Last Movie You Watched

Started by Drasko, April 06, 2007, 07:51:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

71 dB

Hereditary (2018)

A lot of noise has been made about this movie, but I didn't like it much. Not very scare and it feels very empty. There is not much plot under the creepy atmosphere. For me it was more important to see this than to enjoy it to know what the buzz was about. Turned out not much...  :P

Watched this on TV. It took this long (4 years of so) for it to be shown on TV...
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Madiel

Servant of the People (2)

Which is completely silly. And won't make the slightest bit of sense to anyone who hasn't watched the first season of the TV show Servant of the People (it was made between the first and second seasons, hence the "2" in the original title because the 1st season of the TV show counts as "1"). But notable because you can watch Zelenskyy on the run from thugs while dressed as a Ukrainian grandmother.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

VonStupp

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on November 13, 2022, 06:50:29 PM
I saw about the first 15 minutes by accident. I should really go ahead and watch the lot.

Some sly references to Evil Dead 2 and Army of Darkness that amused me as well.

VS
"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Pohjolas Daughter

Tried something very different from my usual fair last night:  a Japanese horror film from 1968 called Kuroneko (aka "Black Cat") directed by Kianeto Shindo.  Without giving too much away, it's set in a village in war-torn feudal Japan and has to do with two revengeful spirits and their quest for justice.  It's also in black and white.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

SonicMan46

Last few nights, an old Hitchcock favorite on Criterion and a recent Marvel comic hit, purchased as an UHD Amazon streamer:

Foreign Correspondent (1940) - short synopsis below along with the cast; teenage Day adorable - exciting early Hitch production.

Black Panther (2018) - brief review w/ cast below - watched this film on release and was impressed w/ the story and the graphics.  Yesterday, NPR devoted a whole hour to the movie emphasizing the tragic early death of Chadwick Boseman, SO selling cheaply as an UHD Amazon streamer and made the purchase - looked spectacular on my 50" HDTV (wish that I had room for a larger flat screen -  :laugh:).  Dave

QuoteForeign Correspondent is an American spy thriller film directed by Alfred Hitchcock. It tells the story of an American reporter based in Britain who tries to expose enemy spies involved in a fictional continent-wide conspiracy in the prelude to World War II. It stars Joel McCrea and features 19-year-old Laraine Day, Herbert Marshall, George Sanders, Albert Basserman, and Robert Benchley, along with Edmund Gwenn. The film was one of two Hitchcock films nominated for the Academy Award for Best Picture, the other being Rebecca, which went on to win the award. The film was nominated for six Academy Awards, but did not win any. (Source

QuoteBlack Panther is an American superhero film based on the Marvel Comics character. Produced by Marvel Studios and distributed by Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures, it is the 18th film in the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU). The film was directed by Ryan Coogler, who co-wrote the screenplay with Joe Robert Cole, and it stars Chadwick Boseman as T'Challa / Black Panther alongside Michael B. Jordan, Lupita Nyong'o, Danai Gurira, Martin Freeman, Daniel Kaluuya, Letitia Wright, Winston Duke, Angela Bassett, Forest Whitaker, and Andy Serkis. In Black Panther, T'Challa is crowned king of Wakanda following his father's death, but he is challenged by Killmonger (Jordan), who plans to abandon the country's isolationist policies and begin a global revolution. (Source)

Karl Henning

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on November 15, 2022, 12:13:22 AM
Tried something very different from my usual fair last night:  a Japanese horror film from 1968 called Kuroneko (aka "Black Cat") directed by Kianeto Shindo.  Without giving too much away, it's set in a village in war-torn feudal Japan and has to do with two revengeful spirits and their quest for justice.  It's also in black and white.

PD

Sounds very interesting, PD!

Quote from: SonicMan46 on November 15, 2022, 04:23:43 AM
Last few nights, an old Hitchcock favorite on Criterion and a recent Marvel comic hit, purchased as an UHD Amazon streamer:

Foreign Correspondent (1940) - short synopsis below along with the cast; teenage Day adorable - exciting early Hitch production.

Somehow, I've not seen that one yet, Dave. I must be able to find it at the library!

TD: Naked Gun, which somehow I'd never seen before. Damn, but it's funny.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Brian

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on November 15, 2022, 05:14:21 AM
Now you're ready to start an Enrico Pallazzo thread in the opera subforum!

Karl Henning

Quote from: Brian on November 16, 2022, 07:45:51 AM
Now you're ready to start an Enrico Pallazzo thread in the opera subforum!

(* chortle *)

TD: Always good ... Stardust Memories.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

George

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on November 15, 2022, 05:14:21 AM

Indeed it is! Police Squad (the TV series) is well worth checking out, Karl. 
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

LKB

Quote from: George on November 16, 2022, 08:12:59 AM

+1

I had the DVD with all six episodes for years, and finally donated it to a friend at work.

Police Squad ( In Color! ) is awesome.
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Karl Henning

Quote from: George on November 16, 2022, 08:12:59 AM

Quote from: LKB on November 16, 2022, 08:37:09 AM
+1

I had the DVD with all six episodes for years, and finally donated it to a friend at work.

Police Squad ( In Color! ) is awesome.

