Last Movie You Watched

Started by Drasko, April 06, 2007, 07:51:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SonicMan46

More video upgrades this week - Westerner, DVD-R > Amazon HD; Hell..., DVD > BD:

The Westerner (1940) - short synopsis below (much more at the link) - Brennan's memorable role as the true life Judge Roy Bean although the ending is fictitious - third Best Supporting Actor Oscar for Walter B. - recommended.

To Hell and Back (1955) - docudrama of the most decorated US soldier in WW II, Audie Murphy (1924-1971) - short summary below - mixed reviews discussed in the link, but I'd do a 4*/5* - he did a great job playing himself (of course he had acted in over a dozen films by then) - he was killed in a plane crash near Roanoke, Virginia (a couple of hours drive from my home).  Dave :)

QuoteThe Westerner is an American Western film directed by William Wyler and starring Gary Cooper, Walter Brennan and Doris Davenport. Written by Niven Busch et al, the film concerns a self-appointed hanging judge in Vinegaroon, Texas, who befriends a saddle tramp who opposes the judge's policy against homesteaders. The film is remembered for Walter Brennan's performance as Judge Roy Bean, for which he won his record-setting third Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor. (Source)

QuoteTo Hell and Back is a Technicolor and CinemaScope war film released in 1955. It was directed by Jesse Hibbs and stars Audie Murphy as himself. It is based on the 1949 autobiography of the same name and is an account of Murphy's World War II experiences as a soldier in the U.S. Army. The book was ghostwritten by his friend, David "Spec" McClure, who served in the U.S. Army's Signal Corps during World War II. (Source)

aligreto

The Banshees of Inisherin:

This is not, in truth, a very recent watch. There is quite the amount of hyperbole surrounding the release of this Irish film. It is very well made and acted and much has been said and written about the performances of both of the male actors Colin Farrell and Brendan Gleeson.
However, for me, the star performance in terms of acting was undoubtedly Kerry Condon in the role of the sister. She delivered an excellent performance throughout the film. She typifies the strong Irish woman character. For me, she is the glue that binds everything together, just as Irish women tend to do.
I do not, however, understand how well the cultural subtleties of the psyche and intricacies of the plot of the film will travel or even be understood by any foreign audience.

relm1

The Battle of Britain.  Practically every great British actor.  Laurence Olivier, Ralph Richardson, Trevor Howard, Michael Caine, Robert Shaw, Christopher Plummer (yes I know he's not English, but Canadian) etc.  Crazy that all the aerial combat scenes were real.  All directed by famous '60's bond director, Guy Hamilton, who directed Goldfinger, Diamonds are Forever, and many other great bond films. 

Papy Oli

Quote from: aligreto on February 04, 2023, 11:41:56 AMThe Banshees of Inisherin:

This is not, in truth, a very recent watch. There is quite the amount of hyperbole surrounding the release of this Irish film. It is very well made and acted and much has been said and written about the performances of both of the male actors Colin Farrell and Brendan Gleeson.
However, for me, the star performance in terms of acting was undoubtedly Kerry Condon in the role of the sister. She delivered an excellent performance throughout the film. She typifies the strong Irish woman character. For me, she is the glue that binds everything together, just as Irish women tend to do.
I do not, however, understand how well the cultural subtleties of the psyche and intricacies of the plot of the film will travel or even be understood by any foreign audience.

Interesting perspective.

Added to @Madiel 's and @absolutelybaching 's earlier comments about the sheer bleakness of the movie, that will need to be a viewing while being in the right mood and attention.

Personally, I hope Amazon Prime supplies subtitles for this one, otherwise, if the titbits I have seen are anything to go by, it will be like spending 2 hours in a dark room alone with those rowing brothers of Skibbereen.

I'd be feck'd...  ;D  ;D
Olivier

aligreto

Quote from: Papy Oli on February 05, 2023, 01:24:57 AMInteresting perspective.

Added to @Madiel 's and @absolutelybaching 's earlier comments about the sheer bleakness of the movie, that will need to be a viewing while being in the right mood and attention.

Personally, I hope Amazon Prime supplies subtitles for this one, otherwise, if the titbits I have seen are anything to go by, it will be like spending 2 hours in a dark room alone with those rowing brothers of Skibbereen.

