Last Movie You Watched

Started by Drasko, April 06, 2007, 07:51:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

relm1

I recently saw this and absolutely loved it!  Highly recommended for any sci-fi fans.

Cato

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on December 11, 2022, 01:35:42 PMIt's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World. Liked it so much, I'll watch again before returning this to the library.

Oh my!  I went to Dayton's CINERAMA theater four or five times to watch this, when it ran c. 55 years ago!

Great stuff! 

Is your copy in the SMILEBOX format to imitate the Cinerama experience?

I have a copy of How the West Was Won in that format, and it is really something!
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Karl Henning

Quote from: Cato on December 14, 2022, 05:01:58 PMIs your copy in the SMILEBOX format to imitate the Cinerama experience?
Not sure: Whatever the Criterion Blu-ray may be (thank you, Minuteman Library Network)

TD: John Carpenter's The Fog. I liked this very well, it's a pity I did not go to see it back when it opened in the cinemas. but then, it would not really have been my thing at that time. I amused myself by recognizing the director in a negligible role as the Sexton for the church early on. And although the two of them do not share screen time, mother/daughter, Janet Leigh and Jamie Lee Curtis both star. Color me completely uninterested in the remake.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Cato

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on December 14, 2022, 06:09:03 PMNot sure: Whatever the Criterion Blu-ray may be (thank you, Minuteman Library Network)

Here is an example:

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Todd

Fugitive: The Curious Case of Carlos Ghosn.  Figured I'd take the time to watch the documentary about everyone's favorite jet-setting car company CEO-cum-embezzler.  The tale is well known as Mr Ghosn did not shy away from publicity, and only a few slightly juicy details were revealed.  The style of the film is too cutesy, but otherwise it's an OK watch.  My takeaway is that I do not ever want to get arrested in Japan.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

SonicMan46

The Color of Money (1986) - this time a DVD > HD Amazon upgrade; story below w/ the cast - Newman and Cruise excellent together - not as good as The Hustler (1961) but reviews were decent - Roger Ebert HERE w/ only a 2 1/2*/4* - I'd do a 3*/4*, but the film can drag a bit and maybe Scorsese should have approached it differently?  BUT, if you like the main actors and the 'pool scene' then a recommendation; plus, Paul N. was finally given the Oscar for Best Actor!  Dave :)

QuoteThe Color of Money is an American sports drama film directed by Martin Scorsese. The film from a screenplay by Richard Price, based on the 1984 novel by Walter Tevis. The film stars Paul Newman and Tom Cruise, with Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio, Helen Shaver, and John Turturro in supporting roles. It features an original score by Robbie Robertson. The film continues the story of pool hustler and stakehorse Edward "Fast Eddie" Felson from Tevis's first novel, The Hustler (1959), with Newman reprising his role from the 1961 film adaptation. It begins more than 25 years after the events of the previous film, with Eddie retired from the pool circuit. Newman won the Academy Award for Best Actor for his performance, his first Oscar win after seven nominations.(Source)

vandermolen

The Lost King (about the search for the body of King Richard III)
Entertaining, humorous, uplifting and moving:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on December 16, 2022, 12:40:21 PMThe Lost King (about the search for the body of King Richard III)
Entertaining, humorous, uplifting and moving:

Sounds interesting.  I remember (a while ago) reading that they had found his body under a parking lot.

Who did they interview for this movie?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on December 16, 2022, 01:26:29 PMSounds interesting.  I remember (a while ago) reading that they had found his body under a parking lot.

Who did they interview for this movie?

PD

Philippa Langley is the lady concerned.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Madiel

Quote from: relm1 on December 14, 2022, 04:47:47 PMI recently saw this and absolutely loved it!  Highly recommended for any sci-fi fans.

Yes, it's fun isn't it? Effectively Groundhog Day with aliens, but it works.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Madiel

Last night I watched Snatch (Guy Ritchie film) for about 15 minutes, and then gave up. It was one of those films that was actively saying "I'm fun and I'm quirky, you should be noticing how fun and quirky I am", and it just completely pissed me off because I wasn't finding it especially fun.

I was tempted to continue just because Jason Statham is pretty sexy, but then they kept having him in voiceover rather than on screen so I wasn't going to get even that enjoyment enough to compensate for everything else that was irritating me.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Madiel

Regarding the first Avatar: if you didn't see it in 3-D, you didn't get what all the fuss was about. One of the few films that was actually deliberately designed for 3-D when that was a big fad, and it did pay off. The central third of the film was absolutely something to see in the cinema.

