Last Movie You Watched

Started by Drasko, April 06, 2007, 07:51:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken B

Quote from: James on March 16, 2018, 01:53:13 AM
Night Moves
1975 ‧ Mystery/Crime film ‧ 1h 40m

Hard-nosed private investigator Harry Moseby (Gene Hackman), to distract himself from a rapidly deteriorating marriage, takes a case from an aging B-movie queen (Janet Ward) to locate her runaway daughter, Delly (Melanie Griffith). His search takes him to the Florida Keys, where the girl has been hiding out with her stepfather, Tom (John Crawford), and Tom's lover, Paula (Jennifer Warren). Harry initiates an affair with Paula and soon learns the case is more complex than he first assessed it.

[asin]B074525PF2[/asin]

A winner.

George

working on mysteries without any clues
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

aligreto

Gritty enough to keep one's interest.

Draško

Quite decent, perfectly watchable. Not great though, most of characterizations are done by cliche shorthand, some of its ideas are force-fed via some clunky dialogue, and I'm not sure at this point if I buy the ending. But it's wonderfully atmospheric, beautiful visually, and quite suspenseful, the narrative easily held my attention even though it's pretty slow moving. Some reviews described it as 'brainy' but it seemed pretty straightforward to me.

Artem

Have you read the book that movie is based on?

Madiel

Forgot to mention French film Number One. (There's a French film festival going on here right now)

About a woman trying to go for a job as CEO at a top company (backed by a woman's organisation), and encountering both casual and brutally direct misogyny. Well written with a lot of texture to the characters and situations, though it did perhaps pull its punches just a little - things never did quite as nasty as it was suggested they might. And ultimately the resolution still depended on the whims of a man. I'm not sure whether this was deliberately ironic.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Draško

Quote from: Artem on March 22, 2018, 12:23:19 AM
Have you read the book that movie is based on?

No, I haven't.

anothername

Just finished watching.  First rate in all aspects. 

Mahlerian

Caught a screening of Vertigo yesterday for its 60th anniversary.

"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg

Karl Henning

Quote from: Mahlerian on March 22, 2018, 07:36:00 AM
Caught a screening of Vertigo yesterday for its 60th anniversary.

Nice!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mahlerian

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on March 22, 2018, 08:49:38 AM
Nice!

It looked and sounded great on the big screen too, complete with that wonderful Bernard Herrmann score.
"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg

Karl Henning

Quote from: Mahlerian on March 22, 2018, 08:54:14 AM
It looked and sounded great on the big screen too, complete with that wonderful Bernard Herrmann score.

I'll bet.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Separately . . . I do not believe I have ever seen .

And I am only saying this, now, because I am resolved to address that.  Possibly even this side of Easter.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

NikF

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on March 23, 2018, 05:38:25 AM
Separately . . . I do not believe I have ever seen .

And I am only saying this, now, beacause I am resolved to address that.  Possibly even this side of Easter.

Good stuff.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Karl Henning

Quote from: NikF on March 23, 2018, 05:45:03 AM
Good stuff.

My relatively recent discovery of how much I do like Stardust Memories is perhaps the single largest factor.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Omicron9

Last night, I re-watched "Melinda and Melinda."   http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0378947/?ref_=nv_sr_1

As much as I love most of Woody Allen's movies, this sadly is not one of those.  For some reason, and this is just me, but the vast majority of his post-2000 work just leaves me saying "Really?"  when the final credits roll.  Again, maybe it's just me.

Cinematic regards,
"Signature-line free since 2017!"

Karl Henning

Parenthetical, only (I mean, I have no intention of watching The Matrix Reloaded) . . . Roger Ebert warns us:

The speeches provide not meaning, but the effect of meaning: It sure sounds like those guys are saying some profound things.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Mahlerian

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on March 23, 2018, 08:09:52 AM
Parenthetical, only (I mean, I have no intention of watching The Matrix Reloaded) . . . Roger Ebert warns us:

The speeches provide not meaning, but the effect of meaning: It sure sounds like those guys are saying some profound things.

Having seen it and its sequel, I can say that Ebert is completely correct...and the third one is even worse in that regard.

I've studied philosophy, and it does not consist of people throwing words together in an attempt to emit a patina of profundity.

NikF

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on March 23, 2018, 05:49:30 AM
My relatively recent discovery of how much I do like Stardust Memories is perhaps the single largest factor.

Cool - I can just imagine you at numerous points recognising and acknowledging, perhaps with a knowing, sagely nod.  8)

It's one of a handful of films I've viewed from a projection booth. I'd been tipped off about the scene where Cardinale dressed in white almost pads from right to left and back, her face lit by faux candlelight; and when this is viewed from the booth the screen reflects the projected light as if her presence is passing like a wave over the audience. At best whimsical, at worst a gimmick, but a beautiful one nonetheless.

In any case, I hope you find the film interesting and that you enjoy it. :)
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Madiel

Quote from: Mahlerian on March 23, 2018, 08:18:05 AM
Having seen it and its sequel, I can say that Ebert is completely correct...and the third one is even worse in that regard.

I've studied philosophy, and it does not consist of people throwing words together in an attempt to emit a patina of profundity.
This IS the sequel.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!