Last Movie You Watched

Started by Drasko, April 06, 2007, 07:51:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hobby and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Traverso

Quote from: drogulus on April 30, 2018, 03:05:19 PM

There are 2 solutions, buy a multiregion player to play the disks, or my own preferred way, not to play the discs but just rip them on my PC and play the files. Ripped discs don't have a region. You can burn them to discs that will play on your region locked player or just play the files.

Thank you but  the DVD's  are protected should  that  be a problem?

Baron Scarpia

Quote from: Traverso on April 30, 2018, 04:04:30 PM

If you have an external DVD rom drive, it will probably allow you to switch the region a finite number of times (like 3, maybe). It will work, but if you don't plan ahead you might end up with a DVD rom that only plays region 1 discs.

Baron Scarpia

Quote from: drogulus on April 30, 2018, 03:05:19 PM

There are 2 solutions, buy a multiregion player to play the disks, or my own preferred way, not to play the discs but just rip them on my PC and play the files. Ripped discs don't have a region. You can burn them to discs that will play on your region locked player or just play the files.

BTW, what software do you use for ripping DVDs?

drogulus

Quote from: Traverso on April 30, 2018, 04:04:30 PM

No, it's not a problem. The program you use removes the region code from DVDs and BDs. Without that they play on any machine.

Quote from: Baron Scarpia on April 30, 2018, 04:09:03 PM
BTW, what software do you use for ripping DVDs?

I use MakeMKV, which is free and easy to use. You never change the region on the disk player, the software does a workaround and produces a file type that is playable on BD players through their USB ports. Note that file sizes are gigantic, no additional compression is done. But then, storage is so cheap what are you complaining about?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

drogulus

You put the disk in, you start the program, it reads the disk and when it finishes reading you get this screen:

The big file is the movie, in this case a British region 2 film which won't play on any machine I have. The other ones are special features I don't usually bother with, I choose the big one, open it and unchoose subs and other sound tracks, choose where it lands and hit make MKV and add it to my collection. I haven't paid attention to region codes or PAL/NTSC or framerates for over a decade. I just go get what I want.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Traverso

Quote from: drogulus on April 30, 2018, 07:58:04 PM
     You put the disk in, you start the program, it reads the disk and when it finishes reading you get this screen:

The big file is the movie, in this case a British region 2 film which won't play on any machine I have. The other ones are special features I don't usually bother with, I choose the big one, open it and unchoose subs and other sound tracks, choose where it lands and hit make MKV and add it to my collection. I haven't paid attention to region codes or PAL/NTSC or framerates for over a decade. I just go get what I want.

,Well,  I shall purchase  the DVD's set ( not this one) and Thank you for your  help.  :)

;)

North Star

Quote from: Traverso on May 01, 2018, 03:06:19 AM
,Well,  I shall purchase  the DVD's set ( not this one) and Thank you for your  help.  :)

;)
Ah yes, one of my favourite shows - especially the earlier seasons.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Traverso

Quote from: North Star on May 01, 2018, 04:22:27 AM
Ah yes, one of my favourite shows - especially the earlier seasons.

Indeed the earlier ones with     Carol Drinkwater are the most atractive

Did you know that the author portrayed the characters in a way that his old colleagues were not happy with.Example ;Tristan comes home and lets James Herriot carry his bags. ;)

drogulus

Quote from: Traverso on May 01, 2018, 05:40:34 AM

Carol Drinkwater are?

Seriously, she was wonderful, a big part of the success of the original series.

North Star

Quote from: drogulus on May 01, 2018, 06:15:25 AM
     Carol Drinkwater are?

Seriously, she was wonderful, a big part of the success of the original series.
Quote from: Traverso on May 01, 2018, 05:40:34 AM

Did you know that the author portrayed the characters in a way that his old colleagues were not happy with.Example ;Tristan comes home and lets James Herriot carry his bags. ;)
I certainly knew that the person who Siegfried was based on, wasn't happy about the character at all.  :laugh:

Losing Carol Drinkwater as Helen, and Mary Hignett as Mrs Hall, certainly hurt the series. And I don't think I like the postwar series' writing quite so much in general.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Traverso

Quote from: North Star on May 01, 2018, 07:59:16 AM
I certainly knew that the person who Siegfried was based on, wasn't happy about the character at all.  :laugh:

Losing Carol Drinkwater as Helen, and Mary Hignett as Mrs Hall, certainly hurt the series. And I don't think I like the postwar series' writing quite so much in general.

