Last Movie You Watched

Started by Drasko, April 06, 2007, 07:51:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimonNZ

And for once I thought Lea Seydoux was a good casting choice and did a good job.

DavidW

Quote from: SimonNZ on April 05, 2024, 05:04:04 PMAnd for once I thought Lea Seydoux was a good casting choice and did a good job.

I liked her too in that role, thought I was the only one.

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on April 05, 2024, 08:56:46 AMI remember hearing about that film and being intrigued by the way that the film was presented.  Did you see it in the theatre Irons or watch it online?

PD

I watched online, PD.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

SonicMan46

Forbidden Planet (1956) - one of the greats from the '50s sci-fi era; cast below including the young and beautiful Anne Francis in fancy 'bathing suit' type outfits (her addition likely kept the dads in the audience interested -  ;D ). Some 'firsts' below and much more at the link; purchased as a HD streamer - colors are gorgeous, widescreen, great detail, and eerie electronic music.  A MUST SEE if never viewed.  Dave

QuoteForbidden Planet is a 1956 American science fiction film from MGM, directed by Fred M. Wilcox based on an original film story by Allen Adler and Irving Block. It stars Walter Pidgeon, Anne Francis, and Leslie Nielsen. Shot in Eastmancolor and CinemaScope, it is considered one of the great science fiction films of the 1950s. The characters and isolated setting have been compared to those in William Shakespeare's The Tempest. The film pioneered several aspects of science fiction cinema. It was the first sci-fi film to depict humans traveling in a man-made faster-than-light starship, and also the first to be set entirely on a planet orbiting another star, far away from Earth and the Solar System. Robby the Robot is one of the first film robots that was more than just a mechanical "tin can" on legs; Robby displays a distinct personality and is an integral supporting character in the film. Outside science fiction, the film was groundbreaking as the first of any genre to use an entirely electronic musical score. (Source)

relm1

Quote from: SonicMan46 on April 06, 2024, 07:23:28 AMForbidden Planet (1956) - one of the greats from the '50s sci-fi era; cast below including the young and beautiful Anne Francis in fancy 'bathing suit' type outfits (her addition likely kept the dads in the audience interested -  ;D ). Some 'firsts' below and much more at the link; purchased as a HD streamer - colors are gorgeous, widescreen, great detail, and eerie electronic music.  A MUST SEE if never viewed.  Dave

Wow, she's a knockout.  That score is still so spooky!

George

Enjoyed an old favorite today.

"We're all just polishing brass on the Titanic."
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Cato

Quote from: SonicMan46 on April 06, 2024, 07:23:28 AMForbidden Planet (1956) - one of the greats from the '50s sci-fi era; cast below including the young and beautiful Anne Francis in fancy 'bathing suit' type outfits (her addition likely kept the dads in the audience interested -  ;D ). Some 'firsts' below and much more at the link; purchased as a HD streamer - colors are gorgeous, widescreen, great detail, and eerie electronic music.  A MUST SEE if never viewed.  Dave

Forbidden Planet is an all-around fave! 

"Id! Id! Id! Id! Id!"   :o
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

T. D.

I liked this. Held my interest for over 2-1/2 hours. There are an awful lot of short talking head interviews, some of which are annoying or uninformative, and many of the subtitles (of Italian interviews) that run over B/W film clips are hard to read. But the overall package worked for me.

Roasted Swan

QuoteMoby Dick (1956) w/ Gregory Peck, Richard Basehart et al; directed by John Huston, co-writer of the screen play w/ Ray Bradbury (more below) - just purchased in HD on Amazon - film in color and 1.66 aspect ratio (looked great on my HDTV). Specials good for the '50s (lot of detail in the link) - controversial choice of Peck as Ahab, again plenty of discussion in the Wiki article - take a look if interested.  I enjoyed after not seeing the film in decades.  Dave

[img=533x300]https://facts.net/wp-content/uploads/2023/06/46-facts-about-the-movie-moby-dick-1687856430.jpg[/img]

The Sainton score is genuinely superb - check out the Marco Polo modern studio recording;

re-released on Naxos.  Ask Jeffrey if you don't believe me - he's a big fan!

Cato

Quote from: Roasted Swan on April 10, 2024, 11:38:41 PMThe Sainton score is genuinely superb - check out the Marco Polo modern studio recording;

re-released on Naxos.  Ask Jeffrey if you don't believe me - he's a big fan!

I am also a big fan of the score and the movie!

The link seems to be written by a computer, and some of the "facts" are redundant.

https://facts.net/movie/46-facts-about-the-movie-moby-dick/

Cato

Last night we tried The Holdovers:

The plot is very similar to Scent of a Woman and to dozens of cookie-cutter scripts from the Hallmark Copy-Machine of Movie Mediocrity.

A student at a rich boarding-school in New England must spend Christmas Vacation at the school, and a curmudgeon ends up having assorted adventures with him, leading to a showdown with the school's administration and the student's parents.

Paul Giamatti plays the curmudgeon somewhat like Shrek, but that similarity may come from our visit to the Shrek movie last week!   ;)

However, despite the plot's similarities to other movies, it was enjoyable enough with some witty dialogue and a few poignant twists.

drogulus

Quote from: Cato on April 11, 2024, 05:51:47 AMPaul Giamatti plays the curmudgeon somewhat like Shrek, but that similarity may come from our visit to the Shrek movie last week!   ;)

Giamatti says he attended such a school before going on to Yale, where his father was a professor.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

T. D.

Quote from: drogulus on April 11, 2024, 06:55:27 AMGiamatti says he attended such a school before going on to Yale, where his father was a professor.

His father later was Commissioner of Major League Baseball for a short time.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: T. D. on April 11, 2024, 08:14:13 AMHis father later was Commissioner of Major League Baseball for a short time.
Oh, interesting!

Last movie that I saw him in was Sideways.  Not certain what else I've seen him in...
Pohjolas Daughter

Karl Henning

All I'm aware of having seen Paul Giamatti in are Paycheck (a fun thriller based on a Philip K. Dick story) and the remake of Planet of the Apes.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

SonicMan46

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on April 11, 2024, 08:31:25 AMOh, interesting!

Last movie that I saw him in was Sideways.  Not certain what else I've seen him in...

Being an oenophile most of my adult life and Pinot Noir being my favorite red grape, I now own that film as a HD streamer and have watched it almost a half dozen times since its release.  He has actually been in a LOT of films (list HERE) - I've seen around a dozen and own just 3-4 - had his excellent John Adams mini-series with Laura Linney but became available on HBO MAX as an UHD 4K streamer.  Dave

Cato

Quote from: SonicMan46 on April 11, 2024, 08:56:40 AMhis excellent John Adams mini-series with Laura Linney but became available on HBO MAX as an UHD 4K streamer. 

Dave

It is excellent, with the exception of a cringe-worthy bedroom scene.   :o

SonicMan46

The Postman Always Rings Twice (1946) w/ Lana Turner and John Garfield - film noir with some twists - wife thought the film 'dated' - I enjoyed being an old B&W movie fan -  ;D   Remade in 1981 with Jack Nicholson and Jessica Lange - not sure that I've seen the remake but apparently not as sexually 'sanitized' as the '46 version. As to comparative ratings - 1946 vs. 1981, 7.4 & 6.6, IMDB and 89% vs. 79% on Rotten Tomatoes.  Dave

QuoteThe Postman Always Rings Twice is a 1946 American film noir directed by Tay Garnett and starring Lana Turner, John Garfield, and Cecil Kellaway. It is based on the 1934 novel of the same name by James M. Cain. This adaptation of the novel also features Hume Cronyn, Leon Ames and Audrey Totter. The musical score was written by George Bassman and Erich Zeisl. This version was the third filming of the book, but the first under the novel's original title and the first in English. Previously, the novel had been filmed as Le Dernier Tournant (The Last Turning) in France in 1939 and as Ossessione (Obsession) in Italy in 1943. Postman 46 - 7.4 (6.6); RT - 89% vs. 79%(Source)

T. D.

Quote from: SonicMan46 on April 11, 2024, 09:23:24 AMThe Postman Always Rings Twice (1946) w/ Lana Turner and John Garfield - film noir with some twists - wife thought the film 'dated' - I enjoyed being an old B&W movie fan -  ;D  Remade in 1981 with Jack Nicholson and Jessica Lange - not sure that I've seen the remake but apparently not as sexually 'sanitized' as the '46 version. As to comparative ratings - 1946 vs. 1981, 7.4 & 6.6, IMDB and 89% vs. 79% on Rotten Tomatoes.  Dave

Interesting, surprised the Turner/Garfield seemed "dated". The Cain novel (which I've read) is really famous/notorious as an extremely hard-boiled crime story and the original 1946 film is also regarded as a classic. But given the date, some of the hard-boiledness might have been treated subtly (if at all) in the film.
I'm generally not interested in remakes a la the 1981. I don't think I've seen the 1946 straight through, just some random excerpts on TV long ago.

Karl Henning

Quote from: T. D. on April 11, 2024, 11:25:12 AMInteresting, surprised the Turner/Garfield seemed "dated". The Cain novel (which I've read) is really famous/notorious as an extremely hard-boiled crime story and the original 1946 film is also regarded as a classic. But given the date, some of the hard-boiledness might have been treated subtly (if at all) in the film.
I'm generally not interested in remakes a la the 1981. I don't think I've seen the 1946 straight through, just some random excerpts on TV long ago.
It's time I watched that 'un, too.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot