Jaime Sommers, ran from 1976 to 1978. Three television movies featuring both bionic characters were also produced from 1987 to 1994. (Source)

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #33572 on: September 23, 2022, 09:36:13 AM »

Don't think I ever saw the pilot back in the day. Wouldn't mind checking that out.

Where did you find it?

Offline 71 dB

• Veteran member
    • Soundcloud
    This and that...
« Reply #33573 on: September 23, 2022, 09:58:02 AM »
Don't think I ever saw the pilot back in the day. Wouldn't mind checking that out.

Where did you find it?

It is German Blu-ray release and I bought it from Amazon.de.

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B08J1STM34/

Offline 71 dB

• Veteran member
    • Soundcloud
    This and that...
« Reply #33574 on: September 23, 2022, 10:19:03 AM »
Hi Poju - thanks for the memories!  8)  My young son (4-5 years old) and I watched the last 2 years of that series (described below for those not in the know) faithfully - checking Amazon (second pic), the 'complete series has been released as a 33-BD box ($125 USD on Amazon) - will not be a purchase -  :laugh:   And, we of course also watched the Bionic Woman.  Dave

Interesting box, but there are six million problems... ...German box is B-region but 189 euros...

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #33575 on: September 23, 2022, 10:41:59 AM »
Some new Amazon streamer upgrades - Little Women DVD > HD & Karate Kid BD > UHD:

Little Women (1994) w/ Winona Ryder, Gabriel Byrne, Susan Sarandon, et al - adaptation of the post-Civil War LM Alcott's popular book - there have been 7 film adaptions of this book from 1917 to 2019; according to the IMDB, their viewer rankings are shown below w/ the 1994 and 2019 versions on top; according to this website, the 1 and 2 rankings are reversed which is my preference; the 1933 film w/ Katy Hepburn is also good but on watching my DVD-R version last year, I could not tolerate her New England histrionics - SO, if you want a more modern version of the story, 1994 and 2019 are my recommendations!

The Karate Kid (1984) - synopsis and cast below - well known and still entertaining (and plenty of sequels) - for me, the most poignant scene is when Miyagi wears his WW II US Army suit, gets drunk and passes out - Daniel learns that his pregnant wife had died in childbirth in a Japanese interment camp while he was earning a Medal of Honor fighting the Japanese (more HERE) - one of the most disgraceful decisions made by America in that war (Wiki article HERE for those interested).  Dave :)

Little Women is an American coming-of-age historical drama film directed by Gillian Armstrong. The screenplay by Robin Swicord is based on Louisa May Alcott's 1868-69 two-volume novel of the same title, the fifth feature film adaptation of the classic story. The film received three Academy Award nominations for Best Actress (Ryder), Best Costume Design, and Best Original Score. (Source)

The Karate Kid is an American martial arts drama film written by Robert Mark Kamen and directed by John G. Avildsen. It is the first installment in the Karate Kid franchise, and stars Ralph Macchio, Pat Morita, Elisabeth Shue and William Zabka. The Karate Kid follows Daniel LaRusso (Macchio), a teenager taught karate by Mr. Miyagi (Morita) to help defend himself and compete in a tournament against his bullies, one of whom is Johnny Lawrence (Zabka), the ex-boyfriend of his love interest Ali Mills (Shue).

Offline relm1

• Veteran member
« Reply #33576 on: September 23, 2022, 03:17:02 PM »
Some new Amazon streamer upgrades - Little Women DVD > HD & Karate Kid BD > UHD:

Little Women (1994) w/ Winona Ryder, Gabriel Byrne, Susan Sarandon, et al - adaptation of the post-Civil War LM Alcott's popular book - there have been 7 film adaptions of this book from 1917 to 2019; according to the IMDB, their viewer rankings are shown below w/ the 1994 and 2019 versions on top; according to this website, the 1 and 2 rankings are reversed which is my preference; the 1933 film w/ Katy Hepburn is also good but on watching my DVD-R version last year, I could not tolerate her New England histrionics - SO, if you want a more modern version of the story, 1994 and 2019 are my recommendations!

The Karate Kid (1984) - synopsis and cast below - well known and still entertaining (and plenty of sequels) - for me, the most poignant scene is when Miyagi wears his WW II US Army suit, gets drunk and passes out - Daniel learns that his pregnant wife had died in childbirth in a Japanese interment camp while he was earning a Medal of Honor fighting the Japanese (more HERE) - one of the most disgraceful decisions made by America in that war (Wiki article HERE for those interested).  Dave :)

Karate Kid 1 is a great film but if you want to see an excellent version of this film with the same director and composer, see Rocky (1976).  That's a very good film and script.  I think Rocky 2 is pretty good and another knockout *cough* score.  Not a fan of the rest as they started to cash in.  I haven't seen the reboot of Creed but hear it is solid but two extremely fine movies of the 70's "hip" culture are Rocky (1976) and Saturday Night Fever (1977).  I'm not going to lie, I was a very young kid so only saw those after their release and with Saturday Night Fever, I never saw that until quite recently.  It's quite good if you can get over the campiness and 70's melodrama.  It's a great coming of age film about a kid who has dreams bigger than his situation allows him to have.  That was a very popular theme in the late 70's and early 80's with Bad News Bears (1976), Rocky (1976), Saturday Night Fever, Breaking Away (1979), Karate Kid (1984).  All are very good films that are genre defining and cultural milestones though generally had way too many useless sequels. 

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #33577 on: September 23, 2022, 05:09:39 PM »
Karate Kid 1 is a great film but if you want to see an excellent version of this film with the same director and composer, see Rocky (1976).  That's a very good film and script.  I think Rocky 2 is pretty good and another knockout *cough* score.  Not a fan of the rest as they started to cash in.  I haven't seen the reboot of Creed but hear it is solid but two extremely fine movies of the 70's "hip" culture are Rocky (1976) and Saturday Night Fever (1977).  I'm not going to lie, I was a very young kid so only saw those after their release and with Saturday Night Fever, I never saw that until quite recently.  It's quite good if you can get over the campiness and 70's melodrama.  It's a great coming of age film about a kid who has dreams bigger than his situation allows him to have.  That was a very popular theme in the late 70's and early 80's with Bad News Bears (1976), Rocky (1976), Saturday Night Fever, Breaking Away (1979), Karate Kid (1984).  All are very good films that are genre defining and cultural milestones though generally had way too many useless sequels.

Hi - familiar w/ all of those films - I saw the first Rocky w/ my wife when released in the theater in 1976 (dating myself -  ;D) I've owned the film from DVD > BD > 4K UHD, the latter as an Amazon streaming purchase - I've seen virtually all of the sequels but was not interested in purchasing anymore.  Thanks for the comments.  Dave :)

Offline Madiel

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
    Whatever's listed in my blog.
« Reply #33578 on: September 23, 2022, 09:58:10 PM »
Last night on the BBC, Paddington. Adorable and brilliantly done. The 85 minutes just flew by.

The sequel is even better.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #33579 on: September 24, 2022, 01:08:28 AM »
In Bruges:

After an assassination inadvertently goes wrong two Irish assassins are sent into hiding in Bruges. The film recounts the rest of the story as it plays out there but more importantly the nature of the relationship between the two guys. It is filled with black humour and I find it very entertaining [possibly because I can readily relate to the characters of the two guys].