Was it much good apart from that? No, not really. But I was content to have spent my smallish amount of money just for that experience. And might well go see the sequel for similar reasons. Think of it essentially as a nature documentary for a fictional alien planet. You don't expect nature documentaries to have great plots, but you sure do see some amazing stuff.

VonStupp

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on December 13, 2022, 07:15:50 PMSo, now I've finished it up. Won't lie: at one point I paused it to make tea, and realized that there was another hour to go, and I was already a little genre-fatigued. Overall, I'll say I more or less enjoyed it, but could not bear to watch it again.
I get the feeling that Benedict Cumberbatch and Chris Hemsworth are filling the positions left by Robert Downey Jr. and Chris Evans; at least these were the most interesting of the rather disappointing stretch of MCU movies since the last Avengers.

Of course superhero fatigue set in long, long ago. Hopefully the tea was good! ;D

VS
"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Karl Henning

Quote from: VonStupp on December 17, 2022, 05:52:41 AMI get the feeling that Benedict Cumberbatch and Chris Hemsworth are filling the positions left by Robert Downey Jr. and Chris Evans; at least these were the most interesting of the rather disappointing stretch of MCU movies since the last Avengers.

Of course superhero fatigue set in long, long ago. Hopefully the tea was good! ;D

VS
My friend, the tea is always good!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Because I hadn't seen it in a while: Branagh's Hamlet, which I do thoroughly enjoy. I was then primed to watch an old favorite of our'n which likewise, I had somehow neglected overlong: Much Ado About Nothing. We saw this first on VHS, rented (together with a machine to play it) from Blockbuster. 
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Madiel

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on December 17, 2022, 03:22:59 PMBecause I hadn't seen it in a while: Branagh's Hamlet, which I do thoroughly enjoy. I was then primed to watch an old favorite of our'n which likewise, I had somehow neglected overlong: Much Ado About Nothing. We saw this first on VHS, rented (together with a machine to play it) from Blockbuster.

I remember enjoying both but especially Much Ado About Nothing, when Branagh and Emma Thompson were very much an "it" couple.

Madiel

I'm currently watching the first Avatar film, last seen when it was at the cinema.

In 2-D is never going to have quite the same impact, but I'd forgotten how some sequences induce vertigo. But the world is beautiful. So, according to my personal taste, is Sam Worthington...

EDIT: Okay, the second half is as subtle as a brick. It's definitely worse when it goes into full-on battle mode.

Karl Henning

Courtesy of our Cato: The Verdict with Sydney Greenstreet & Peter Lorre.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

SonicMan46

Past week or so, we were watching seasonal movies - I own about a dozen in this not well defined category - over the last week we watched (was lady's choice) the four in bold below and enjoyed - still have 4 days until Christmas so may watch a few more?

Now I've probably seen most (if not nearly all) of these 'holiday films' made over the decades going back to the 1930s, both live and animated (or combos) - could have bought many more but just have the ones that I know we will watch occasionally again. Just googled 'best Christmas films' and numerous lists popped up w/ such variety!  :o   (e.g. the first Die Hard is often included which I own, but would not put in my list despite occurring during the holidays).  Dave :)

QuoteDave's Holiday Films

Christmas Carol, A - George C. Scott et al - 1984
Holiday Inn - Crosby & Astaire - 1942

It's a Wonderful Life - Stewart, Reed, et al - 1946
Little Women - Ryder, Byrne, et al - 1994
Man Who Invented Christmas - Stevens et al - 2017
Meet Me in St. Louis - Garland et al - 1944
Miracle on 34th Street - Wood, O'Hara et al - 1947
Remember the Night - Stanwyck & MacMurray - 1940
Shop Around the Corner - Stewart & Sullavan - 1940
While You Were Sleeping - Bullock, Pullman, et al - 1995
White Christmas - Crosby, Kaye, et al - 1954

Karl Henning

Quote from: SonicMan46 on December 21, 2022, 11:25:56 AM(e.g. the first Die Hard is often included which I own, but would not put in my list despite occurring during the holidays).
Both the first and second (Die Harder) take place at Christmas (and I do enjoy watching them in this season) but I have no quarrel with not considering them Christmas movies as such. 
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA