Last Movie You Watched

Started by Drasko, April 06, 2007, 07:51:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

relm1

Yesterday, I saw "Sink the Bismarck!" (1960).  I liked it better than 49th Parallel as a movie.  Uniquely, this movie doesn't dwell on the drama on the ships but more about the backroom efforts to track it down.  There is a minor romantic subplot and the captain feared the loss of his son which came across as sincere.  I think the story itself is better than the film perhaps because it sought to focus so much more on the backroom meetings, I think one of the most important aspects of the story is the Bismarck crew knew they were doomed and preemptively received a message thanking them for their sacrifice, but nothing would be done to help them. The film makes no mention of the final hours of doom or what it must have been like to know you were about to meet your end.  True most of that would have been speculative but the romantic subplot and captain's character were already fictional.  Adding an interesting historical gravitas was a few commentaries by the broadcaster, Edward R Marrow playing himself. 

SonicMan46

Quote from: relm1 on June 05, 2023, 05:51:26 AMYesterday, I saw "Sink the Bismarck!" (1960).  I liked it better than 49th Parallel as a movie.  Uniquely, this movie doesn't dwell on the drama on the ships but more about the backroom efforts to track it down.  There is a minor romantic subplot and the captain feared the loss of his son which came across as sincere.  I think the story itself is better than the film perhaps because it sought to focus so much more on the backroom meetings, I think one of the most important aspects of the story is the Bismarck crew knew they were doomed and preemptively received a message thanking them for their sacrifice, but nothing would be done to help them. The film makes no mention of the final hours of doom or what it must have been like to know you were about to meet your end.  True most of that would have been speculative but the romantic subplot and captain's character were already fictional.  Adding an interesting historical gravitas was a few commentaries by the broadcaster, Edward R Marrow playing himself. 

Enjoy that films, but not in my collection (would buy an Amazon HD version but not available at the moment - also love Johnny Horton's song on the topic which was suppose to be the 'theme song' of the movie but was left out (more below and at the link).  Dave :)

P.S. Dana Wynter in a uniform adds some sparkle to a war film -  :D  8)

QuoteSinger Johnny Horton's Sink the Bismarck was a major hit when released in 1960. What many people don't realize is that the song was commissioned as the theme song for the film of the same name that was released the same year. It's pretty obvious why it wasn't used in the final cut of the movie: Horton specialized in catchy novelty songs with a country western theme. The film, directed by Lewis Gilbert and starring Kenneth More, was notable for its ultra-realistic take on the British pursuit of the infamous German battleship. As good as Horton's theme was, it would have been completely out of place in the film. Interestingly, if you have the DVD of the movie, check out the bonus trailer - it features snippets of Horton's song, indicating that the decision to cut it was made at the last minute. (Source)

SonicMan46

Couple of Kirk Douglas films now in my collection as Amazon HD streamers:

The Man from Snowy River (1982) w/ Douglas in a dual 'twin' role - synopsis below - the scenery, especially with the horses is one of the best parts of the movie for me, and I do like Kirk as the Spur character.  Ratings: 85%, Rotten Tomatoes; 7.2, IMDB - recommended if the plot and characters are of interest. 

Lust for Life (1956) - biopic on Vincent van Gogh the post-impressionistic artist - a favorite of ours - amazing that his paintings in his life time went for 'peanuts' but "The Starry Night painting, highly esteemed for decades has reached $100 million, following its $50 million sale in 1990. (Source)". Summary and awards below - a must see if a fan of this era of art.  Dave :)

QuoteThe Man from Snowy River is an Australian Western drama film based on the poem "The Man from Snowy River". The cast included Kirk Douglas in a dual role as the brothers Harrison  and Spur, Jack Thompson as Clancy, Tom Burlinson as Jim Craig, Sigrid Thornton as Harrison's daughter Jessica, and Terence Donovan as Jim's father Henry Craig. Both Burlinson and Thornton later reprised their roles in the 1988 sequel, The Man from Snowy River II. The 1988 sequel film was later released in the United States by Walt Disney Pictures under the title Return to Snowy River. (Source)

