Last Movie You Watched

Started by Drasko, April 06, 2007, 07:51:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Quote from: LKB on June 07, 2023, 05:01:26 PMI can't let Kirk Douglas Day go by without recommending Seven Days in May:

https://a.co/d/3Zss8PP

Strong performances with a screenplay by Rod Serling. The plot used to come off as somewhat farfetched, but since 1/6/21... not so much.
Thanks for raising this. I keep forgetting about it.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Quote from: SonicMan46 on June 06, 2023, 07:05:06 PMHey Karl - not sure if I ever saw the film but bought the Amazon HD after looking at reviews; Susan and I watched tonight and really enjoyed - thanks for the recommendation!  Dave :)

Delighted (albeit not surprised ;) that you enjoyed it so, Dave!

Quote from: Papy Oli on June 07, 2023, 08:48:59 AMAt long last, I was in the right frame of mind for a first viewing of Schindler's List.

Dramatic and incredible story, even if I was somewhat perplexed at times by the portrayal of some characters' evolution or interactions.

Also attempted a viewing of Birdman with Michael Keaton and Edward Norton. Lasted 30 min before I gave up.
Schindler's List is truly magnificent! I like Birdman very well, indeed.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

relm1

Quote from: LKB on June 07, 2023, 05:01:26 PMI can't let Kirk Douglas Day go by without recommending Seven Days in May:

https://a.co/d/3Zss8PP

Strong performances with a screenplay by Rod Serling. The plot used to come off as somewhat farfetched, but since 1/6/21... not so much.

Never heard of it but it hits a lot of checkboxes.

* Rod Serling: Check
* Kirk Douglas: Check
* Burt Lancaster: Check
* Political turmoil and intrigue: Check

LKB

Quote from: relm1 on June 08, 2023, 05:32:26 AMNever heard of it but it hits a lot of checkboxes.

* Rod Serling: Check
* Kirk Douglas: Check
* Burt Lancaster: Check
* Political turmoil and intrigue: Check

It's not a perfect film. Ava Gardner is under-utilized, and I've always felt that one of the military roles was somewhat miscast. But it remains relevant nearly sixty years on, and the actors clearly believed in it.
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Karl Henning

Quote from: LKB on June 08, 2023, 06:23:34 AMIt's not a perfect film. Ava Gardner is under-utilized, and I've always felt that one of the military roles was somewhat miscast. But it remains relevant nearly sixty years on, and the actors clearly believed in it.
I feel somewhat similarly about Carol for Another Christmas: not perfect, but many virtues.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Peyton Place.
Gotta admit, I  came back for the feel-good ending.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

SonicMan46

Replacing old physical discs with Amazon HD streamers (if 10 bucks or less) - last few nights:

Murder, My Sweet (1944) - description and cast below - one of the films that started the 'film noir' genre; now "Double Indemnity" is the better movie, but this one rated 94% on Rotten Tomatoes and 3 1/2*/4* by Leonard Maltin - worth a watch if you like these productions.

Mrs. Miniver (1942) - second quote for synopsis and cast; nominated for 12 Oscars, winning 6 including 'Best Picture' - highly recommended!

The Outlaw Josey Wales (1976) - last quote for summary and cast - I've had this film since  VHS days - looks great on Amazon HD - own many Eastwood films but this one has remained a favorite (never tire of Sandra Locke's 'butt scene' -  :D ) Dave :)

QuoteMurder, My Sweet is a 1944 American film noir, directed by Edward Dmytryk and starring Dick Powell, Claire Trevor and Anne Shirley. The film is based on Raymond Chandler's 1940 novel Farewell, My Lovely. It was the first film to feature Chandler's primary character, the hard-boiled private detective Philip Marlowe. Murder, My Sweet is, along with Double Indemnity (released five months prior), one of the first films noirs, and a key influence in the development of the genre. (Source)

QuoteMrs. Miniver is an American romantic war drama film directed by William Wyler, and starring Greer Garson and Walter Pidgeon. Inspired by the 1940 novel Mrs. Miniver by Jan Struther, about the life of an unassuming British housewife in rural England is affected by World War II. Produced by MGM; supporting cast includes Teresa Wright, Dame May Whitty, Reginald Owen, Henry Travers, Richard Ney and Henry Wilcoxon. It was a critical and a commercial success, becoming the highest-grossing film of 1942 and winning six Academy Awards, including Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actress (Garson), and Best Supporting Actress (Teresa Wright). (Source)

QuoteThe Outlaw Josey Wales is a 1976 American Revisionist Western film set during and after the American Civil War.[3] It was directed by and starred Clint Eastwood (as Josey Wales), with Chief Dan George, Sondra Locke, Sam Bottoms, and Geraldine Keams.[4][5] The film tells the story of Josey Wales, a Missouri farmer whose family is murdered by Union militants during the Civil War. Driven to revenge, Wales joins a Confederate guerrilla band and makes a name for himself as a feared gunfighter. After the war, all the fighters in Wales' group except for him surrender to Union officers, but they end up being massacred. Wales becomes an outlaw and is pursued by bounty hunters and Union soldiers as he tries to make a new life for himself. (Source)

71 dB

LE CASSE - THE BURGLARS (Henri Verneuil, 1971) German Blu-ray release, English version: 114 mins.

This looked like a nice movie from the early 70's. For nostalgic reasons, and because the "hectic" movies of today needs to be balanced with older "give things time" movies, I try to discover/collect nice movies from the past (especially 70's and 80's) I like. Well, I liked this a lot! Good relaxing directing and Ennio Morricone's music. Nice witty action and charismatic acting. I like movies that have about 10 scenes each lasting 10-15 minutes instead of 100 scenes each lasting only 1-2 minutes. Give more time and create meaning. Give less time and lose meaning.

Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW track "Dreaming"

brewski

Looking forward to these two next week, thanks to Martin Scorsese's Film Foundation, which has monthly screenings of films that the foundation has restored. Register free here, and watch any time within 72 hours, starting Monday, June 12.

Hellfire (1949, dir. R.G. Springsteen)
Wake of the Red Witch (1948, dir. Edward Ludwig)

I've not seen either one. Comments welcome!

Coming in July, two versions of The Killers (1946 and 1964, dir. Robert Siodmak and Don Siegel, respectively), available with registration here. Haven't seen these either.

-Bruce
"I set down a beautiful chord on paper—and suddenly it rusts."
—Alfred Schnittke (1934-1998)

Karl Henning

Quote from: brewski on June 09, 2023, 09:17:32 AMComing in July, two versions of The Killers (1946 and 1964, dir. Robert Siodmak and Don Siegel, respectively), available with registration here. Haven't seen these either
the '64 remake was Reagan's last film role, and Siegel had to cajole him into it. Perhaps as he was eyeing a future in politics, Reagan didn't want to play a "heavy."
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Hat-tip to @LKB Seven Days in May.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: Karl Henning on June 09, 2023, 05:10:28 PMHat-tip to @LKB Seven Days in May.
I really enjoyed this. Score by Jerry Goldsmith, too.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

LKB

Quote from: Karl Henning on June 09, 2023, 09:07:03 PMI really enjoyed this. Score by Jerry Goldsmith, too.

Glad you enjoyed it, Karl.  8)

It's an interesting score, and you probably won't hear that many different drums opening a film anywhere else. ( Oliver Stone's JFK has prominent drums as well, but they're used differently. )
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Karl Henning

Quote from: George on May 24, 2023, 05:15:53 PMJohn Wick 4 - Disappointing. Not as bad as 3, but not as good as 1 and 2.
Watching Chapter 2 now.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Daverz

Quote from: George on May 24, 2023, 05:15:53 PMJohn Wick 4 - Disappointing. Not as bad as 3, but not as good as 1 and 2.

I wish I could get that time back.  I've got some bare walls to stare at that would have been time better spent.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Karl Henning on June 10, 2023, 04:35:38 PMWatching Chapter 2 now.
I should have known Laurence Fishburne, but had to be reminded by the closing credits. Disappointed that Wick's solution at the end was a violation of house rules. Much more disappointed that they so baldly set up a sequel. 
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: Daverz on June 10, 2023, 05:39:32 PMI wish I could get that time back.  I've got some bare walls to stare at that would have been time better spent.
Well, no one can fail to understand my hesitancy to watch even the second.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Madiel

Quote from: Karl Henning on May 29, 2023, 07:06:00 PMWell, if I had seen this in the theatre, I expect I should have cried.

I saw Saving Private Ryan at the cinema and it traumatised me a bit. GOOD, but I just found that long, long opening D-Day sequence more than I could handle. I remember going for a meal or coffee with my parents afterwards (we'd seen the movie together) and not being able to shake it off.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Madiel

Quote from: Papy Oli on June 07, 2023, 08:48:59 AMAt long last, I was in the right frame of mind for a first viewing of Schindler's List.

Dramatic and incredible story, even if I was somewhat perplexed at times by the portrayal of some characters' evolution or interactions.

Also attempted a viewing of Birdman with Michael Keaton and Edward Norton. Lasted 30 min before I gave up.

Birdman is definitely one of those films not to everyone's tastes. I loved it. I remember my parents said they hated it...
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Madiel

Quote from: SonicMan46 on June 06, 2023, 11:14:34 AMCouple of Kirk Douglas films now in my collection as Amazon HD streamers:

The Man from Snowy River (1982) w/ Douglas in a dual 'twin' role - synopsis below - the scenery, especially with the horses is one of the best parts of the movie for me, and I do like Kirk as the Spur character.  Ratings: 85%, Rotten Tomatoes; 7.2, IMDB - recommended if the plot and characters are of interest. 

Lust for Life (1956) - biopic on Vincent van Gogh the post-impressionistic artist - a favorite of ours - amazing that his paintings in his life time went for 'peanuts' but "The Starry Night painting, highly esteemed for decades has reached $100 million, following its $50 million sale in 1990. (Source)". Summary and awards below - a must see if a fan of this era of art.  Dave :)

The Man from Snowy River is very much a part of Australian culture, though to be honest I'm not sure if I've ever seen it in full. I wasn't really the right age when it came out.

However... nobody here would ever label it as a Kirk Douglas film!