Started by Drasko, April 06, 2007, 07:51:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Star Trek II & III, The Wrath of Khan, The Search for Spock.

The music for the re-fusion ritual is especially beautiful
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

LKB

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on March 17, 2019, 03:08:57 PM
Star Trek II & III, The Wrath of Khan, The Search for Spock.

The music for the re-fusion ritual is especially beautiful

I always thought Reliant should have been upholstered in rich Corinthian leather.

Despite being a Trekker for over fifty years, I've only seen the third one once. Perhaps it's time to revisit the film...

::),

LKB
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

listener

I wouldn't inflict this on a stranger but for someone with a interest in the subject a two-disc set of 1) curiosities, sideshow acts and such from 1896 to 1916 for use as attractions in showings by travelling presemters  and 2) local interest films from Trier, Saarbrücken and Luxembourg shot by theatre owners who realized that people would come to see themselves on screen even as part of a crowd.
The second disc has a selection of commentary languages including Trier/Luxemburgisch.
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

SimonNZ

I'm afraid I didn't like this anywhere near as much as some others here seem to have.

The slow pace didn't bother me, it just ultimately felt empty or slight despite hints at greater possibilities

Daverz

Damsel

[asin]B07FP4HFX4[/asin]

Slow and a slight.  The Jarmusch influence is pretty heavy.  I was mostly amused, but I also looked at the clock several times.

The Quake

[asin]B07KZGS62G[/asin]

Follow-on to The Wave.  Disaster seems to follow a geologist every where he goes.  They reference an Oslo quake from 100 years ago, so I googled it.  There was a 5.4 magnitude quake in Oslo in 1904.  5.4!   :laugh:

Level 16

[asin]B07N3PVD7Z[/asin]

Derivative, but fairly well-done low-budget, YA sci-fi.

The Lez Bomb

[asin]6317580928[/asin]

I suggest passing.

Wonder Woman

[asin]B0714QRG4Z[/asin]

Finally caught up with this one.  Fast paced and mostly charming.

Draško

Mostly crap, but it's fitting, so was the band.

lisa needs braces

"The 9th film by Quentin Tarantino" the trailer announces.

The sheer arrogance and self-regard!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Scf8nIJCvs4

I will be there opening day, of course.

TheGSMoeller

A few of the movies I watched recently, and no, A Fantastic Woman is not the sequel to A Serious Man.

SonicMan46

Mary Poppins Returns (2018) w/ Emily Blunt, Lin-Manuel Miranda, and others - streamed in our hotel room on a large HDTV during a recent spring trip to Florida - of course, the ratings where 'mixed' but being a fan of the original 1964 film w/ Julie Andrews (which I own on BD), we wanted to view the 'sequel' - enjoyed; music was sub-par for us - probably would do a 3 1/2*/5* rating on Amazon.

In the Line of Fire (1993) w/ Clint Eastwood, John Malkovich, and Rene Russo (also own on BD) - I have a LOT of Eastwood in my DVD/BD collection - kind of divide his career into the Westerns, Dirty Harrys, and the Others, which I would include this one among many additional films - ratings: 7.2/10, IMDB; 96%, Rotten Tomatoes; and 3.5/4, Roger Ebert - I would agree and likely would do a 4*/5* on Amazon.  Dave :)

Karl Henning

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on March 24, 2019, 04:57:52 AM
A few of the movies I watched recently, and no, A Fantastic Woman is not the sequel to A Serious Man.

How did you like it, Greg?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on March 24, 2019, 01:44:29 PM
How did you like it, Greg?

Quite a bit, Karl! The journey of Larry in this film reminded me of Llewyn Davis' journey, which I find the Coen's are masters in telling. Although Llewyn Davis was much more stubborn, and caused many of his troubles, whereas Larry in A Serious Man watches powerless as his life is turned upside down. But as with many of the Coen's films, it's filled with intriguing supporting characters, and gorgeous cinematography from Roger Deakins. Recommended viewing!

Karl Henning

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on March 24, 2019, 04:50:33 PM
Quite a bit, Karl! The journey of Larry in this film reminded me of Llewyn Davis' journey, which I find the Coen's are masters in telling. Although Llewyn Davis was much more stubborn, and caused many of his troubles, whereas Larry in A Serious Man watches powerless as his life is turned upside down. But as with many of the Coen's films, it's filled with intriguing supporting characters, and gorgeous cinematography from Roger Deakins. Recommended viewing!

Cool, I do love it, too
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

André

Ciaccona

Quote from: Draško on March 23, 2019, 03:55:49 PM

Mostly crap, but it's fitting, so was the band.

Going to watch this one soon!. :)

Jaakko Keskinen

I don't know whether they enhanced the special effects afterwards but this looks awesome! The writing was top-notch as well (I haven't read Wells yet but it seems the movie was changed from the book quite a bit, especially in its portrayal of clergy plus the fact that the world wars are mentioned).
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

NikF4

Quote from: Alberich on March 29, 2019, 10:56:29 AM

I don't know whether they enhanced the special effects afterwards but this looks awesome! The writing was top-notch as well (I haven't read Wells yet but it seems the movie was changed from the book quite a bit, especially in its portrayal of clergy plus the fact that the world wars are mentioned).

Even if they didn't, as the saying goes 'you can't polish a turd". So with that in mind -

A combo of the practical effects being life size (as opposed to miniatures) that are photographed in three strip technicolour with a film speed the *equivalent of maybe about modern ISO 5 - while something like an iphone might be about 25 or 50? - which means with the correct use 'grain the size of tennis balls' is far away. And skilled use of double exposures, although in some scenes clearly imperfect.
Also, depsite what most(?) online 'experts' state, while War of the Worlds was screened in the US in an aspect ratio of 1.66 : 1 it was shot at 1.37:1, which as anyone who knows anything about this stuff will tell you means greater (or at least different) options are available as far as making the viewer see stuff in a certain way.

I don't know if you watched it in a cinema, but if not then maybe try to do so - it looks even cooler and you'll experience the cinematographer dragging your eyes over the big screen at his whim.  8) Anyway, glad to hear you enjoyed it.  :)

*Yeah, I know it's not possible to directly compare

SonicMan46

Quote from: Alberich on March 29, 2019, 10:56:29 AM

One of my favorite Sci-Fi films from the 1950s (when I was a kid!) - I own the DVD below which fills the screen on my HDTV, so assume 1.66 aspect ratio as shown in the technical stats from IMDB - apparently also recorded in 'stereo' - the back cover notes states 'Dolby Digital - English 2.0 Surround - English & French Mono'  Now, filmed on a 35 mm negative format which should make a decent blu-ray restoration if the original is in good condition - BUT, I've been waiting for years for a BD of this great film to appear - .  Dave :)

SimonNZ

Watchable but slight, and they tried way too hard to be noirish and stylized with at best mixed results.