Indeed,   I purchased "The Jewel in the Crown" and I'm most curious to watch it in the best quality available.I installed MakeMKV so I'm ready. :)

aligreto

Once upon a time in Venice

Not the standard Bruce Willis fare and a good performance from him, and also from John Goodman, in an entertaining film.

drogulus

Quote from: Traverso on May 01, 2018, 08:28:01 AM
Indeed,   I purchased "The Jewel in the Crown" and I'm most curious to watch it in the best quality available.I installed MakeMKV so I'm ready. :)

MKVs can be played on your pc by popular free media players like VLC and MPC-HC. LG and Sony BD players play them through the USB port. Some players play some and not others. The best results are with the Sonys and LGs, unless you are an extremist like me and get the Oppo, the Swiss army knife of digital media.

Traverso

Quote from: drogulus on May 01, 2018, 12:44:02 PM
     MKVs can be played on your pc by popular free media players like VLC and MPC-HC. LG and Sony BD players play them through the USB port. Some players play some and not others. The best results are with the Sonys and LGs, unless you are an extremist like me and get the Oppo, the Swiss army knife of digital media.

I like to burn a DVD and watch it on television.I have no media box and the format has to be avi or dvd.Should I use DVDrecrypter? If makeMKV makes a MKV file than I have to convert that to make a dvd. (convertXtoDVD)
What I want is a DVD disc region free,what is the easiest way to do that. :)
Is it possible to make a dvd file with makeMKV ?

drogulus

Quote from: Traverso on May 01, 2018, 02:15:30 PM
I like to burn a DVD and watch it on television.I have no media box and the format has to be avi or dvd.Should I use DVDrecrypter? If makeMKV makes a MKV file than I have to convert that to make a dvd. (convertXtoDVD)
What I want is a DVD disc region free,what is the easiest way to do that. :)
Is it possible to make a dvd file with makeMKV ?

How to burn MKV file to Blu-ray disc for playback in Blu-ray player

Mirror Image

Just finished this documentary after spreading it out over a two-day period (it's around 2 hrs. in duration):

Let me just say that for anyone with any interest in this composer owes it to themselves to see this film. It may very well be the best composer documentary I've ever seen and really gets to the heart of the composer. One of the most rewarding features of this film is how it takes you through works from the very beginning until the end of the composer's life. Two parts of this film I found particularly interesting were the discussions of the Cello Sonata and Cello Concerto. Two, IMHO, underrated works in Barber's oeuvre. A must see!

James

Avengers: Infinity War
2018 ‧ Fantasy/Science fiction film ‧ 2h 40m

Iron Man, Thor, the Hulk and the rest of the Avengers unite to battle their most powerful enemy yet -- the evil Thanos. On a mission to collect all six Infinity Stones, Thanos plans to use the artifacts to inflict his twisted will on reality. The fate of the planet and existence itself has never been more uncertain as everything the Avengers have fought for has led up to this moment.

Action is the only truth

Karl Henning

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 01, 2018, 08:07:26 PM
Just finished this documentary after spreading it out over a two-day period (it's around 2 hrs. in duration):

Let me just say that for anyone with any interest in this composer owes it to themselves to see this film. It may very well be the best composer documentary I've ever seen and really gets to the heart of the composer. One of the most rewarding features of this film is how it takes you through works from the very beginning until the end of the composer's life. Two parts of this film I found particularly interesting were the discussions of the Cello Sonata and Cello Concerto. Two, IMHO, underrated works in Barber's oeuvre. A must see!

Very interesting, thanks.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Madiel

You should all just move to Australia, where the vast majority of DVD players are (quietly) multi-region after our courts said it was completely outrageous to use region codes to stop people from using things they had legally purchased from overseas, and said there was nothing wrong with people working out how to deactivate the region coding.

That's how pathetic the system is. After that ruling, most of the companies just stopped applying the region coding as the players were shipping out the factory. Why bother when we can all turn it off again?
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

drogulus