I'd be feck'd...  ;D  ;D

Yes, definitely a mood film, Olivier. Approaching it in the right frame of mind will certainly help with one's appreciation of it. It is enjoyable though.

Madiel

Enjoyable is a strong word...

I think it's a very good film. I just wouldn't use that word for the emotional responses it triggered.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

aligreto

Quote from: Madiel on February 05, 2023, 04:56:54 AMI just wouldn't use that word for the emotional responses it triggered.

...for you.
I enjoyed it.
Cultural differences obviously.

pjme

Quote from: aligreto on February 04, 2023, 11:41:56 AMThe Banshees of Inisherin:

???
The Banshees of Inisherin isn't an "easy" film, but the story told I found neither impenetrable or cryptic. The film is doing quite well in the Low Countries.
Without sinking into melancholy, this wry comedy talks about what can make everyday life worth living. The film is about lingering routine and how friendships can be subject to "wear".
All actors are very good, but Barry Keoghan, who broke through next to Farrell in The killing of a sacred deer, is exquisite in the role of an (all too honest) simpleton.
As mentioned earlier, I liked the subtle musical score (almost fairy tale, childish "tintinabuling") a lot.

ritter

Another Italian film from the 50s, Alberto Lattuada's La Spiaggia ("The Beach"). This was included among the "100 Italian films to be saved" list compiled in 2008 by the Venice Festival.

A lachrymose melodrama about a prostitute who vacations with her daughter in a luxury resort, only to face hostility when she is found out. The film tries to give an acerbic view on social hypocrisy, and the bittersweet denouement is a bit abrupt.

What it really resembles is the lush melodramas of Douglas Sirk (also in terms of "look and feel"), but it is worth noting that it is from 1954, when Sirk was only starting his string of movies of that sort, and also long before the German-American director's work was being critically reappraised —initially by Cahiers du Cinéma in 1967–.

Not sure this film really deserves to be among the "100 to be saved"... ::)

aligreto

Quote from: pjme on February 05, 2023, 06:18:56 AM???
The Banshees of Inisherin isn't an "easy" film, but the story told I found neither impenetrable or cryptic. The film is doing quite well in the Low Countries.
Without sinking into melancholy, this wry comedy talks about what can make everyday life worth living. The film is about lingering routine and how friendships can be subject to "wear".
All actors are very good, but Barry Keoghan, who broke through next to Farrell in The killing of a sacred deer, is exquisite in the role of an (all too honest) simpleton.
As mentioned earlier, I liked the subtle musical score (almost fairy tale, childish "tintinabuling") a lot.

I very much agree with your assessment of the film with regard to "how friendships can be subject to "wear".  Some friendships can even eventually become toxic.
I also agree with your assessment of Barry Keoghan in his "exquisite in the role of an (all too honest) simpleton". His was also a very fine performance amongst all of the others'. 

Madiel

Quote from: aligreto on February 05, 2023, 05:23:36 AM...for you.
I enjoyed it.
Cultural differences obviously.

Or, you know, we could just be individual people.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

aligreto

Yes, thankfully, there is that.  ;)

SonicMan46

Any Tyrone Power (1914-1958) fans here?  :D

Power made about 50 films (LIST) - I own only a half dozen w/ favorites being The Mark of Zorro (1940) and The Long Gray Line (1955) - so added some more a DVD-R > HD streamer & a physical BD:

The Rains Came (1939) w/ Power, Myrna Loy, George Brent et al - short summary below - although Tyrone is dressed in Indian garb be doesn't look like a native, but typical of the era - one of the best parts of the film is the earthquake and floods which earned the first 'Special Effects Oscar' and worth a watch for that reason.

Rawhide (1951) w/ Power and Susan Hayward - western action at a stagecoach way station w/ some beautiful scenery - the two stars have a nice 'chemistry' together - if you're a fan of the actors and like westerns then recommended - worth a watch just for Jack Elam's performance.  Dave  :)

QuoteIn 1938, Lady Edwina Esketh (Myrna Loy) is a British aristocrat living in India with her crude husband, Lord Esketh (Nigel Bruce). At a lavish party, Edwina is reunited with the womanizing Tom Ransome (George Brent), an old flame who tries to rekindle their relationship. Edwina, however, has her sights set on Major Rama Safti (Tyrone Power), a handsome Indian doctor committed to helping the poor. But after Rama falls for Edwina, a widespread plague threatens their relationship. (Source)
QuoteRawhide is a Western film produced by Twentieth Century-Fox. It was directed by Henry Hathaway and produced by Samuel G. Engel from a screenplay by Dudley Nichols. The music score was by Sol Kaplan and the song "A Rollin' Stone" by Lionel Newman. The cinematography was by Milton R. Krasner. The film stars Tyrone Power and Susan Hayward with Hugh Marlowe, Dean Jagger, Edgar Buchanan, Jack Elam and George Tobias. (Source)

SonicMan46

Last night, SWAMBO's choice:

The In-Laws (1979) w/ Falk & Arkin in one of the funniest films of the era (synopsis below) - own the Criterion BD which is a superb restoration.  BTW, the scene below is where Arkin learns the so-called 'serpentine' movement to escape being shot -  ;D   Highly recommended - Dave

QuoteMild-mannered dentist Sheldon Kornpett (Alan Arkin) is uncomfortable with his daughter's marriage after meeting her future father-in-law, Vincent Ricardo (Peter Falk). Over dinner, Vince tells Sheldon about several of his intercontinental exploits, and Sheldon is concerned that Vince is not altogether what he seems. His suspicions are confirmed when Vince reveals that he's actually a CIA agent investigating an international counterfeiting plot, and that he will need Sheldon's help. (Source)

Karl Henning

Quote from: SonicMan46 on February 07, 2023, 08:04:45 AMLast night, SWAMBO's choice:

The In-Laws (1979) w/ Falk & Arkin in one of the funniest films of the era (synopsis below) - own the Criterion BD which is a superb restoration.  BTW, the scene below is where Arkin learns the so-called 'serpentine' movement to escape being shot -  ;D  Highly recommended - Dave

Superb!

TD: Another viewing of Twelve Angry Men.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

aligreto

Persuasion:

This is a very modern take on a period presentation of Austen's novel. It takes the subject matter of the novel and presents it in a very light and entertaining way. It is never stuffy or boring in the least as I find the matchmaking of that genre of novel to be. The film takes a wonderful approach and, for me, transforms the tale into something interesting, appealing and engaging. Dakota Johnson was simply excellent in the main role.

SonicMan46

Quote from: aligreto on February 08, 2023, 05:38:15 AMPersuasion:

This is a very modern take on a period presentation of Austen's novel. It takes the subject matter of the novel and presents it in a very light and entertaining way. It is never stuffy or boring in the least as I find the matchmaking of that genre of novel to be. The film takes a wonderful approach and, for me, transforms the tale into something interesting, appealing and engaging. Dakota Johnson was simply excellent in the main role.

Hi Fergus - I've not seen a version of this movie adaption of Austen's novel (may have read it in my teens?) - inserted above is the 1995 version and HERE are reviews and a comparison of 3 different takes - the reviewer seems to like the '95 film the best as closest to the original novel, but enjoyed the recent Netflix production takes some 'liberties' w/ the book but as you suggest is quite enjoyable - may have to watch both?  :D   Dave

DavidW

I rewatched Hot Shots last weekend which I had not seen since I was a kid.  It was good to see Charlie Sheen before he lost the plot.  I like those kind of stupid spoof comedies that were so popular back then.

aligreto

Quote from: SonicMan46 on February 08, 2023, 06:54:44 AMHi Fergus - I've not seen a version of this movie adaption of Austen's novel (may have read it in my teens?) - inserted above is the 1995 version and HERE are reviews and a comparison of 3 different takes - the reviewer seems to like the '95 film the best as closest to the original novel, but enjoyed the recent Netflix production takes some 'liberties' w/ the book but as you suggest is quite enjoyable - may have to watch both?  :D   Dave

Cheers Dave. I have not seen any of the other films but I can certainly recommend the latest version particularly for, as mentioned, Johnson's performances.

SimonNZ

The 95 Persuasion with Amanda Root is probably the best Austen adaptation I've seen. The 2007 with Sally Hawkins suffered in comparison,imo, especially with the odd choice of having the ending Austen had discarded.

Thanks for the heads-ip that there's a new version.