Last Movie You Watched

Started by Drasko, April 06, 2007, 07:51:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SonicMan46

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on March 06, 2018, 01:02:39 PM
Fantastic!

Wife & I loved that film - nominated for 5 Oscars and won NONE!  Was in my running for 'Best Picture' ahead of the disappointing winner (for myself) - Dave :)

Christo

The Post, by Steven Spielberg (whom I mainly consider as a successful maker of children's movies + that I'll never forgive him the utter failure of Schindler's List).
Like his early Empire of the Sun and also e.g. Lincoln, this one is actually very good too, a consciously created counterpart (many references and a final shot that's the exact opening scene of it) of All The President's Men:
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Karl Henning

Last night, again (of course):  Aliens
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

LKB

Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Karl Henning

Quote from: LKB on March 07, 2018, 01:02:47 AM
Game over, man!

RIP B.P.,

LKB

Hudson managed even to out-Lambert Lambert.  In the sphere of losing one's excreta (and I'm not suggesting that I should do any better than he) Hudson makes Lambert seem coolly philosophical by comparison.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: SonicMan46 on March 05, 2018, 02:39:52 PM
[...] I was pretty much pleased w/ the winners except the Best Picture, i.e. The Shape of Water won, a film that Susan & I streamed and enjoyed, but a fantasy about a mute woman having sex w/ a fish-man - weird choice IMO

Quote from: André on March 05, 2018, 06:20:18 PM
I didn't see The Shape of Water, but the idea of a love affair with the sea creature reminds me of another 'blue alien' film, Avatar, a candidate for most pretentious, overrated movie of all time. Doesn't appeal to me...

(No, I have not yet seen it, myself)  8)

Why The Shape of Water is a natural choice for Best Picture

It's a safe choice for an industry that wants to signal its values.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Draško

Francois Ozon's latest is beautifully composed and shot psychological erotic thriller, hugely entertaining if not taken too seriously. Hits all the genre tropes and hits them with panache. A beautiful young woman with some supposedly psychological stomach pains start seeing a psychiatrist, start sleeping with him, they move in together, hitchcockian madness ensues ... Elegant, suspenseful, lurid, and quite silly.

I quite enjoyed it, not for the prudish though.

A very decent, a bit spoilery, review:
https://www.slantmagazine.com/film/review/double-lover

André

An interesting article Karl, thanks.

I'm concerned about extraneous influences creeping into del Toro's films (or maybe simply borrowed). The BLack Lagoon creature is an obvious one (who hasn't seen it ?). When I was little we exchanged horror film cards like other kids exchange baseball cards. The BL creature was a favourite of ours. The  final scene of Pacific Rim is lifted wholesale from the climactic destruction of the Black Star in the 1977 Star Wars. Has moviedom become one giant wax museum ?

Ken B

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on March 07, 2018, 09:21:16 AM
(No, I have not yet seen it, myself)  8)

Why The Shape of Water is a natural choice for Best Picture

It's a safe choice for an industry that wants to signal its values.

Signal the values it wants to signal which are not actually its values at all. Those are omerta, go along to get along, fame is worth.

SonicMan46

Last few nights, I streamed a few films from Amazon that were on my 'too watch' list:

Man Who Invented Christmas, The (2017) w/ Dan Stevens, Christopher Plummer, et al - ratings: 7.1/10, IMDB; 80%, Rotten Tomatoes; 4.8/5*, Amazon - first synopsis below - I really enjoyed this film and would do 4* on Amazon - recommended.

Coco (2017) - ratings: 8.5/10, IMDB; 97%, Rotten Tomatoes; 4.4/5*, Amazon - wonderful Pixar animated film and winner of 2 Oscars last Sunday; second synopsis below - a 4* rating for me on Amazon - if a fan of a good Pixar film w/ a musical theme, then highly recommended.  Dave :)

QuoteIn 1843 London, author Charles Dickens finds himself in financial trouble after writing three unsuccessful novels in a row. Desperate for a hit, Dickens relies on real-life inspiration and his vivid imagination to bring Ebenezer Scrooge, Tiny Tim and other classic characters to life in "A Christmas Carol," forever changing the holiday season into the celebration known today.

QuoteDespite his family's generations-old ban on music, young Miguel dreams of becoming an accomplished musician like his idol Ernesto de la Cruz. Desperate to prove his talent, Miguel finds himself in the stunning and colorful Land of the Dead. After meeting a charming trickster named Héctor, the two new friends embark on an extraordinary journey to unlock the real story behind Miguel's family history.

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Christo on March 06, 2018, 11:53:19 PM
that I'll never forgive him the utter failure of Schindler's List).

What are you referring to? Or are you suggesting it's a bad film?
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

SimonNZ

Bus 174

Excellent documentary about a 2000 bus hijacking in Rio (a robbery gone wrong) and the incompetence in the police response that led to ultimate tragedy.

Particularly good in is charting of the troubled life history of the hijacker from witness to his mothers murder to life on the streets to witness of police brutality and murders of his fellow homeless to inmate in an inhuman prison, and his societal invisibility and alienation at each step.

Karl Henning

Quote from: mc ukrneal on March 07, 2018, 06:19:55 PM
What are you referring to? Or are you suggesting it's a bad film?

I think the jest lies in his characterizing (tongue-in-cheek, too, maybe) Spielberg as a director of films for children, by which measure Schindler's List is a "failure"...?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Again, not strictly on topic . . . but file under "make your weaknesses your strength":  in a review of The Matrix, I near laughed aloud on reading Keanu is suitably monosyllabic [....]
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

North Star

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on March 09, 2018, 05:03:44 AM
Again, not strictly on topic . . . but file under "make your weaknesses your strength":  in a review of The Matrix, I near laughed aloud on reading Keanu is suitably monosyllabic [....]
But... isn't "Keanu" two syllables?

Thread duty: Trumbo, about the blacklisted Hollywood screenwriters, with Bryan Cranston in the title role. Very good indeed.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Karl Henning

Quote from: North Star on March 09, 2018, 05:06:33 AM
But... isn't "Keanu" two syllables?

Well played!  Three, though, I think.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

North Star

"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Karl Henning

But, I dare not suggest that I am certain . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: SonicMan46 on March 07, 2018, 04:40:50 PM

Coco (2017) - ratings: 8.5/10, IMDB; 97%, Rotten Tomatoes; 4.4/5*, Amazon - wonderful Pixar animated film and winner of 2 Oscars last Sunday; second synopsis below - a 4* rating for me on Amazon - if a fan of a good Pixar film w/ a musical theme, then highly recommended.  Dave :)

I agree, Dave. Watched Coco last night with the family, it's a beautifully made film.

aligreto