Noted, thanks!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Spotted Horses

Not proud of it, but out of some sort of impulse towards self-harm or morbid curiosity I watched the 1976 King Kong (free amazon prime streaming, mostly sort of in the background, 15 minutes at a time over several days).

The updated plot, that they went to the island looking for oil, makes more sense than the original (but is it really supposed to make sense?). Some scenes were more or less recreations of the original. Ultimately unsatisfying. Bridges and Lang are ok in their silly roles, Charles Grodan is not so convincing as the opportunistic oil company guy. Pretty peculiar the way Jessica Lang is supposedly turned on by Kong. And the scenes of the natives of skull island are even more cringe worthy in 1976 than they were in 1933.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Karl Henning

Quote from: Spotted Horses on November 17, 2022, 06:42:29 AM
Not proud of it, but out of some sort of impulse towards self-harm or morbid curiosity I watched the 1976 King Kong (free amazon prime streaming, mostly sort of in the background, 15 minutes at a time over several days).

The updated plot, that they went to the island looking for oil, makes more sense than the original (but is it really supposed to make sense?). Some scenes were more or less recreations of the original. Ultimately unsatisfying. Bridges and Lang are ok in their silly roles, Charles Grodan is not so convincing as the opportunistic oil company guy. Pretty peculiar the way Jessica Lang is supposedly turned on by Kong. And the scenes of the natives of skull island are even more cringe worthy in 1976 than they were in 1933.

That's, erm, something. Thanks for taking one for the team. I've only relatively recently seen the original. Am mildly interested in Peter Jackson's remake.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Spotted Horses

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on November 17, 2022, 07:59:26 AM
That's, erm, something. Thanks for taking one for the team. I've only relatively recently seen the original. Am mildly interested in Peter Jackson's remake.

I don't know what format you have the original, but I have a DVD of the 1933 version that has a documentary (by Jackson, I think) detailing how they did all of the special effects in 1933. Fascinating. As a bonus the reproduced the lost "spider pit" scene using 1933 technology.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

LKB

I'd lump PJ'S King Kong into the " watchable but not great " category. Keep expectations moderate and enjoy the in-jokes, would be my suggestion.
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

SonicMan46

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on November 17, 2022, 07:59:26 AM
Quote from: Spotted Horses on November 17, 2022, 08:02:01 AM
I don't know what format you have the original, but I have a DVD of the 1933 version that has a documentary (by Jackson, I think) detailing how they did all of the special effects in 1933. Fascinating. As a bonus the reproduced the lost "spider pit" scene using 1933 technology.
Quote from: LKB on November 17, 2022, 08:10:51 AM
I'd lump PJ'S King Kong into the " watchable but not great " category. Keep expectations moderate and enjoy the in-jokes, would be my suggestion.

The comments above piqued my interest, so looked for some ranked listings - Rotten Tomatoes HERE lists 9 films from 1933 to 2021 - I've seen most of these and own the 3 in bold below (from the link) - never a big fan of the Kong vs. Godzilla movies - the film under question from 1976 w/ Bridges and Lang not well rated - I had avoided the production for decades but did watch last year (Amazon streaming); found Lange rather alluring and Kong the love-struck beast -  :laugh:

Of course, the original is also my favorite for its historic importance (when Ray Harrryhausen saw it as a young teen he apparently found his destination for life -  8)) - I like Peter Jackson's film except for the length, 3+ hrs - would have enjoyed more w/ at least a half hour editing.  Dave :)

QuoteAll King Kong Movies Ranked
#9. King Kong Lives (1986) 0% 16% #9. ...
#8. Son of Kong (1933) 42% 28% #8. ...
#7. King Kong (1976) 52% 31% #7. ...
#6. King Kong vs. Godzilla (1963) 50% 56% ...
#5. King Kong Escapes (1968) 63% 41% #5. ...
#4. Kong: Skull Island (2017) 75% 69% #4. ...
#3. Godzilla vs. Kong (2021) 75% 82% #3...
#2. King Kong (2005) 84% 50% #2...
#1. King Kong (1933) 96% 86% #1...

relm1

Ahh man, that movie spooked me out as a kid so I loved it.  Great music too!

VonStupp

Jurassic World Dominion (2022)
Chris Pratt, Bryce Dallas Howard, Isabella Sermon
Laura Dern, Sam Neill, Jeff Goldblum, BD Wong

VS

Karl Henning

Quote from: VonStupp on November 19, 2022, 06:35:40 AM
Jurassic World Dominion (2022)
Chris Pratt, Bryce Dallas Howard, Isabella Sermon
Laura Dern, Sam Neill, Jeff Goldblum, BD Wong

VS

I've recently thought I should watch the first movie (I've seen lots of bits, not quite the entire flick.) What's your opinion of the franchise and its arc?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

VonStupp

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on November 19, 2022, 06:38:15 AM
I've recently thought I should watch the first movie (I've seen lots of bits, not quite the entire flick.) What's your opinion of the franchise and its arc?

For me they have been disposable popcorn thrillers, and it might depend on how you feel about Chris Pratt actioners. Dumb but fun...

The first was a decent yarn, the 2nd pretty forgettable, and despite unanimous critical grimaces on this third entry, I enjoyed it quite a bit. It bowed pretty low to my sense of nostalgia over the original Jurassic Park.

Of course, aside from these later ones, I never ventured past the first Jurassic Park from the original series.

VS