Last Movie You Watched

Started by Drasko, April 06, 2007, 07:51:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Last night, a double-bill.

Alien3 in the "Assembly Cut."  (Director David Fincher harbored, with some reason, such bitter memories of the experience with Fox, that when the four-movie Anthology was in preparation, he declined even the invitation to do a director's commentary;  it is the one movie of the four which does not have a "Director's Version";  this "Assembly Cut" includes 37 minutes of alternate key plot elements, extended footage and deleted scenes.)  So, all right, I get various complaints about this one (some viewers cannot get over the "betrayal" in "killing off" Hicks and Newt;  Roger Ebert's justifiable annoyance that the alien can outrun the humans anywhere, anytime—though possibly justified in this being "a kind that [Ripley hasn't] seen before," since it gestated in a quadruped rather than a human);  but there are elements we forgive in the first two movies via willing suspension of disbelief.  (When Dallas, Ash & Ripley go to the still-unconscious Kane, and there is no sign of the facehugger, they leave the door open to the rest of the ship—when for all they know, the creature is yet alive—and . . . this is the cruncher . . . they don't turn the lights on, which would obviously facilitate a search.  And in Aliens—the queen operates an elevator.  No, really.)  I also get that the theatrical version is inferior (a sort of stepchild left in limbo between an interfering studio and an exasperated director), and this is what fans of 'the franchise' sat in the cinema to see, and to endure.

But I consider the third movie a good and (in the "Assembly Cut," and in spite of the film's troubled birth) solid sequel (arguably, a conclusion to a 'trilogy').  The look/color palette of the film is both lovely, and distinct from its predecessors.  The setting is a socially bleak and hostile environment which the film's detractors consider a negative, but which I argue is in keeping with the 3-movie narrative arc.  And we actually get to know more of the supposedly anonymous prison population here, than we did the marine band in Aliens—in both cases, it took me multiple viewings to know (in Aliens) more than Hicks, Hudson & Vasquez . . . the first time I watched, I would not have been comfortable being quizzed even on who Apone or Gorman was.  In comparison, we walk away from an initial viewing knowing Andrews, Aaron & Clemens (the staff) and Dillon well.  Add to these Morse, David & Golic (who apparently nearly disappears in the stripped-down theatrical release) and, by and large, there is a larger cast of more-than-mere-disposables than in the second, generally highly lauded movie.

Eliot Goldenthal's score I find satisfactory, but not a match for the Goldsmith or Horner scores in the predecessors;  the fault may possibly lie in the pell-mell post-production, at least in part.

I also watched, for the first time, Midnight in Paris, which is charming, and magnificent.  What can I say that I should not now, in hindsight, consider a spoiler?  There is in the script a palpable sense of the pleasure taken in filling out the pseudo-intellectual in the group; the in-laws are everything you could hope for (in all the snarky ways);  and one of the key guest characters is at once depicted perfectly accurately, and comes across as deadpan satire.  The opening sequence does for Paris, in color, what Manhattan did in b-&-w for its namesake.  Mind the rhinoceroses.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Quote from: Tulse on November 02, 2017, 01:31:47 PM

Quote from: aligreto on November 02, 2017, 11:51:22 AM
Fahrenheit 451....

A great movie aligreto with astounding foresight.

I'll never forget the powerful image of the fire engine streaking through the countryside. I don't know why it is so effecting, maybe it is something deep, or perhaps just Trumpton nostalgia.  :-\

Last night I finally watched this myself.  I very much enjoyed it.  In fact, I wonder if it did not improve on the book.  When I was a teenager, I loved the book when I first read it;  but in later years, my patience with it got shorter, as I felt it rather preachy/didactic.  I found the film a welcome improvement, as the characters became actual persons.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

The other movie I watched last night was Whatever Works, which is marvelously witty and touchingly humane.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

North Star

The Road, a Cormac McCarthy adapatation with Viggo Mortensen and Kodi Smit-McPhee. Bleakness without much of a story or script.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Ken B

Quote from: North Star on March 11, 2018, 04:55:28 AM
The Road, a Cormac McCarthy adapatation with Viggo Mortensen and Kodi Smit-McPhee. Bleakness without much of a story or script.
I have not read that book, but based on what I have read, that seems to be what McCarthy aims for.

aligreto

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on March 11, 2018, 03:38:45 AM

Last night I finally watched this myself.  I very much enjoyed it.  In fact, I wonder if it did not improve on the book.  When I was a teenager, I loved the book when I first read it;  but in later years, my patience with it got shorter, as I felt it rather preachy/didactic.  I found the film a welcome improvement, as the characters became actual persons.

Very dated to watch but a good story well told. The concept still holds up well too.

George

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on March 11, 2018, 03:39:40 AM
The other movie I watched last night was Whatever Works, which is marvelously witty and touchingly humane.

I really loved that one. I am so glad I didn't go by the reviews.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

LKB

Some very solid acting in this picture, perhaps even courageous at times, and a worthy cameo from Robert Duvall. There is just enough atmosphere in the cinematography to provide a sense of civilization lost. While the story isn't particularly deep, the sense of desperate, primal imperatives is constant and effective. Not a fun film, but l found it very worthwhile.

On the Road,

LKB
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

NikF

Rewatching the 1950(?) version of 'The Glass Menagerie'. It deviates from the play, but despite that I feel it's still worth a view.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Karl Henning

That's pretty much what I gleaned from the trailer.  So I contented myself with having watched the trailer  8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: George on March 11, 2018, 06:44:43 AM
I really loved that one. I am so glad I didn't go by the reviews.

It was utterly off my radar.  It is really, really lovable.  Inchworm  8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: aligreto on March 11, 2018, 05:22:31 AM
Very dated to watch but a good story well told. The concept still holds up well too.

Yes, the dated futurism is visually quaint!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Thread Duty:  yesterday, Alien Resurrection

Back when I first watched Alien3 and Alien Resurrection, I did so (arguably, I find) the 'wrong way' – that is, I watched the theatrical release of the former, and the 2003 'padded' release of the latter.  (Tellingly, the director himself prefers the theatrical cut.)  I don't mind saying that when I was about half through Resurrection, I texted my brother I am already liking this better than 3, to which he knowingly replied, Wait for it.

Soon after, I thought I'd try the theatrical release version of Resurrection, but found myself already a shade squeamish in the 1 – 7 lab, and was not sure I wanted to try to tolerate the . . . later glories.

Time passed, and I thought I should, after all, be interested in the supplemental materials in the Anthology; and finding a Used copy for <$12, why not.

Thus, I began yesterday with the th. r. v. of Alien Res'n.

I cannot find much heart to quarrel with one YouTube reviewer who (in a word) hates every frame of it.  I do not hate it thus – but I could not argue against his righteous rage.  I am puzzled by a contrarian YouTube reviewer who tries to argue that the movie is much better than most anyone else thinks.

I've remarked elsewhere that we allow illogicalities in really all the Alien movies.  Still, there is no denying that Alien Resurrection takes the biscuit.  Restricting myself to three:  one character succeeds in removing a facehugger (man, that would have been handy in the first two movies!);  they shoot a chestburster on a small craft (apparently, here was a case where the acid blood just didn't matter);  and the underwater passage for which none of them could possibly have held their breath that long, even if it had been an entirely placid swim (it wasn't).  I choose three for brevity;  we might be at it all day, really.

Among the few things I genuinely like about the movie:  Weaver does a fine job of acting a different character, since here she is, and yet is not, Ripley.  The 1 – 7 lab is ghastly, but it also shows Ripley at (in this movie) her most human;  it is the dark heart of the movie.  The alien hitting the Freeze button . . . face it, it's a given that the scientists are digging their own graves, and that, although human, they are not the Good Guys.  The movie has actually created a situation where we cheer an alien for exacting revenge.  Pretty messed up, really.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

SimonNZ

Quote from: NikF on March 12, 2018, 01:55:39 AM
Rewatching the 1950(?) version of 'The Glass Menagerie'. It deviates from the play, but despite that I feel it's still worth a view.

Hadn't heard of that version before. I only know the one with Karen Allen (which I now see was directed by Paul Newman).

mc ukrneal

Quote from: aligreto on March 10, 2018, 01:59:40 AM
The Lobster

Enigmatic.
This is a movie that has intrigued me since a preview in the theater. I just wasn't sure if it was worth a watch. What do you think?
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

NikF

Quote from: SimonNZ on March 12, 2018, 04:15:30 AM
Hadn't heard of that version before. I only know the one with Karen Allen (which I now see was directed by Paul Newman).

Hi Simon. I think with an original work of such stature, most versions are often worth a watch regardless of their limitations. That's my approach. And the worst thing I can say here is that Gertrude Lawrence (who I usually like) plays the mother as almost a light-hearted, comic book caricature - and so it sits awkwardly with all those other symbols and how heavy everything else is.
On the plus side, the cinematography is by Robert Burks, the guy who photographed all the Strangers on a Train, Rear Window, Vertigo etc stuff for Hitchcock - and the way he shoots the little apartment to minimise how stagey it could otherwise appear is cool. That alone makes it worthwhile for me.

I've heard of the Karen Allen version you mention, but haven't seen it and it's news to me too that it was directed by Newman. I'm planning to see as many screen adaptations of/by Tennessee Williams as possible, so I'm guessing I'll catch it at some point.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Karl Henning

Quote from: NikF on March 12, 2018, 04:58:34 AM
Hi Simon. I think with an original work of such stature, most versions are often worth a watch regardless of their limitations.

Yes, indeed.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: aligreto on March 11, 2018, 05:22:31 AM

In the featurette, I got a kick out of the pun in the original Truffaut/[? I forget the second name] adaptation in French, which did not translate well into English: homme livre / homme libre
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

milk

Wallace Shawn is electric in this. The rest of the cast is great too. I've enjoyed this movie several times, most recently: yesterday.

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA