Last Movie You Watched

Started by Drasko, April 06, 2007, 07:51:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Camphy, (poco) Sforzando and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Todd

Game Night.  Fast-paced, witty in a contrived but entertaining way, with some good sight gags and more blood and violence than anticipated going in (I had read nothing about it), it's good enough to kill some time.  It could have been better had Sharon Horgan been better utilized.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Omicron9

Quote from: Todd on November 17, 2018, 05:56:48 AM

Game Night.  Fast-paced, witty in a contrived but entertaining way, with some good sight gags and more blood and violence than anticipated going in (I had read nothing about it), it's good enough to kill some time.  It could have been better had Sharon Horgan been better utilized.

I enjoyed this one.  A bit of mindless escapism.  In a good way.  :)

"Signature-line free since 2017!"

Omicron9

Last night's screening:

"They'll Love Me When I'm Dead"

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6893836/?ref_=nv_sr_1

I don't know if you've heard about the Orson Welles movie that was just released by Netflix, "The Other Side of the Wind."   If not, the short version of the story is that he worked on it for the last 15 years of his life, but it was never finished in his lifetime.  Netflix has bought it, finished it with the cooperation of the crew that are still living, and released it.  There is also this companion documentary called "They'll Love Me When I'm Dead," which was released with the movie and also available on Netflix.  The docu is mostly centered around the drama of the making of "The Other Side of the Wind," but also covers some other movies of Welles'; along with some great content on his creative process.  I watched the docu last night, and really dug it.  Great background and solid preparation for the actual movie.  Somewhat reminiscent of "Hearts of Darkness."  Recommended.  My suggestion: catch the docu first, as it's pretty complex as to the actual movie itself.  A must for Welles fans.

LKB

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on November 16, 2018, 05:09:39 PM
Once again: Who Framed Roger Rabbit? Brilliant execution, great fun.

Actually the title is without punctuation, but that's a fairly tiny nit to pick.  :D

Quite enjoyable, and thirty years on l still want an oven l can set to VOLCANO HEAT.

Shave and a haircut,

LKB
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Karl Henning

Quote from: LKB on November 17, 2018, 10:29:49 AM
Actually the title is without punctuation, but that's a fairly tiny nit to pick.  :D

Quite enjoyable, and thirty years on l still want an oven l can set to VOLCANO HEAT.

Shave and a haircut,

LKB

Dang, me & my superfluous punctuation.

Thread Duty:

Again, Moon. Wonderful.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Ken B

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on November 17, 2018, 12:26:39 PM
Dang, me & my superfluous punctuation.

My hobbies are cooking my cat and commas.

Todd

The Legacy of a Whitetail Deer Hunter.  I watched because Danny McBride is in it, and while he delivers chuckles, he doesn't do his best work.  (That's still Eastbound & Down.)  The movie is eminently forgettable.  Josh Brolin's character reminds me of a vendor I work with.

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

milk

rewatched this work of genius

Karl Henning

Quote from: milk on November 18, 2018, 09:10:34 PM
rewatched this work of genius

I've been thinking of returning to this.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

milk

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on November 19, 2018, 04:43:04 AM
I've been thinking of returning to this.
This is a great picture, yet some critics couldn't stand it. One called it "hell" to sit through. I think it's funny even while exploring very dark and profound problems of human suffering and meaning. But there is a distance from every character. A lot of critics and audiences can't stomach a movie without a relatable or lovable protagonist. Me too I guess. But this is the genius of the Coens. They rise above such concerns. I think this is a picture that grows on one. I loved it more the second time around. I really would put this up there as one of the great movies of the last 20 years. I even want to say that it's a movie Woody Allen would have liked to have made but just wasn't skilled or down-to-earth enough to make.

Karl Henning

I do love it, as well.  Hit me just right the first time.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

It's official: I've now seen A Serious Man for the second time.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

milk

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on November 19, 2018, 06:58:02 PM
It's official: I've now seen A Serious Man for the second time.
What's the verdict?

Todd

I tried watching Justice League.  I made it through twenty minutes.  It's just so bad.

TheGSMoeller

Todd

Outlaw King, aka Braveheart 2: The Successful Rebellion.  Neo-Kirk stars as Robert the Bruce, the 14th Century badass who freed the Scots from the yoke of the oppressive, insufferable English, here embodied by Stannis Baratheon, who finally sits on the throne he so rightly deserves.  The movie is well enough done for a single, mindless viewing, as long as one expects something only slightly better than a mediocrity.  The director makes sure to not skimp on graphic violence.  There are many deaths by stabbing, slashing, and so forth, and one is treated to an on-screen depiction of the drawing portion of someone being drawn and quartered, as well as separate aftermath shots of the quartering part.  Unintentional comic relief is provided by Aaron Taylor-Johnson, who obviously earned ace marks at the Al Pacino School of Overacting®.

Omicron9

Quote from: Todd on November 24, 2018, 06:17:55 AM

Outlaw King, aka Braveheart 2: The Successful Rebellion.  Neo-Kirk stars as Robert the Bruce, the 14th Century badass who freed the Scots from the yoke of the oppressive, insufferable English, here embodied by Stannis Baratheon, who finally sits on the throne he so rightly deserves.  The movie is well enough done for a single, mindless viewing, as long as one expects something only slightly better than a mediocrity.  The director makes sure to not skimp on graphic violence.  There are many deaths by stabbing, slashing, and so forth, and one is treated to an on-screen depiction of the drawing portion of someone being drawn and quartered, as well as separate aftermath shots of the quartering part.  Unintentional comic relief is provided by Aaron Taylor-Johnson, who obviously earned ace marks at the Al Pacino School of Overacting®.

Bravo.  This is certainly one the most entertaining movie reviews I've read in quite some time!

André

Mary Shelley's Frankenstein was published 200 years ago. This 108 year old short film is its first incarnation on the silver screen:

https://blogs.loc.gov/loc/2018/11/the-first-film-version-of-frankenstein-newly-restored/

Scroll down for the film. It's 13 minutes long.

TheGSMoeller