Last Movie You Watched

Started by Drasko, April 06, 2007, 07:51:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mahlerian

Quote from: ørfeo on March 23, 2018, 02:35:46 PM
This IS the sequel.

I was referring to the sequel to The Matrix Reloaded, The Matrix Revolutions.
"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg

SimonNZ

The stories of three very different whistleblowers of the drone program

Madiel

Quote from: Mahlerian on March 23, 2018, 03:35:39 PM
I was referring to the sequel to The Matrix Reloaded, The Matrix Revolutions.

Then why did you then talk about "the third one"? If Matrix Revolutions is "the sequel", which movie is "the third one"?
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

North Star

Dheepan (2015)
Jacques Audiard

A Tamil Tiger decides to flee the civil war, and takes a woman (Yalini) and a girl with him in order to appear as a family and thus claim asylum more easily. In France, Dheepan finds work as the caretaker of a block in the suburbs, as does Yalini, cleaning and cooking for an old, demented man. There's a gang in the neighbourhood, and the violence will draw Dheepan in as he tries to insulate himself from it. Palme d'Or winner and a fine movie.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Mahlerian

Quote from: ørfeo on March 23, 2018, 03:57:58 PM
Then why did you then talk about "the third one"? If Matrix Revolutions is "the sequel", which movie is "the third one"?

Having seen it (the second movie) and its sequel (the third one), I can say that Ebert is completely correct (about the second movie)...and the third one is even worse in that regard.

It's a parallel construction.  The sentence doesn't make sense any other way, as the "it" in the first half has to refer to the movie Ebert discusses in order not to be an ambiguous referent.  I'm sorry if it was unclear, but surely a third entry in a series is a sequel to the second just as much as the second is to the first.
"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg

Madiel

Quote from: Mahlerian on March 23, 2018, 04:03:58 PM
Having seen it (the second movie) and its sequel (the third one), I can say that Ebert is completely correct (about the second movie)...and the third one is even worse in that regard.

It's a parallel construction.  I'm sorry if it was ambiguous, but surely a third entry in a series is a sequel to the second just as much as the second is to the first.

Right.

It was ambiguous, because ordinary language is to refer to the 2nd and 3rd movies as both "sequels" to the 1st. I don't think I've ever heard someone describe the 3rd movie in a trilogy as a "sequel" to the 2nd before, however sure you are.

Anyway, movie no.2 is not very good, and movie no.3 is downright awful. I walked out of the 3rd, having dozed off slightly a couple times which is basically unheard of for me in a cinema, knowing for certain that I could then go and buy The Matrix on DVD and make no effort whatsoever to remember that they'd ever tried to expand beyond that.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Madiel

Quote from: Mahlerian on March 23, 2018, 04:03:58 PM
The sentence doesn't make sense any other way, as the "it" in the first half has to refer to the movie Ebert discusses in order not to be an ambiguous referent.

Which presumes that you had actually got right which movie Ebert was discussing. This was why I pointed out which movie it was. It wasn't obvious to me that it was ordinary meaning of words you were screwing with, rather than mixing up films.

Baron Scarpia

QuoteThe speeches provide not meaning, but the effect of meaning: It sure sounds like those guys are saying some profound things.

Brings to mind the final season of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, where the cute dialog and action sequences were replaced by Buffy, endlessly ruminating on what it means to be "the slayer," how it is her destiny although she would rather have been a cheerleader.

But that brings up the thorny issue of whether the final season of Buffy was the sequel to the penultimate season, or to the first season. These questions make my brain hurt. :)

Madiel

Quote from: Baron Scarpia on March 23, 2018, 04:16:40 PM
Brings to mind the final season of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, where the cute dialog and action sequences were replaced by Buffy, endlessly ruminating on what it means to be "the slayer," how it is her destiny although she would rather have been a cheerleader.

Yes, it did get rather like that. Though "Conversations with Dead People" was still pretty good.

But that brings up the thorny issue of whether the final season of Buffy was the sequel to the penultimate season, or to the first season. These questions make my brain hurt. :)

Neither. Because people don't talk about seasons of TV shows like that.

Madiel

120 Beats Per Minute

The fight against HIV/AIDS in Paris in the 1990s. LGBT activists wanting treatments and awareness campaigns and coming up against government apathy, pharmaceutical companies with an eye on profits as much as medicine, and gay men who don't want to be scared about sex.

I... liked it. It has a lot to say, but just occasionally it felt like an essay more than a film. At other times it was very personal and moving. Friend I saw it with absolutely loved it, and it did win a whole bunch of awards at Cannes last year including the "Grand Prix" (essentially 2nd place at the festival).

Turner

"GRAVITY", on television. Watched about half of it, but the dialogue was so poor and kitschy that just turning the sound off and keeping the Danish subtitles eventually wasn't enough. Also, the course of events was hopelessly unrealistic. However, the visual effects were impressive. But overall, an awful movie, IMO.

André

Very powerful, but sometimes tripping over its shoelaces. There are two very different levels of language at play here, which is somewhat disconcerting. Also, some scenes are almost like asides, not really relevant to the main plot line. However, I give it 8.5/10 with enthusiasm. What's strong in it is very, very strong.

George

Quote from: André on March 24, 2018, 04:18:33 PM

Very powerful, but sometimes tripping over its shoelaces. There are two very different levels of language at play here, which is somewhat disconcerting. Also, some scenes are almost like asides, not really relevant to the main plot line. However, I give it 8.5/10 with enthusiasm. What's strong in it is very, very strong.

I really liked that one as well.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

GioCar

The Florida Project

A terrible setting for a great film, one of the best in recent years imo.
But my wife just hated it.

James

Opera
1987 ‧ Mystery/Crime film ‧ 1h 47m

A hooded figure forces a young diva to watch as he murders performers in a production of Verdi's opera "Macbeth."

[asin]B0776K3ZL9[/asin]
Action is the only truth

André

Quote from: North Star on March 23, 2018, 03:58:49 PM
Dheepan (2015)
Jacques Audiard

A Tamil Tiger decides to flee the civil war, and takes a woman (Yalini) and a girl with him in order to appear as a family and thus claim asylum more easily. In France, Dheepan finds work as the caretaker of a block in the suburbs, as does Yalini, cleaning and cooking for an old, demented man. There's a gang in the neighbourhood, and the violence will draw Dheepan in as he tries to insulate himself from it. Palme d'Or winner and a fine movie.

A very powerful movie. The last scene is somewhat out of character with the rest of the film, but I guess it can be put on account of narrative license. Audiard also directed Un prophète, another tough, forbidding film.

North Star

Quote from: André on March 25, 2018, 08:24:15 AM
A very powerful movie. The last scene is somewhat out of character with the rest of the film, but I guess it can be put on account of narrative license. Audiard also directed Un prophète, another tough, forbidding film.
Agreed. The last scene reminded me of a certain Robert DeNiro movie.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

vandermolen

Very enjoyable despite Robert Duvall's absurd English accent as Dr Watson:
[asin]B001CB42AK[/asin]
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Karl Henning

The 5,000 Fingers of Dr. T.

Deliciously peculiar.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Cato

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)