QuoteLust for Life is an American biographical film about the life of the Dutch painter Vincent van Gogh, based on the 1934 novel of the same title by Irving Stone which was adapted for the screen by Norman Corwin. It was directed by Vincente Minnelli and produced by John Houseman. The film stars Kirk Douglas as Van Gogh, James Donald as his brother Theo, with Pamela Brown, Everett Sloane, and Anthony Quinn. Douglas won the Golden Globe Award for Best Actor in a Motion Picture – Drama and the New York Film Critics Circle Award for Best Actor for his performance, while Quinn won the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor. (Source)

VonStupp

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (1954)
Kirk Douglas, James Mason, Peter Lorre

My youngest has a recent fascination with giant squids. Thought I would try this.

Apparently, between Dave and I, it is Kirk Douglas day. KD sings one small song, which I think I had on a 45.
VS

"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Karl Henning

Quote from: VonStupp on June 06, 2023, 12:23:29 PM20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (1954)

My youngest has a recent fascination with giant squids. Thought I would try this.

Apparently, between Dave and I, it is Kirk Douglas day. KD sings one small song, which I think I had on a 45.
VS

I may never have seen this. I'm kinda curious ....
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

SonicMan46

Quote from: VonStupp on June 06, 2023, 12:23:29 PM20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (1954)

VS

Quote from: Karl Henning on June 06, 2023, 12:36:57 PMI may never have seen this. I'm kinda curious ....

Karl - worth a watch; late last year I streamed the film from the Disney+ service (using my son's login but don't tell -  :o  8) ); so donated my old DVD.  Dave

VonStupp

Quote from: SonicMan46 on June 06, 2023, 12:54:54 PMKarl - worth a watch; late last year I streamed the film from the Disney+ service (using my son's login but don't tell -  :o  8) ); so donated my old DVD.  Dave

Indeed. The underwater sequence is surprisingly good looking too.

I was thinking Captain Nemo could easily have been a James Bond villain here, but I think that would be identical to the plot line of Karl Stromberg from The Spy Who Loved Me.
VS

Karl Henning

Quote from: VonStupp on June 06, 2023, 01:00:18 PMIndeed.

I was thinking Captain Nemo could easily have been a James Bond villain here, but I think that would be identical to the plot line of Karl Stromberg from The Spy Who Loved Me.
VS

Now I want to see Kirk Douglas as "Jaws."
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

VonStupp

brewski

Mission: Impossible — Rogue Nation (2015, dir. Christopher McQuarrie) - Highly entertaining, even if I'm not likely to seek it out again. Most fun for classical music fans: a long sequence in the Vienna Opera House during a production of Turandot, with assassins seeking to kill the Austrian chancellor.

Not a big Tom Cruise fan (though he stars in one of my all-time favorite movies, Minority Report), but he's an agreeable presence—gets the job done. Like the other Mission Impossible films, this one has uncompromising action and special effects, and excellent supporting cast members, e.g., Simon Pegg.

-Bruce

"I set down a beautiful chord on paper—and suddenly it rusts."
—Alfred Schnittke (1934-1998)

drogulus

A Fairey Swordfish flew from the Ark Royal and torpedoed the Bismarck, jamming the rudder so it could only steam in a circle at about 10 kts. If not for that the battleship could have reached Brest where it could have joined Scharnhorst and Gneisenau.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Karl Henning

Quote from: brewski on June 06, 2023, 01:23:37 PMNot a big Tom Cruise fan (though he stars in one of my all-time favorite movies, Minority Report)
Big fan of Minority Report!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

brewski

Quote from: Karl Henning on June 06, 2023, 01:40:49 PMBig fan of Minority Report!

Yay, it really is a marvelous movie—one of Spielberg's best—and one of the great sci-fi films. I've seen it now 3-4 times, and it only gets better. The opening sequence, with the pre-crime unit invading a home to stop what they think is a murder in progress, is a textbook example of spectacular film editing.

-Bruce
"I set down a beautiful chord on paper—and suddenly it rusts."
—Alfred Schnittke (1934-1998)

Karl Henning

Quote from: SonicMan46 on June 06, 2023, 11:14:34 AMCouple of Kirk Douglas films now in my collection as Amazon HD streamers:

The Man from Snowy River (1982) w/ Douglas in a dual 'twin' role - synopsis below - the scenery, especially with the horses is one of the best parts of the movie for me, and I do like Kirk as the Spur character.  Ratings: 85%, Rotten Tomatoes; 7.2, IMDB - recommended if the plot and characters are of interest. 

Lust for Life (1956) - biopic on Vincent van Gogh the post-impressionistic artist - a favorite of ours - amazing that his paintings in his life time went for 'peanuts' but "The Starry Night painting, highly esteemed for decades has reached $100 million, following its $50 million sale in 1990. (Source)". Summary and awards below - a must see if a fan of this era of art.  Dave :)

While it's Kirk Douglas Day, Dave, are you a fan of Letter to Three Wives?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: Karl Henning on June 04, 2023, 05:12:20 PMDVD 1: Portrait of Alberto Ginastera
DVD 2: A Master Class with Barbara Nissman

Danzas argentinas
Three Piano Sonatas
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

SonicMan46

Quote from: Karl Henning on June 06, 2023, 03:24:36 PMWhile it's Kirk Douglas Day, Dave, are you a fan of Letter to Three Wives?

Hey Karl - not sure if I ever saw the film but bought the Amazon HD after looking at reviews; Susan and I watched tonight and really enjoyed - thanks for the recommendation!  Dave :)

SonicMan46

Quote from: SonicMan46 on June 06, 2023, 07:05:06 PMHey Karl - not sure if I ever saw the film but bought the Amazon HD after looking at reviews; Susan and I watched tonight and really enjoyed - thanks for the recommendation!  Dave :)
A Letter to Three Wives (1949) - as above a Karl recommendation - summary and cast below - we really enjoyed the film - ratings: 4*/4*, Leonard Maltin; 4 Bones/4, VideoHound; 95%, Rotten Tomatoes; 7.7/10, IMDB.  Two thumbs up!  Dave :)

QuoteA Letter to Three Wives is an American romantic comedy-drama which tells the story of a woman who mails a letter to three women, telling them she has left town with the husband of one of them, but not saying which one. It stars Jeanne Crain, Linda Darnell, Ann Sothern, Paul Douglas, Kirk Douglas, and Jeffrey Lynn. Thelma Ritter as "Sadie" and Celeste Holm (the voice of "Addie Ross", the unseen woman who wrote the letter) are both uncredited. The film was written for the screen by Joseph L. Mankiewicz from A Letter to Five Wives, a story by John Klempner that appeared in Cosmopolitan, based on a 1945 novel by Klempner. It was directed by Mankiewicz. The film won the Academy Awards for Best Director and the Best Adapted Screenplay and was nominated for Best Picture. (Source)

Papy Oli

At long last, I was in the right frame of mind for a first viewing of Schindler's List.

Dramatic and incredible story, even if I was somewhat perplexed at times by the portrayal of some characters' evolution or interactions.

Also attempted a viewing of Birdman with Michael Keaton and Edward Norton. Lasted 30 min before I gave up.

Olivier

SonicMan46

Quote from: Papy Oli on June 07, 2023, 08:48:59 AMAt long last, I was in the right frame of mind for a first viewing of Schindler's List.

Dramatic and incredible story, even if I was somewhat perplexed at times by the portrayal of some characters' evolution or interactions.

Also attempted a viewing of Birdman with Michael Keaton and Edward Norton. Lasted 30 min before I gave up.

Love Schindler's List - own a 4K-UHD physical disc which has a 5*/5* video and audio rating HERE, for those who may be in the market?  However, my wife grew up Jewish and has a dislike for Nazis -  ;D  - so, I need to watch on my own - also, saw Birdman in the theater pre-COVID but cannot remember much although I never was interested in purchasing the film.  Dave :)

LKB

I can't let Kirk Douglas Day go by without recommending Seven Days in May:

https://a.co/d/3Zss8PP

Strong performances with a screenplay by Rod Serling. The plot used to come off as somewhat farfetched, but since 1/6/21... not so much.
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...