Last Movie You Watched

Started by Drasko, April 06, 2007, 07:51:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lisa needs braces

Did not know there was a film made five years ago about the Italian philosopher and poet Leopardi.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3152602/

LKB

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on March 09, 2019, 09:16:58 AM
Last night, again, John Huston's Moby Dick

Hello Karl,

Please allow me to belatedly congratulate you on you recovery. It's been good to see you posting again.  ;)

If you haven't already, check out Ray Bradbury's Green Shadows, White Whale.  Though imperfect, I believe you'll find it worthwhile.

Cheers,

LKB
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Karl Henning

Quote from: LKB on March 11, 2019, 11:37:49 AM
Hello Karl,

Please allow me to belatedly congratulate you on you recovery. It's been good to see you posting again.  ;)

If you haven't already, check out Ray Bradbury's Green Shadows, White Whale.  Though imperfect, I believe you'll find it worthwhile.

Cheers,

LKB

Many thanks for the kind thoughts!  I do need to read that Bradbury book
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

SonicMan46

Apollo 11 at our local independent theater - just released documentary on the 50th year anniversary of the first moon landing - only archival footage used (from the quote below), some extremely detailed other footage from the era - highly recommended documentary worth seeing.  Dave :)

QuoteApollo 11 is a 2019 American documentary film edited, produced, and directed by Todd Douglas Miller. It focuses on the 1969 Apollo 11 mission, the first spaceflight to land men on the moon. The film consists solely of archival footage, including 70 mm film that was previously unreleased to the public, and does not feature narration or interviews. The film premiered at the Sundance Film Festival on January 24, 2019, and was released theatrically in the United States by Neon on March 1, 2019. It received acclaim from critics and has grossed over $3 million. (SOURCE)

Karl Henning

over the past couple of nights, again: The Big Country.  I think Cato put me onto this, but it might have been Dave.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

SonicMan46

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on March 13, 2019, 11:03:16 AM
over the past couple of nights, again: The Big Country.  I think Cato put me onto this, but it might have been Dave.

Hi Karl - probably both of us, I suspect -  8)  Believe that I'm on my second BD version and quite happy w/ the results (review HERE for those interested).  Dave :)

Karl Henning

Quote from: SonicMan46 on March 13, 2019, 11:31:04 AM
Hi Karl - probably both of us, I suspect -  8)  Believe that I'm on my second BD version and quite happy w/ the results (review HERE for those interested).  Dave :)

It's a beauty, Dave.10 years ago, I would not have suspected that I might become a fan of westerns,
But I love The Big Country, The Searchers, The Shootist, True Grit.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

NikF4

Explorers (1985) directed by Joe Dante.

I find it worthy of (3+) repeated viewings and preferably on the big screen, because that's what the people who made this movie grew up with, while embracing and employing the tech of the time. Anyway, fun and moving and accomplished. And if you care to invest the minutes (including actually thinking about it) you'll see how cinematographer John Hora invokes that safe, familiar, cosy look without appealing to the lowest common denominator in order appease manchildren - yes, the 1980s did have some positive aspects.

SonicMan46

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on March 13, 2019, 11:34:59 AM
It's a beauty, Dave.10 years ago, I would not have suspected that I might become a fan of westerns,

BOY, have we had this conversation before - don't know how many westerns are in my collection - but for me, John Wayne, Henry Fonda, and James Stewart post-WWII w/ Anthony Mann immediately come to mind - just two of my many favorites below done by Criterion.  Dave :)

Ken B

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on March 13, 2019, 11:34:59 AM

I need to rewatch The Searchers. I saw or eons ago and was not a fan, but everyone who likes movies I like likes it. Maybe I was in an off mood that day.

NikF4

Quote from: Ken B on March 13, 2019, 01:37:07 PM
I need to rewatch The Searchers. I saw or eons ago and was not a fan, but everyone who likes movies I like likes it. Maybe I was in an off mood that day.

I don't have a  horse in the race. As far as imparting a story/telling a tale is concerned, it works. Anything further (despite appeals to popularity/authority) is ultimately subjective. With that in mind, to my own taste it veers between the astute and the trite.
Note: a fairly recent remastering resulted in a bastardisation of the original palette employed by William Hoch. Terrible. And the resulting online attempts to cover up what amounted to a fuck up were amusing.

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: NikF4 on March 13, 2019, 02:15:47 PM
I don't have a  horse in the race. As far as imparting a story/telling a tale is concerned, it works. Anything further (despite appeals to popularity/authority) is ultimately subjective. With that in mind, to my own taste it veers between the astute and the trite.
Note: a fairly recent remastering resulted in a bastardisation of the original palette employed by William Hoch. Terrible. And the resulting online attempts to cover up what amounted to a fuck up were amusing.

What did they do, make the colors too bright and lurid?

LKB

Quote from: SonicMan46 on March 13, 2019, 10:40:39 AM
Apollo 11 at our local independent theater - just released documentary on the 50th year anniversary of the first moon landing - only archival footage used (from the quote below), some extremely detailed other footage from the era - highly recommended documentary worth seeing.  Dave :)

Thanks for the recommendation. I have vivid memories of watching the coverage of the landing and subsequent EVA, and this is right up my alley.

About to turn blue,

LKB

NikF4

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on March 13, 2019, 03:02:04 PM
What did they do, make the colors too bright and lurid?

In certain scenes/titles, yes.

Stuff: But it was more about the reaction of fanboys/manchildren. Hoch wasn't just the cinematographer, because previous to that his career was as a research physicist with a role in developing (no pun intended) both single and three strip Technicolour. While no one is above questioning, someone with his academic qualifications and practical experience you don't readily fuck with. But when the usual automatic plaudits were handed out online (notably on a site hosted by a wedding photographer) about how 'wonderful' the restoration/remastering was, people who worked on the original gig and were still alive, compounded by those who actually know what they're talking about had the temerity to point out 'It never looked that way in the first place'. It was more about the reaction of consumers than anything else.

e: it's far, far, far from John Ford and Hollywood, but when I was 16 years old my full-time job was as a studio assistant on shooting stuff like the Great Universal mail order *catalogue - and so I consider myself one of those who 'know what they're talking about' when it comes to pro stuff. ;D No excuses.

*including the lingerie section.  8)  :laugh:

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Ken B

Quote from: LKB on March 13, 2019, 03:23:07 PM
Thanks for the recommendation. I have vivid memories of watching the coverage of the landing and subsequent EVA, and this is right up my alley.

About to turn blue,

LKB

Sobering to think that men walking on the moon is distant history, that more time separates us from the first moon landing than separated it from the crash of 1929, or the talkies, or the start of prohibition.

Ciaccona

Quote from: NikF4 on March 07, 2019, 04:12:24 AM
You're welcome.  :)  And if you haven't seen it before, maybe check out Binoche in Certified Copy/Copie conforme ? - and if the banality of a bickering couple gets too much, watch it with the sound down and enjoy the way it looks - it's beautiful, in part down to lacking the whole contrived 'look at how tasteful and discerning I am' BS.  8)

Thanks I haven't seen that one - I'll try to check it out at some stage. :)

LKB

Quote from: Ken B on March 13, 2019, 08:03:33 PM
Sobering to think that men walking on the moon is distant history, that more time separates us from the first moon landing than separated it from the crash of 1929, or the talkies, or the start of prohibition.

I've always been disappointed that the US expended lives, treasure and effort in order to reach the Moon, and then stopped cold after only six missions.

:(,

LKB

Karl Henning

Again: The Trouble With Harry
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Ken B

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on March 16, 2019, 05:01:23 PM
Again: The Trouble With Harry
The Blu Ray? The restoration is remarkable, and makes it a very different (and much, much better) movie than the one I saw on VHS.